Old 04-23-2012, 05:24 PM   #1
Tire problem

We have a 2012 30rl and have had 3 blowouts with less than 6,000 miles on the trailer.
Anybody have a good tire replacement. We are not overloaded and I check pressure before each move.

bigchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:37 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou
Huh, 3 blowouts in 6000 miles has to be some kind of "bad" record.

Before I spent a lot of money on tires I would get your axles checked out by someone who knows what they are about.

You didn't drive over railroad ties or anything right?

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
First question I have, same tire on same axle? Random tire placement on trailer? Quote, we are not overloaded", did you scale your rig to prove this? Is your trailer level when connected and towing?

Last and most important, how fast do you normally tow? Be honest, answer these questions, and maybe we can help.

Also checking tire pressure is never enough. Did you ever get down and look at the tread? A bent axle will cause wear on the inside or outside, of a tire, and I have seen several come from the factory, where the axles were made upside down, causing severe tread wear on the inside of the tire. Cords showing, blowouts in 1500 miles, or less, not counting 500 miles from factory to dealer.

Just some things to check. Let us know.

(I am a part time tech)
2012 Ford F250 ext. Cab 4x4
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
Something is definitely wrong. There is no way you should have experienced 3 blowouts in less than 6000 miles of travel. Three probable causes, axles seriously out of alignment (by bet), grossly underinflated tires, or the inside of your tires are rubbing on something and causing the blowouts.

Did your Cedar Creek come with the standard LT "G" rated Goodyear tires or did you get ST "E" rated tires?

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:32 PM   #5
I did not have a blow out but was very close to it. We have 2008 silverback by Cedar Creek by Forest River, 2 tires rubbing together and one with a huge blister on the side. Come to find out it was my leaf springs, all 4 are flat and have ruined my tires. maybe something is wrong with your axel and that is the reason your tires are wearing out?? Has anyone else had a problem with Lipperts 6k axels and the leaf strings going bad? Dealer ship has been great to work with but having a hard time getting Forest River or Lippert to help out. Did get Lippert to agree to send in new leaf springs and they are taking the old ones in to see why they failed. I have read that a lot of people had a problems with Lippert's axels....Any feed back would be great. thanks!
ambcoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:59 PM   #6
Mod free 5er
Sounds like a suspension problem and not axles. Couple of reasons a spring goes flat 1) Wrong material used. 2) Springs not correct capacity. 3) Walking beam bound up putting too much load on the other spring causing the flattening, thus transferring the load to the other spring and overloading it.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:14 PM   #7
Thanks Dunnnc.....My camper GVWR on my camper is 13,800 and my axels are 6k me I am over weight on my coach. I would think they would have put 7k on the coach. It is very frustrating. thank you again for your reply, I will let my service tech know of what your thought are and have him check those out as well.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #8
Mod free 5er
Don't forget the % of wt on the hitch which must be subracted from the trailer wt. That's where they get by with lighter axles/springs. Kinda flimsy, but that's how they do it.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:22 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
10 to 15 % of the camper weight is on truck is what dunnnc is sayin .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:56 PM   #10
Posts: 5's a stupid question..what happens when it is not hooked to my sitting in my driveway....I always pit down my landing gear to help take the weight off but that must have not worked. We only camp 4 times a year so it only has around 4,000 miles on the coach. Lippert has asked for more pictures and once they get the broken ones back maybe they will find something wrong with the manufacturing of the leaf springs.... I can only hope because it is going to cost a good bit to replace my tires.