Old 03-28-2012, 11:48 PM   #11

"worn spring eyes from worn out bushings could also cause problems."
============================================
That wouldn't cause jalvin's problems.
jalvin, are your axles rubber/torsion or springs?

Old 03-28-2012, 11:53 PM   #12

Being overloaded could cause the tires to wear on the inside but---also the axles could be out of line I had the same problem and was not overloaded the axles were not lined up together. A good RV shop should be able to check this out Maybe some one here can give info on how to take the measurements. Also if the former owner pulled the trailer overloaded over rough roads the axle could be bent. I saw this happern to several trailers in 05 on our trip to Alaska
I have the tires ballanced on my 5th wheel when I replace the tires. I know that a lot of people and some shops say this isn't necessary but if out of ballance sure shakes the heck out of the trailer

Old 03-28-2012, 11:56 PM   #13

Billy Bob, did all 4 tires wear on the inside like jalvin's?
Old 03-29-2012, 01:32 AM   #14

My axles are AL-KO torsion springs 6,000#
Old 03-29-2012, 07:14 AM   #15

X2 the great advice herk7769! We weighed everything as we loaded up for our first trip and pulled out of the yard with exactly 738.75 pounds of cargo, including 5 gals emergency water. On returning home, we ditched about 115 pounds of stuff that we decided we really didn't need, were duplicate items or could be easily bought along the way!

2012 Crusader 290RLT TE, TrailAir flex pin: 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR5 Dbl cab 4X2 Tow, 4.30 gears, RideRite air, TRD cold-air induction & dual exhaust: Reese 16K Slider: TST tpms
Miles towed to date: 18,950 Nights camped 192
J_KHawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:07 AM   #16
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalvin View Post
So do you have torsion axles or springs?

If a torsion axle you can get a ROUGH ballpark of load by looking at the torsion bars. Hook up the camper on a level surface and examine the torsion arm. If slightly above horizontal to the frame it is about at the max for the axle (about 5 degrees up is max the way I am reading the chart on page 45 of the H52-H60 Spec sheet).

Trailers with springs use a suspension system like this: Trailer Leaf Springs at Trailer Parts Superstore
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: pdf alkobrochure.pdf (921.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: pdf H52_H60_H70_5200-7000lb.pdf (6.12 MB, 48 views)

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:35 AM   #17
Hob

I had the same problem with the original tires on my straight pull travel trailer after 18 months. I went to a tire dealer in a small town in IL and the tire dealer told me it was because the trailer came with cheap tires. He put on a set of "Power King" Chinese made tires. I protested the Chinese tires and he told me if the tires didn't give me a lot better service and wear he would replace them free. I went with them and I now have 32 months and about 5 times the mileage on them as the originals and they are showing very even wear across the tires. I'm even considering getting brave and running them over the 3 year mark and seeing what kind of mileage I do get. I have no weather checking nor excessive tread wear. Just my personal experience not saying these tires are the answer for you.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalvin View Post
looking at the axles it looks like leaf springs you would find on car or truck.
I am having trouble locating public use scale close by the only one listed is closed because of budget cuts, no private ones listed still trying to locate one within reasonable distance.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:30 AM   #19

You are in WA state. Simply find a DOT scales that is not open at the time and pull in. I have done this numerous times. Lacking that, go to any larger truck stop along any freeway system, They have public scales and will weigh your for a fee. Usually 5 dollars or so. I have gone so far as to weigh, drop the trailer and weight again. Where in WA are you? You do have leaf spring suspension and I would be willing to bet that once you pull things apart and inspect them you will find, A, the plastic bushing are worn out, B, the cheap Chinese tires are bad, C, the axles are bent from overloading or hitting something by the PO. BTW I am in the Portland area, so if you need some help and are locally give me a holler.

BTW I have a 34CKTS.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:37 AM   #20

thanks for the info the last trip I took I stopped at 2 different dot scales both were closed at the time and neither one would show weight, everything was turned off. I am still trying to locate truck stop ect. closer than 60 miles from me one way.

Tags
axle