Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2013, 06:07 AM   #1

Tailgater Portable Satellite Antenna by Dish

Is anyone using the Dish Tailgater? If so, are you happy with it? Does it work as advertised? Thanks
Mike&Nan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:20 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike&Nan View Post
Is anyone using the Dish Tailgater? If so, are you happy with it? Does it work as advertised? Thanks
I purchased a Tailgater and receiver a little over a year ago. The Tailgater really works great. Soooooooooooo much easier than my old dish on a tripod. Well worth the price.

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike&Nan View Post
I have been using one for 2 years, bought it directly from Dish for $350.00. Only problem I have ever had is if there are too many trees to point it through and you would have this to deal with no matter what unit you choose to buy, works great for us.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:32 AM   #4

Bought a Tailgater when we has our Rockwood. Kept it for use when mounted antenna on MH would be blocked by trees. Works great to be able to off-set antenna when needed. Almost fool proof in use - just point handle North and let the system aim itself!!!

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #5

This year in June we decided we wanted to have a sat dish in the rig again (had one many years ago) due to longer trips now..... Purchased a manual dish as I didn't want to spend the $$ on the tailgater. Long story short, returned the manual dish the next day and purchased the tailgater and don't regret it for a second.
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:52 AM   #6

A friend of mine has one and it's been fine. Just keep in mind that it only supports one tuner (eg, one channel at a time). If you need more, you need to buy something else (like a real dish).
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
A friend of mine has one and it's been fine. Just keep in mind that it only supports one tuner (eg, one channel at a time). If you need more, you need to buy something else (like a real dish).
Or a wingard carry out.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post

Or a wingard carry out.
A Winegard Carryout will support (max) two channels at the same time but there is a restriction they have to both be on the same Sat (110, 119, or 129). Also with a Carryout, you have to run a separate wire to each receiver whereas with a real DP-Plus dish you can use just the wiring already inside the RV (with the right receiver). Just my opinion that I don't find the Winegard products to be very appealing (although their new Pathway will be a good competitor for the Tailgater).
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
X2, Barry is correct and not only that you need to make sure you have a tuner that supports the Tailgater, I don't think all Dish tuners do this. Mine is the VIP211K, another thing you can do is have the external hard drive feature activated by dish ($40 one time) then you can record movies or whatever on the drive while at home base then watch when out camping (I do this with a 'My Book' by Western Digital, works great).
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:41 PM   #10

i have a tailgaiter AND carry a dish 500 fullsize......why...??

KIDS!!

our trailer has usually at least 3 tvs set up....and many times the 4th on the outside ...

the tailgaiter only supports ONE channel at a time....so if i wanna watch the game or wife and i wanna watch a non kid rated movie on hbo, then they are stuck with dvd or nothing....

and honestly more often than not, the ladys will congregate inside cooking or talking or feeding kids while us men do our thing around the outside kitchen with smoke flavored meats and cocktails....

in those situations its worth it to go through the hassle of setting up the fullsize....i actually just use a dual tuner box (you are not restricted to box type with a fullsize) and use two channels..... his and hers channels.....much how i have found happiness in many other aspects of marrige...his and hers...LOL

if its just me and the wife or a shorter stay, i just toss out the tailgaiter......it really is that simple... although on my last trip to new mexico neither my nor my neighbors tailgaiter would pull a signal in the mts.....but i managed to get ONE sat the 119 on the fullsize....so i was the ONLY one with tv......

tailgaiter is super easy and fast to switch sat feeds.....so for one channel its my go to and preferrd method....a fullsize dish can be had cheap anyway....
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #11

Thanks to all for the great input!
Mike&Nan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, satellite