Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2018, 08:26 PM   #1
Global Nomad

Television Sound out of Stereo Speakers

I have a 36CKTS with a Jensen entertainment system. I read here some time ago how to wire my Jensen TV to the stereo speakers, rather than the TV speakers. Since I have to remove my fireplace to clean the sensor, this would be a good time to do this. Has anyone done this and can give me guidence?
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:32 PM   #2

May already be wired to AUX2 on your Jensen. You just select output from your TV to the correct setting, and set your input on your Jensen DVD player to AUX2. I do not have the steps, but that is how I have been doing it for 2 years. I replaced the existing speakers above the fireplace with decent car speakers and it has made all the difference in the world.
CC75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:18 AM   #3

Just did it on mine. You need an optical wire that goes from Samsung tv to Jensen stereo. Amazon has them for $7 to 8, wally world for $13.
You will need a 6 foot one. You will need to remove the tv and fireplace to fish the wire down. Once the wire is run you have to pull stereo out to plug it into the back of it. Much better sound when watching tv, it does not need to be turned up so high to hear it.
2008 F350
2017 CC Champagne 38EL
2006 Salem Sport 32 SRV Toy Hauler (still have)
brusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:07 AM   #4
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by brusso View Post
Just did it on mine. You need an optical wire that goes from Samsung tv to Jensen stereo. Amazon has them for $7 to 8, wally world for $13.
You will need a 6 foot one. You will need to remove the tv and fireplace to fish the wire down. Once the wire is run you have to pull stereo out to plug it into the back of it. Much better sound when watching tv, it does not need to be turned up so high to hear it.
My TV is the same as the stereo system, Jensen. There is no port on the TV for an optical wire (actually, I don't know what an optical wire is).

Old 02-17-2018, 06:51 AM   #5

Why not a soundbar??
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:51 AM   #6

On mine I enabled HDMI ARC on the TV and then select HDMI ARC on the stereo unit and all is well.
K4DCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:13 AM   #7
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4DCF View Post
On mine I enabled HDMI ARC on the TV and then select HDMI ARC on the stereo unit and all is well.
My Jensen stereo only has front aux, rear aux, optical, and coaxial. My TV has HDMI 1, 2, & 3 and component A/V. The only one that gives me a picture is TV input.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:26 AM   #8

The HDMI ARC uses the HDMI cable from the TV HDMI 1 port to back feed the stereo. So no mater what input you select on the TV if the protocol is enabled in the tv stetings and it is selected as the input on the stereo it should work.
K4DCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:51 AM   #9

If you go to Amazon and search optical audio cable it will show you. I don't have a pic of it. If you use the optical it is better sound quality then the HDMI and it does not use one of the HDMI slots.
If you use the optical you will select optical, turn the sound down on tv and use stereo sound.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180217_074151.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	162634  
2008 F350
2017 CC Champagne 38EL
Old 02-17-2018, 10:18 AM   #10

Looks like to me your TV inputs don't match with any of the Jenson outputs. You can either get an adapter that will work such as HDMI to optical (they are a little expensive though) or you can opt for purchasing a sounder that will work with your Jenson unit. Other than that you have either your RCA option or Coax option based on what your TV is giving you. The optical solution is a good one but if I read your comment correctly, your TV doesn't give your an optical input.
wlrdchngr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Why did you have to remove the TV? Is yours not on a swivel bracket like mine? If so, is there not enough room to plug the optical wire in the back of the Samsung? I just assumed that the factory would have connected the TV to the Jensen sound bar and remote speakers, but I haven't gotten into it yet and your way seems to be a good solution.
2017 Ford F350 SRW CC SWB 4x2
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k Hitch
sh1pper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:23 AM   #12

One other thing, if you are using any type of cable, Satellite box or Apple TV, Roku devices you will always use the Optical or digital audio directly from those devices into your Jenson for best results. This bypasses your TV's audio and sends it directly to the source.
wlrdchngr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheinin View Post
I have a 36CKTS with a Jensen entertainment system. I read here some time ago how to wire my Jensen TV to the stereo speakers, rather than the TV speakers. Since I have to remove my fireplace to clean the sensor, this would be a good time to do this. Has anyone done this and can give me guidence?
All you have to do is turn on stereo. Select HDMI ARC for the source and hit enter twice. You have to hit enter twice for any function work on the Jensen stereo. It should have come from the factory already wired for what you want to do.
cody1884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:21 PM   #14

I don’t have a Jensen system, but to get our TV to play through the stereo speakers, I have to go into the settings for the TV and turn off the TV speakers.
2012 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost
2021 Ford F-250 Super Duty
OscarsMom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 03:20 PM   #15

Optical wire is S/P-DIF aka TOSlink

Quote:
The "optical wire" is actually an inexpensive plastic fiber optic cable. There's no copper in it. They can carry 5.1 channels of audio. They are a little delicate. Don't kink them and be careful not to break the tips off.

