Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2014, 05:25 PM   #1

Taking the leap (of faith) !!!

I'm just a mere inch from pulling the trigger on a new 2015 36 CKTS special order from Jeff Couch's RV Nation. The price is right and the financing is good. I've researched the insurance and roadside assistance and my tow vehicle is good to go. However, I'm sitting here thinking why I just can't move beyond my doubts, call the salesman, and say "let's do this". I figured the folks on this forum would maybe understand how I feel and possibly lend some common or uncommon sense. We've looked at lots and lots different brands of these units so I know what I'm buying. It's an understatement to say it's not a perfect product. Some friends of ours just had to trade in a 2012 CC 36CKTS on a 2014 36 CKTS because of a major manufacturing assembly related mistake (installation error on 2nd AC resulted in water leakage over a 2 year period). But, despite their misfortune, they wanted another 36 CKTS. They also felt they had no other choice. Not sure I agreed, but that's another story. I'm just afraid of buying something that I have to constantly fix or worse that has problems beyond my capability to fix. Having said all that, we are both on the back side of 60 and really want to try this and we don't want to start small and trade up thru 3 or 4 units (losing money each time) to find the one we want. We feel this is the one we want, but yours truly is sitting here at his computer screen constantly having second thoughts. Anyway, thanks for listening to my rant and if anyone has a similar story to tell, I would be very happy to hear it. Signed: future 36CKTS owner, maybe, possibly, not sure, or whatever!!!!
joesmainship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:32 PM   #2

Hey if your on the (Back side of 60) go for it! You (Aint) going to live to be (140)! The Premo years are getting short! Camo on! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:36 PM   #3

To me, the investment in a good time & memories is well worth it. The rv is no different than your car or truck. It's a machine, depends on craftsmanship. Sure it's a gamble, but invest in warranties & a good dealer will be there to help.
Poppy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Hey if your on the (Back side of 60) go for it! You (Aint) going to live to be (140)! The Premo years are getting short! Camo on! Youroo!!
The hell I'm not. I'm planning on living to a hundred and ? then sliding into the graveyard with my hair on fire sayin' it's been one heck of a ride!!!
Old 10-23-2014, 05:44 PM   #5

No mfg produces 100% perfect rigs, all rigs are a constant upkeep task, all rigs cost extra $$ to keep on the road ($500 today to clean, inspect and fix a few seams, treat for UV, wash rig)... all those aside we love our Cedar Creek and the few issues we did have Cedar Creek Warranty dept worked well with us and our local RV Servicer (not a dealer) to get them fixed promptly and without extra cost or pain in the process.

I would not hesitate to buy another CC rig, just a through PDI when it comes in and before you finalize the deal and then enjoy the camping!
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 06:07 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'm with Youroo, go for it. I've bought from Couch's and have been treated good, but I only live about an hour away from them. The one thing that makes a good experience, is have a good dealer who will do warranty work and such for you. Things will happen, they are typically small things, but if your local dealer is a joke, they can turn you otherwise normally good experience into a nightmare. Buy from Couch's, but but since you're not local, find yourself a local dealer that will work on the unit before hand.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 06:50 PM   #7

Call the salesman!
Old 10-23-2014, 06:56 PM   #8

GO FOR IT. I retired in August and for better than a year prior to that we looked at everything out there. We also had the same reservations as you. When we finally said lets do it, it was like a major weight was lifted, best decision we could have made and have not looked back.
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:02 PM   #9

