Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2015, 02:13 PM   #1

Tire Changing Using 6 Point Leveling

We just got our new 36CKTS with 6 point leveling, know some have used system to help when changing tires or working on hubs also know the manual says this is a NO NO but in case of emergence or not able to get jack under frame why not. Can someone share with me how to go about this if I desire to.
2014 F350 / 2015 CC 36 CKTS
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:36 PM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

Most folks with LevelUp carry pre-stacked lumber. I used 2x10's cut square and screwed 3 together to make blocks. Even added handles for ease of carry. The levelup works in pairs and sides. This prevents you from twisting the frame. To do what you want, simply put one block under each of the 3 jacks and push manual then push up for the side you want to raise. The blocks will keep the jacks from fully or over extending. I used this method to repack bearings twice without a problem. I use a jackstand under both axles for safety. Under normal use, levelup may lift tires off the ground anyway so whats the difference?
Old 04-30-2015, 05:29 PM   #3

Like the Duck sez....
I also use the Level-up jacks for tire/bearing work with wood blocks/safety jacks stands....works fine and safe on my 34RLSA. I only do this with it hitched to my F350 though.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:54 PM   #4

It is a hydraulic system, so they say don't use it that way because you would never know if a leak started and the rig fell... So it is safer for them (liability) to say "don't use it that way" than to create a fail-safe system. Even a hydraulic floor jack has the same basic warning. In a pinch I would use it just not remove more than one tire at a time per side, that way I don't become smaller if working near the rig and it fails...
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 01:03 PM   #5

Man I learn something new every day here . Thanks for the feed back guys I know I have used my levelers on my motorhome for this reason and thought it would work on the 5vr also.
14 CC 38CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 01:24 PM   #6

Much thanks for the information being new to 6 point system I just wanted to make sure I knew what I was doing. Thanks guys for feed back also.
2014 F350 / 2015 CC 36 CKTS
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:45 PM   #7

We bought a ramp from Cabela's some time ago and used it several times until we got rid of the China tires! Had one issue though and used the leveling system w/o fail.
DrippingDuo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling, tire