The trade names for the "optical wire" are S/P-DIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interface) and TOSlink (Toshiba link). It's the same standard, no difference.

Check to see if the Jensen has an AUX input labelled optical or S/P-DIF or TOSlink. If so, look for a similar output on the TV. If you don't have one, but there's a metallic TOSlink port, converters are available.

You can also get into situations where you use an audio extractor plugged into the HDMI source to extract the audio to optical. If you get into these complicated situations, PM me.

Larry
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:28 PM   #16
Global Nomad

I removed my fireplace to clean the vents, which gives me access to the TV and wiring. However in the Cedar Creek, the Jensen stereo is in a sealed cabinet with holes drilled for wiring. I would have to unscrew the unit from the cabinet to access. I am not sure this is worth the effort.

Old 02-17-2018, 04:38 PM   #17

Jensen sound bar upgrades

After re-wiring the speakers (factory had 2 channels on the outside L&R, one in the den ceiling, one in the soundbar and none in the bedroom. I now have 1 set wired to the outside, one to the den, one to the bedroom and one for the soundbar each with a left and right.
Tried to get the dealer to rewire it but it came out with bedroom and outside not wired or working....

The changes were replacing the two den ceiling speakers from Polk audio and adding a slim under the sofa type subwoofer behind the fireplace. The sub came with a vertical mounting barcaked and I added a cam strap to hold it vertical. The jensen came with a subwoofer out wire set. Super easy to hook up. Concerned about heat from the fireplace I ran the setup with the fireplace on and checked with an infrared laser thermometer that I use on my wheels, brakes and tires. No issues.

I accessed the wiring and placed the subwoofer by removing the drawer above the fireplace.

The sound is more than 100% improved. Enough bass so you can hear it, but with the Jensen soundbar not enough to rattle the outer wall and disturb other campers.

The speakers and sub were purchased form Jet.com when they ran a 20% off salem on electronics. Total cost was about $120
Here is the sub:
https://jet.com/product/Theater-Solu...647a56b3dc9f02
Randy-2198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 05:13 PM   #18
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy-2198 View Post
After re-wiring the speakers (factory had 2 channels on the outside L&R, one in the den ceiling, one in the soundbar and none in the bedroom. I now have 1 set wired to the outside, one to the den, one to the bedroom and one for the soundbar each with a left and right.
Tried to get the dealer to rewire it but it came out with bedroom and outside not wired or working....

The changes were replacing the two den ceiling speakers from Polk audio and adding a slim under the sofa type subwoofer behind the fireplace. The sub came with a vertical mounting barcaked and I added a cam strap to hold it vertical. The jensen came with a subwoofer out wire set. Super easy to hook up. Concerned about heat from the fireplace I ran the setup with the fireplace on and checked with an infrared laser thermometer that I use on my wheels, brakes and tires. No issues.

I accessed the wiring and placed the subwoofer by removing the drawer above the fireplace.

The sound is more than 100% improved. Enough bass so you can hear it, but with the Jensen soundbar not enough to rattle the outer wall and disturb other campers.

The speakers and sub were purchased form Jet.com when they ran a 20% off salem on electronics. Total cost was about $120
Here is the sub:
https://jet.com/product/Theater-Solu...647a56b3dc9f02
On my 36CKTS Cedar Creek, there is no drawer above the fireplace. That is where the stereo is. I took out the stereo and there is one HDMI port with an HDMI cable attached. I assume that is going to the TV. However, in trying all the sources on the Jensen, none let TV sound out of Jensen speakers.

I don't know how others have gotten the TV sound to go through the radio speakers.

Old 02-17-2018, 11:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarsMom2 View Post
I don’t have a Jensen system, but to get our TV to play through the stereo speakers, I have to go into the settings for the TV and turn off the TV speakers.

This is what I had to do with my Jensen! then put the radio on aux2
Old 02-18-2018, 08:33 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh1pper View Post
Why did you have to remove the TV? Is yours not on a swivel bracket like mine? If so, is there not enough room to plug the optical wire in the back of the Samsung? I just assumed that the factory would have connected the TV to the Jensen sound bar and remote speakers, but I haven't gotten into it yet and your way seems to be a good solution.
No mine is not on a swivel, it is as stationary and can not get to connection. Also have to feed wire down the back to get to stereo. I can also use the tv speakers at the same time as the optical mode on stereo, I just turn it down.
2008 F350
2017 CC Champagne 38EL

Tags
stereo, television