Old 03-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #21
Site Team - Lou

CAT Scale

Use the locator to find one close to you.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #22

You might give the folks over at Simpson Timber a call. Maybe they would accommodate you. Used to know most all of the filers up there, but have not been in there for about 6 years.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:21 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
You are in WA state. Simply find a DOT scales that is not open at the time and pull in. I have done this numerous times. Lacking that, go to any larger truck stop along any freeway system, They have public scales and will weigh your for a fee. Usually 5 dollars or so. I have gone so far as to weigh, drop the trailer and weight again. Where in WA are you? You do have leaf spring suspension and I would be willing to bet that once you pull things apart and inspect them you will find, A, the plastic bushing are worn out, B, the cheap Chinese tires are bad, C, the axles are bent from overloading or hitting something by the PO. BTW I am in the Portland area, so if you need some help and are locally give me a holler.

BTW I have a 34CKTS.
Yes I have leaf springs, tires now on rig are ALL COUNTRY LT235/85R16 load range E (from previous owner) the only G range tires I have found that are not chinese are goodyear G614 and from postings I have seen they also have issue's.
Are bushings fairly easy to replace? same as vehicle?
Old 03-29-2012, 01:49 PM   #24

Yes, it is not too difficult. You need 4 jack stands, two or four hydraulic jacks and two people. It can be done with less, but dropping everything at once makes it much easier. I did mine myself with a floor jack and two hydraulic jacks. Took me about two afternoons after work to get it done. I also installed the TrailAir equalizer at the same time.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:13 PM   #25
Site Team - Lou

Just me, but before I went crazy replacing bushings I would weigh the thing.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 03-29-2012, 02:16 PM   #26

Your 36RLTS from my 2005 brochure has a GVWR of 13,870. Just a few pounds above mine. I suspect based on the brochure and my scale numbers that your pin weight will be real close to 3000 pounds also. From that you do not need or want g614's. Look at Michelin XPS Rib's, BF Goodrich Commercial TA, or the Hankook Dynapro AS. All have been installed on trailers of your weights with good results. And all are available in LT235 85R16 sizes. Hankooks are about $131., the BFG is about $171., and the Michelin is about $375. each from Americas tire.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Just me, but before I went crazy replacing bushings I would weigh the thing.
Lou, you have to remember that this thing is at least 5-6 years old. And the OP bought it used. So he has no clue how many miles are on it. From my experience the plastic crap bushings that came from the factory are going to be gone in less than 5000 miles. So he really needs to do a wet bolt kit on it sooner rather than later when it could cost him new springs too. Or worse.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:22 PM   #28
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
Lou, you have to remember that this thing is at least 5-6 years old. And the OP bought it used. So he has no clue how many miles are on it. From my experience the plastic crap bushings that came from the factory are going to be gone in less than 5000 miles. So he really needs to do a wet bolt kit on it sooner rather than later when it could cost him new springs too. Or worse.
Not saying that the suspension maintenance is not needed or warranted. Just I would weigh it first, is all. If it was driven overloaded (by the OP or previous owner) the suspension would be the first place (and most likely not the only place) needing maintenance.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 03-29-2012, 03:05 PM   #29

Very good advice thank you Lou and Donn.
I found scale close to home I plan on weighing tomorrow morning + I feel suspension work is in order or at very least needs to be checked.
Donn what was the cost of trail air?
Old 03-29-2012, 03:33 PM   #30

The trailair equalflex cost me a couple hundred dollars. The wet bolt kit was about 60 dollars. Both from trailair direct. And well worth theinvestment IMHO.

Tags
axle