Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2015, 02:12 AM   #1

Surge protectors and line check

Just wanted to post just how important it is to have a good Surge guard and line check on your unit . We were in Ohio last week and checked in on Monday and when I plugged in and let my Progressive unit do its check of power it found there was no neutral and so I called the office and waited for 2 hours and no one showed up . I went to the office and the manager came out and said that they had checked the power pole and couldn't find anything wrong , so I go back and plug in again and this time it checked ok so I plugged up and later that night our a/c started humming and I shut it off real quick and went out and checked and guess what , we had lost it again and it was 930pm and starting to storm and the temp shot up to over 85 in the 5vr real fast . The dear wife said she wasn't staying there so we jump in the truck and find a motel for the night . In the morning we return and I go to the office and tell them what had happened and want it fixed , again they come out and play with it and it comes on again and works all day until 10pm but the weather had cooled off and we stayed all night this time , get up in the morning and head to the office again and this time I meet with the electrician and show him how I know we had no power and if he can not fix it we wanted to be moved . He replaced the 50amp outlet and we had power for the remaining of our trip . This is why it is why I paid for a good progressive unit , Money well spent or we would of had major problems .
14 CC 38CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:54 AM   #2

that's exactly why it's important to have a quality unit like PI. I will never be without one. Some people are happy doing a quick check with a voltmeter before plugging in, but that doesn't do any good when things go wrong later on. I've been saved a few times with mine also. I would rather be inconvenienced with no power for a short time than lose thousands worth of electrical devices.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 03:33 PM   #3

No neutral is a bad condition because it enables 240 volts to be applied to all 120 volt appliances and fixtures. This fries a bunch of stuff. Glad you had the PI unit. I too have a PI unit installed in my CC.

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:06 PM   #4

Just got my PI PT 30 EMS last week, and it sold me on the first camping trip. I will never plug in my trailer without it again. If you don't have one, you need to get one.
olbob52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:42 PM   #5

all the people that don't claim the need one, it's only because they don't know how often they are damaging their electronics. Lots of bad connections out there.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
all the people that don't claim the need one, it's only because they don't know how often they are damaging their electronics. Lots of bad connections out there.
What amazed me was the voltage fluctuation. I never thought about how much the voltage would change even minute to minute. Watching it change from 122 to as much as 127 volts was an eye opener.
olbob52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:50 AM   #7

I sent mine back to shop, I think it got water in it, I had used it for three years, I never had a problem

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I sent mine back to shop, I think it got water in it, I had used it for three years, I never had a problem

Did you have one of the portable, plug in types? I had one that got wet a couple years ago. Progressive gladly sent me another but I ask them to send me a hard wire type, no problems since.

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:25 AM   #9

Mine is in the shop now, will they trade for a hard wire one?

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Mine is in the shop now, will they trade for a hard wire one?

If I recall they said they could send me a reconditioned HW50C that would have the same warranty as a new one, at no additional cost or I would have to pay the difference between the portable and the HW. I chose the reconditioned unit because I knew Progressive would stand behind it. It has worked great for over three years and it is currently on it's second fifth wheel.

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ret2006 View Post
If I recall they said they could send me a reconditioned HW50C that would have the same warranty as a new one, at no additional cost or I would have to pay the difference between the portable and the HW. I chose the reconditioned unit because I knew Progressive would stand behind it. It has worked great for over three years and it is currently on it's second fifth wheel.
Nothing wrong with reconditioned / refurbished units. I buy camera equipment that way all the time. I figure it has been gone over well and checked for everything. Any problems have been corrected. If you buy a new unit it may have gotten past their quality control.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 03:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14 CC 38CK View Post
Just wanted to post just how important it is to have a good Surge guard and line check on your unit . We were in Ohio last week and checked in on Monday and when I plugged in and let my Progressive unit do its check of power it found there was no neutral and so I called the office and waited for 2 hours and no one showed up . I went to the office and the manager came out and said that they had checked the power pole and couldn't find anything wrong , so I go back and plug in again and this time it checked ok so I plugged up and later that night our a/c started humming and I shut it off real quick and went out and checked and guess what , we had lost it again and it was 930pm and starting to storm and the temp shot up to over 85 in the 5vr real fast . The dear wife said she wasn't staying there so we jump in the truck and find a motel for the night . In the morning we return and I go to the office and tell them what had happened and want it fixed , again they come out and play with it and it comes on again and works all day until 10pm but the weather had cooled off and we stayed all night this time , get up in the morning and head to the office again and this time I meet with the electrician and show him how I know we had no power and if he can not fix it we wanted to be moved . He replaced the 50amp outlet and we had power for the remaining of our trip . This is why it is why I paid for a good progressive unit , Money well spent or we would of had major problems .
I have a 30 amp plug with circuit tester plugged into it checks for loose or no ground , reverse polarity, etc. Then check with volt meter and use a surge protector. Worked at a campground slack time I would go around checking pedestals could'nt believe how many had wiring problems.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:08 AM   #13

Just install my 50 amp P,I. & it would not work . I called they tech line & they had m do a lot of tests & said the main board was defective & woud mail me a replacement. Still waiting,