That's what my next and hopefully last trailer will be. Nothing is perfect. If you get into this be prepared to spend about $1,000.00 annually for maintenance and be aware that there are things you must be able to fix yourself. If you aren't somewhat handy this might not be for you.
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:07 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesmainship View Post
I'm just a mere inch from pulling the trigger on a new 2015 36 CKTS special order from Jeff Couch's RV Nation. The price is right and the financing is good. I've researched the insurance and roadside assistance and my tow vehicle is good to go. However, I'm sitting here thinking why I just can't move beyond my doubts, call the salesman, and say "let's do this". I figured the folks on this forum would maybe understand how I feel and possibly lend some common or uncommon sense. We've looked at lots and lots different brands of these units so I know what I'm buying. It's an understatement to say it's not a perfect product. Some friends of ours just had to trade in a 2012 CC 36CKTS on a 2014 36 CKTS because of a major manufacturing assembly related mistake (installation error on 2nd AC resulted in water leakage over a 2 year period). But, despite their misfortune, they wanted another 36 CKTS. They also felt they had no other choice. Not sure I agreed, but that's another story. I'm just afraid of buying something that I have to constantly fix or worse that has problems beyond my capability to fix. Having said all that, we are both on the back side of 60 and really want to try this and we don't want to start small and trade up thru 3 or 4 units (losing money each time) to find the one we want. We feel this is the one we want, but yours truly is sitting here at his computer screen constantly having second thoughts. Anyway, thanks for listening to my rant and if anyone has a similar story to tell, I would be very happy to hear it. Signed: future 36CKTS owner, maybe, possibly, not sure, or whatever!!!!
I stressed myself out a bit when I first pulled the trigger about whether or not I had made the right choice. Since then I have learned that there is little that we cannot recover from. On my 3rd trip it suddenly hit me that I did make the right choice with buying the TT and selecting that particular model.

I do have a couple of questions to ask:
1) Are you OK with waiting a little while before pulling the trigger?
2) Are you OK with the unit you selected, the place of purchases and the overall deal?

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:13 PM   #11

I retired and sold my house in June 2013. Couch's ordered my 36CKTS exactly the way I wanted. I took delivery in August and immediately hit the road and haven't looked back since. My thoughts at the time was to get exactly what I wanted the first time so I wouldn't have to do it over again. One bit of caution, your profile show a Ford 3/4 ton. This is a long and heavy trailer. I know there are some people out there that pull with that but you are probably going to be over you weight limits. Study that issue really careful.
wanderer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
I do have a couple of questions to ask:
1) Are you OK with waiting a little while before pulling the trigger?
2) Are you OK with the unit you selected, the place of purchases and the overall deal?

We are in no hurry to do this. However, rumors are that there are two significant prices increases coming in the new FR CC units, one in Dec, and another in Jan. Apparently, sales has been exceptionally good this year and FR feels they can raise prices significantly. So, if that happens, it could possibly cost us a couple of thousand or more to wait.

We really like the 36 CKTS floorplan. Although we would rather buy from a local dealer, no one can even come close to Couch's prices, even considering the expense of driving up to get it.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:02 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

First of all, I cannot stress enough how important it is to buy from a GOOD dealer who believes in customer service. When we started looking into RVing about 6 years ago, we visited all the local big dealerships and didn't feel like any of them saw us as anything other than a commission. Then, we went into a VERY small Mom & Pop owned dealership and felt like family and just bought our 2nd TT from them. Service before, during, and after the sale is what they do...and they are RVer's who don't lie to us. (The owner doesn't even sell covers here because he knows the winds here tear them to shreds and he's seen them damage RVs here.)
We were, also, going to wait until we were in our mid-60's before buying one but my wife met a lady who was a widow. They bought their RV when her husband retired at 65 and he died at 67....so they only have less than 2 years of RVing. She advised us to buy now while were were young and that's what we did. (We were both 47 when we bought our first RV and it's our biggest hobby now that our girls are married and busy with their own families.)
This year, we brought the grandbabies a couple of times and can't wait until next year when we can bring more of the kids/grandbabies. (That's a big reason for upgrading our TT AND trading in the Tacoma for a Tundra...we can fit 3 people in the back seat comfortably.)

Good luck!

Rick & Karen
Monument, Colorado
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:11 AM   #14

Cedar Creek is a good brand and the CKTS is a very good rig. You seem to be satisfied with the dealer and the CC factory has great customer service. Are you guaranteed not to get a lemon? Of course not, but a good dealer and Cedar Creek will help you if you have that bad luck. PULL THAT TRIGGER and get started camping!

