Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2014, 02:59 PM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 39
We had a lighting strike it saved are Rv it took out rvs that didn't have one best money spent !
__________________

__________________
Cowboy52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:57 PM   #22
Camper Less Camping
 
Cajun Po-Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NW
Posts: 3,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
for me, it has become a "must." i have a large investment in my camper and protecting my investment is high on my list.

Franks Autotransformers
x2k
__________________

__________________
2013 Sabre 32RCTS-6 (sold)
Family of 4 whose always on the GEAUX!
Cajun Po-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:46 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Hutch333id's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cochrane, AB
Posts: 756
I have to question why the manufactures don't install these as standard in their rigs? There is so much at stake in a high cost unit for such a relatively low cost device to protect it. I'm sure that if Forest River with all its manufacturing subsidiaries approached Progressive Industries they could come up with a deal that would actually drop the price of the surge protectors and have them installed at source.
__________________


Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:51 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Todouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 849
Because it keeps you coming back to the service dept. and they have to stay competitive to other brands so it all boils down to money! Always
__________________
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:18 AM   #25
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch333id View Post
I have to question why the manufactures don't install these as standard in their rigs? There is so much at stake in a high cost unit for such a relatively low cost device to protect it. I'm sure that if Forest River with all its manufacturing subsidiaries approached Progressive Industries they could come up with a deal that would actually drop the price of the surge protectors and have them installed at source.
Because not everyone wants a cheap surge suppressor. If one came pre-installed, my first official act would be to rip it out and put a Franks Auto-Transformer in. Others would want the Progressive unit.

MOST would just leave the cheap, almost no protection at all, stock unit in; thinking they were protected. Which actually may be worse than KNOWING you are walking barefoot in a world of broken glass.
__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:10 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Long Island
Posts: 519
Would be nice if a good one was an option.
__________________
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:16 AM   #27
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwedell View Post
Would be nice if a good one was an option.
There are ALWAYS "dealer installed options." Just make sure to specify which one you want when you negotiate the sale. Many folks have solar and other "options" installed on their new units.

There are too many different kinds for a manufacturer to offer it.
Just think of trying to buy your Ford Truck with a different radio.
__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:37 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
Firefighter969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Stevensville, MD
Posts: 180
Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C first thing I bought and put in the new trailer last year. Would like not to be one of those horror stories hopefully.
__________________
2000 F250 Superduty CC LB 7.3 4x4
2013 344QB Wildcat
Nights camped 2014 ( 15)
Nights Camped 2015 ( 4 )
Firefighter969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:45 AM   #29
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 82
The night before the Goshen rally last year we were staying in the KOA up the road. It was full and everyone was running their ACs. There was a power surge and we lost it for about 10 minutes. Fortunately when the power came back on all was well, but we learned our lesson.
Wanted to have a Progressive hardwired model installed while we were at the fairgrounds, but evidently there wasn't an onsite dealer. As soon as we got back to Houston we had our dealer order and install it. We are not electrically talented and by having the dealer do that work they will warranty both product and labor.
As for the portable units, besides relying on a lightweight metal loop to lock them to the pedestal, they don't have the range of protection and readouts that you get with hardwire. While our TT is neither the cheapest or the most expensive on the road we do plan to keep it for at least another 5 years and count our PI surge protector as very reasonable protection, especially over an extended period of time.
__________________
Ray and Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:32 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 7,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray and Steph View Post
The night before the Goshen rally last year we were staying in the KOA up the road. It was full and everyone was running their ACs. There was a power surge and we lost it for about 10 minutes. Fortunately when the power came back on all was well, but we learned our lesson.
Wanted to have a Progressive hardwired model installed while we were at the fairgrounds, but evidently there wasn't an onsite dealer. As soon as we got back to Houston we had our dealer order and install it. We are not electrically talented and by having the dealer do that work they will warranty both product and labor.
As for the portable units, besides relying on a lightweight metal loop to lock them to the pedestal, they don't have the range of protection and readouts that you get with hardwire. While our TT is neither the cheapest or the most expensive on the road we do plan to keep it for at least another 5 years and count our PI surge protector as very reasonable protection, especially over an extended period of time.
What does a hardwire do that the progressive plug in do not show on the display outside. Besides not having a remote screen on the inside of trailer? showing the samething...
__________________

__________________
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:03 PM.