Old 01-25-2019, 06:13 AM   #1

Tank vent cleaning

Iím thinking our tanks are not venting correctly. We still getting orders from in the storage area and also in the kitchen. We replaced the auto vent under the kitchen sink.

Still have a strange order frequently in the kitchen area. I looking for issues with other vents. Thinking about checking roof vents.

What are some good techniques for checking functionality roof vents? Or how to just clean them?

Boatdude62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 12:17 PM   #2

This is a very touchy question. Probably why not many replies. The easiest way to see if your vent is clear is to simply go on to the roof remove the cover, ( be careful you may find a wasp nest that is your problem), and run water down the vent if it drains to the tanks it is open. Now for the problem in doing this, if the vent pipe is not attached at some fitting you may wind up with water in a wall.

I do have to ask a question. When do you notice this odor. We had a similar issue ours was mostly during shower time when running the bath fan. Our problem was solved by creating a trap in our exterior drain hose, we found that sewer oder was being pulled in thru the kitchen tank. With all of our valves closed we never had the odor.

Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 05:29 PM   #3

We first noticed the odor open the big storage door. Itís dry with no sign of anything leaking. We also noticed it open the door under kitchen sink. Then also when we pull out the trash cabinet drawer I notice an smell.

I replaced the auto vent on the pipe under the sink. I still smell odors under there. Maybe I should clean the trap there?

The odor itís not always noticeable. Thatís why I thought about the roof vents. I would think thereís a safe practice for checking them. But there seems to be allot of voodoo on this subject.

I suppose a snack camera would work, if they make one that long?
Old 01-26-2019, 05:53 PM   #4
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatdude62 View Post
We first noticed the odor open the big storage door. Itís dry with no sign of anything leaking. We also noticed it open the door under kitchen sink. Then also when we pull out the trash cabinet drawer I notice an smell.

I replaced the auto vent on the pipe under the sink. I still smell odors under there. Maybe I should clean the trap there?

The odor itís not always noticeable. Thatís why I thought about the roof vents. I would think thereís a safe practice for checking them. But there seems to be allot of voodoo on this subject.

I suppose a snack camera would work, if they make one that long?

I bought a 16' endoscope from amazon. Easy to use and transmits to my smartphone or tablet via wi-fi.
Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
The Faster I Go, The Behinder I Get.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 11:45 PM   #5

Thanks.....I ordered a 33 footer from amazon. Should do the trick.

Tags
cleaning, tank, vent