After you do it, join the Cedar Creek RV Owners Club. $25 a year. Good folks , the rallies are great, and the guys will help you with any minor repairs you may find necessary.
2013 Chevy 3500HD, D/A, DRW, 4X4
WeRCreekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 02:28 PM   #15

My advise is find what you want, buy it....you only live once(that goes for everything)...we have a 35QB4...just traded off our toy hauler few months back, could have waited, could have saved more later or paid more....bottom line is wouldn't be setting at Catherine Lake, Ark. relaxing, after 8 hour drive and 15 min to set up vs. old manual jacks.....no sense in waiting, life sure doesn't.......

2nd advise is, if you buy it, use it....we are actually on way to a training class for my company, why not take the house......too many parks and too easy to set up these days not to use one...

3rd advise, not 100% but most of time, many people I am sure feel this way....no matter how much you shop, study, look or think...in the end doesn't matter how state of art, how much improvements, new or old, good or bad price...you always find something wrong or better than with what you have......that applies to cars, trucks, computers and just about everything....

Now if you ask the "moved out and on their own children", they would say mom and dad are spending our inheritance...eventually I will tell them it is already spent...

good luck and enjoy...

Outlawadventurer
2010 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually 6.7L
2014 Cedar Creek Silverback 35QB4
OutlawAdventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:29 PM   #16

I own a 2009 36 CKTS Cedar Creek AND my best advice that owning a full size RV that's high in there is no perfect world little things like tightening the hinges and just basic maintenance cuz its like owning another house you to take care of it.
mycedarcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:38 PM   #17

I personally have enjoyed the rig and we had no major issues. We've had several other rigs I do believe they make a very sound and well built rig compared to some of the other manufacturers they really care about what they're doing compared to some of the other manufacturers I would highly recommend the Cedar Creek the good for us you been full time since 2009 and we traveled threw 10 states we dont speed and our truck that pulls it is a super duty f250 v10 . This is us in Oregon traveling through to spokan Washington. Good luck go Rving
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1414200972036.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	65275  
mycedarcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 02:41 PM   #18
CCRVOC

IMHO it is not a leap of faith if you do your homework, go to RV shows, research, and ask questions, especially on forums. Once you have come to a conclusion, order it, buy a DRW, and go pick it up. That is what we did over a 3-4 year period and we could not be happier with our choice
2012 Dodge 3500, SLT Big Horn,CC,DRW,Cummins HO, EB, 4x4, 3:73, Retrax Pro, Q20, TST507, Garmin RV760, Sleek 4g
2014 Cedar Creek, 36CKTS, 1000w Solar, TriStar MPPT 60, Magnum 2000w, PI EMS, WiFi Ranger Elite, Sleek 4g, Wingard DTV Traveler
Retired Army in 1995, and now retired in 2016
Ramblin Recks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:59 PM   #19

For joesmainship - Wouldn't recommend over-investing emotionally in your purchase. We bought our Cedar Creek from Brannon at Jeff Couch's and couldn't ask for a better experience. It took us about an hour to make up our minds. Unfortunately, we wrecked it on our very first fuel stop on our first trip. Wouldn't want it to happen to anyone but it can. Imagine if I'd "invested" all that concern into my purchase. Instead of the camper, I too would have been a wreck.
Sterlingsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterlingsilver View Post
For joesmainship - Wouldn't recommend over-investing emotionally in your purchase. We bought our Cedar Creek from Brannon at Jeff Couch's and couldn't ask for a better experience. It took us about an hour to make up our minds. Unfortunately, we wrecked it on our very first fuel stop on our first trip. Wouldn't want it to happen to anyone but it can. Imagine if I'd "invested" all that concern into my purchase. Instead of the camper, I too would have been a wreck.
Thanks for your thoughtful reply, Sterlingsilver. After getting our clock cleaned by hurricane Katrina, we don't get too invested in "things" anymore. They can be taken away quicker than you can even imagine. However, we don't like throwing good, hard-earned money after poor products. We talked to an RV collision repair place today and he said that no matter what we buy, if it has slides, we are going to suffer water intrusion related damage eventually with these units. He said he has a repair lot full of them waiting to be fixed. Why they have not gone to composites and still use laminated luan board, he doesn't know. He suggested looking at products that have gone more towards non-wood products in making their campers. Anyway, we will probably pull the trigger sooner than later. Thanks to everyone for sharing your feelings and opinions. It really helps.