Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2012, 05:24 PM   #1

Tire problem

We have a 2012 30rl and have had 3 blowouts with less than 6,000 miles on the trailer.
Anybody have a good tire replacement. We are not overloaded and I check pressure before each move.
bigchief
bigchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:37 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Huh, 3 blowouts in 6000 miles has to be some kind of "bad" record.

Before I spent a lot of money on tires I would get your axles checked out by someone who knows what they are about.

You didn't drive over railroad ties or anything right?
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

First question I have, same tire on same axle? Random tire placement on trailer? Quote, we are not overloaded", did you scale your rig to prove this? Is your trailer level when connected and towing?

Last and most important, how fast do you normally tow? Be honest, answer these questions, and maybe we can help.

Also checking tire pressure is never enough. Did you ever get down and look at the tread? A bent axle will cause wear on the inside or outside, of a tire, and I have seen several come from the factory, where the axles were made upside down, causing severe tread wear on the inside of the tire. Cords showing, blowouts in 1500 miles, or less, not counting 500 miles from factory to dealer.

Just some things to check. Let us know.

(I am a part time tech)
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:30 PM   #4

Something is definitely wrong. There is no way you should have experienced 3 blowouts in less than 6000 miles of travel. Three probable causes, axles seriously out of alignment (by bet), grossly underinflated tires, or the inside of your tires are rubbing on something and causing the blowouts.

Did your Cedar Creek come with the standard LT "G" rated Goodyear tires or did you get ST "E" rated tires?

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:32 PM   #5

I did not have a blow out but was very close to it. We have 2008 silverback by Cedar Creek by Forest River, 2 tires rubbing together and one with a huge blister on the side. Come to find out it was my leaf springs, all 4 are flat and have ruined my tires. maybe something is wrong with your axel and that is the reason your tires are wearing out?? Has anyone else had a problem with Lipperts 6k axels and the leaf strings going bad? Dealer ship has been great to work with but having a hard time getting Forest River or Lippert to help out. Did get Lippert to agree to send in new leaf springs and they are taking the old ones in to see why they failed. I have read that a lot of people had a problems with Lippert's axels....Any feed back would be great. thanks!
ambcoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:59 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Sounds like a suspension problem and not axles. Couple of reasons a spring goes flat 1) Wrong material used. 2) Springs not correct capacity. 3) Walking beam bound up putting too much load on the other spring causing the flattening, thus transferring the load to the other spring and overloading it.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:14 PM   #7

Thanks Dunnnc.....My camper GVWR on my camper is 13,800 and my axels are 6k each....to me I am over weight on my coach. I would think they would have put 7k on the coach. It is very frustrating. thank you again for your reply, I will let my service tech know of what your thought are and have him check those out as well.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Don't forget the % of wt on the hitch which must be subracted from the trailer wt. That's where they get by with lighter axles/springs. Kinda flimsy, but that's how they do it.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:22 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

10 to 15 % of the camper weight is on truck is what dunnnc is sayin .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:56 PM   #10

OK..here's a stupid question..what happens when it is not hooked to my truck...like sitting in my driveway....I always pit down my landing gear to help take the weight off but that must have not worked. We only camp 4 times a year so it only has around 4,000 miles on the coach. Lippert has asked for more pictures and once they get the broken ones back maybe they will find something wrong with the manufacturing of the leaf springs.... I can only hope because it is going to cost a good bit to replace my tires.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:59 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

then a percentage of that weight is on the landing gear .
most likely more weight than what your truck has on it since the landing gear is further back on the camper .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #12

Bottom line, you have got JUNK ST tires under that trailer. GET THEM OFF NOW!!!
Replace them with LT235 85R16 Michelin XPS Rib or BF Goodrich Commercial TA's and quit worrying any longer about tires.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambcoke View Post
Thanks Dunnnc.....My camper GVWR on my camper is 13,800 and my axels are 6k each....to me I am over weight on my coach. I would think they would have put 7k on the coach. It is very frustrating. thank you again for your reply, I will let my service tech know of what your thought are and have him check those out as well.
My fiver has a GVWR of 13,750 pounds. I routinely travel at 13,500 pounds. 3000+/- is pin weight. I have never had a tire issue. In fact I just took off my original 2005 LT tires three weeks ago and replaced them with BFG Commercial TA's. I have 6K axles under my fiver just like you. I normally am at 10-10.5K on the axles. I have replaced the junk plastic bushings with wet bolts, I have replaced the junk equalizer with a Trailair copy of the morride equalizer. I think there is too much emphasis placed on everything byt the real problem. And that is tire quality!
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

If the springs are bad, the best tires in the world will not last. Even if they were made of steel!
Old 04-23-2012, 09:55 PM   #15

Good grief, the OP provided absolutely NO information about his problem, and yet everyone is jumping to conclusions about what might be wrong.
We don't know what brand of tire he has, the load range, nothing!
We don't even know if the blowouts are happening in the same tire position, or if it is random.
Until they provide some basic info, everything is just useless speculation.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:00 PM   #16
Site Team - Lou

LOL

I think we scared him off...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:43 PM   #17

It would be unfortunate if a brand new poster was discouraged from asking a question because of what has happened here, although it seems to be a typical response.
Far too often we have the soap box crowd repeating the same old, tired posts, over and over, with no regard for actually helping the OP.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:54 AM   #18

Not scared off...just had to go to bed. This has all been really good information that I can take back to them and challenge them on their decision. Thanks to each and everyone of you for your imput. Thanks! Ambcoke
Old 04-24-2012, 07:08 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
ambcoke, would you mind filing in some details?
Was the blown tire occcuring at the same location, or was it random?
What make and load range tire do you have?
Was there any abnormal wear? I imagine you were watching them after the second failure!
Thanks
crocus, ambcoke isn't the OP in this thread, bigchief is. Maybe the admins can start a separate thread for ambcoke's post.
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:28 AM   #20

Thanks frankm, I hate it when the OP's question gets hijacked, now I'm confused!
I deleted my post, although the questions are still out there for the OP, if he ever comes back.