Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2012, 08:24 PM   #1

Tire wear or axle overload

On my 36rlts all 4 wheels are wearing on inside edge I think this is because of 6k axle not enough for trailer weight. the UVW is 11,480# the GVW is 13,870 or can this be a camber problem? Has anyone experienced this and how did you correct it.
Thanks in advance
jalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:36 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalvin View Post
On my 36rlts all 4 wheels are wearing on inside edge I think this is because of 6k axle not enough for trailer weight. the UVW is 11,480# the GVW is 13,870 or can this be a camber problem? Has anyone experienced this and how did you correct it.
Thanks in advance

Have you had your unit on the scales lately?
Your rig could be overloaded.

With the recommended pin weight for a 5th wheel of 20% of actual camper weight you should be carrying only 80% of your weight on the axles.

If your rig weighs 14,000 pounds you should carry 2800 of that weight in the truck bed leaving only 11,200 pounds on the axles (or 5600 pounds per axle).

Min Pin weight for a 5th wheel is 15% and Max is 25%. Even at the Min Pin weight for your camper (15%) 2100 pounds should ride in the truck. Even at the min pin weight that would leave 11900 pounds to be carried by both axles (or 5950 pounds per axle).

I am thinking if you weigh your rig as you normally camp, you will find you are overloaded for your axles and most likely your tires as well.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:23 PM   #3

I havn't weighed on scales yet but so it is possible it is overloaded even going by UVW given it doesn't leave much room for any additional weight. We have only taken for a couple of trips doesn't seem like we had that much extra loaded it is used unit '04 but new to us
Old 03-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #4

If it is a case of being overloaded as I think it may Can I upgrade to 7k axles and go to h rated tire instead of g rated if I can't carry any additional weight ie. food and clothing what good is the 5er
Old 03-28-2012, 09:38 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

I would caution you if weight does turn out to be your problem. The axles and tires are only two of many factors that go into the GVW of your camper. Frame strength; pin box; suspension; and brake size all have limits associated with them. The GVW is the LOWEST of all the factors designed into the camper. The axles and tires may NOT be the item that requires the GVW of your camper. (Most likely it is the frame, but only the manufacturer will know for sure).

Since it is "new to you" the UVW means nothing. The UVW sticker is "as it left the factory" and does not include the weight of dealer installed options and user installed options and modifications.

Thus the only way there is to know what is actually on the road is to weigh it the way you camp it.

There are several good threads here on how to use the scales. Here is a manual from Bridgestone that is a start.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Weigh Your RV - Bridgestone.pdf (447.2 KB, 90 views)
Old 03-28-2012, 09:40 PM   #6

Ok will start with that
Thanks for the advice
Old 03-28-2012, 09:49 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
If it is a case of being overloaded as I think it may Can I upgrade to 7k axles and go to h rated tire instead of g rated if I can't carry any additional weight ie. food and clothing what good is the 5er
You should also have 1800 pounds or so of room for your "campin stuff."

Say 12,000 empty and 1870 for allowable cargo weight.
You have a BIG (NICE!) Fiver. Most likely you have more available SPACE than you have available cargo weight capacity.

My experience has been... If there is room; throw it in.
Might need it when we are camping.

My first trip to the scales had us throwing stuff all over the driveway as we pared it down to ditch almost a thousand pounds of tools and just junk. Back to the scales and then start over again cause we were STILL too heavy.

We keep a log now for every trip of what we used and what we carried back and forth without touching. If that happens 3 times to an item or food stuff it gets bounced.

Found out you really can buy just about anything you need; if it turns out that you really need it. Why carry 20 gallons of bottled water when the store is just down the block, etc.

Speaking of water, with only 1800 pounds of cargo available, a full 40 gallon tank of fresh water (8.3 POUNDS per gallon) weighs 332 pounds.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:11 PM   #8

"The axles and tires may NOT be the item that requires the GVW of your camper."
==============================================
Actually, it is most definitely the axles that determine the GVWR.
When we were shopping for ours, we saw lots in the same dry weight range with similar construction, but many had much higher GVWRs. The only difference was that they had heavier axles, usually 5000 lbs vs ours at 4000 lbs. And that extra 2000 lbs was usually about the difference in GVWR.
jalvin, your axles are loaded to the max, as are ours. If you have rubber axles on that old of a camper, there is a good chance they are toast. Get them checked out, and if they need to be replaced, go with heavier units as you suggested. I don't doubt that we will have to do the same down the road, if we start putting on lots of miles. And heavier-rated tires sure wouldn't hurt either. Our fifth came with "C"-rated tires, which was ridiculous, so we changed them to D's right away.
Good luck
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:37 PM   #9

I doubt that it is axle overload. My fiver has a 13,750 GVWR with 6K axles and i have no problem. BTW I usually run with 10,500 pounds on the axles. I am replacing tires this spring due to age and nothing else. Depending on age of your trailer it could be axle alignment issues, or flat springs or overloading. Unless and until you get it on a set of scales you will not know.
BTW have you replaced the plastic bushings in the spring packs yet? worn spring eyes from worn out bushings could also cause problems.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:43 PM   #10

I just got 5er last spring as far as I know nothing has been done other than repack wheel bearings maybe besides weighing I need to have axles checked any suggestions on who to do this in washington state?
Old 03-28-2012, 10:48 PM   #11

"worn spring eyes from worn out bushings could also cause problems."
============================================
That wouldn't cause jalvin's problems.
jalvin, are your axles rubber/torsion or springs?
Old 03-28-2012, 10:53 PM   #12

Being overloaded could cause the tires to wear on the inside but---also the axles could be out of line I had the same problem and was not overloaded the axles were not lined up together. A good RV shop should be able to check this out Maybe some one here can give info on how to take the measurements. Also if the former owner pulled the trailer overloaded over rough roads the axle could be bent. I saw this happern to several trailers in 05 on our trip to Alaska
I have the tires ballanced on my 5th wheel when I replace the tires. I know that a lot of people and some shops say this isn't necessary but if out of ballance sure shakes the heck out of the trailer
billy bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:56 PM   #13

Billy Bob, did all 4 tires wear on the inside like jalvin's?
Old 03-29-2012, 12:32 AM   #14

My axles are AL-KO torsion springs 6,000#
Old 03-29-2012, 06:14 AM   #15

X2 the great advice herk7769! We weighed everything as we loaded up for our first trip and pulled out of the yard with exactly 738.75 pounds of cargo, including 5 gals emergency water. On returning home, we ditched about 115 pounds of stuff that we decided we really didn't need, were duplicate items or could be easily bought along the way!

2012 Crusader 290RLT TE, TrailAir flex pin: 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR5 Dbl cab 4X2 Tow, 4.30 gears, RideRite air, TRD cold-air induction & dual exhaust: Reese 16K Slider: TST tpms
Miles towed to date: 26,890; Nights camped; lost count!
J_KHawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:07 AM   #16
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
So do you have torsion axles or springs?

If a torsion axle you can get a ROUGH ballpark of load by looking at the torsion bars. Hook up the camper on a level surface and examine the torsion arm. If slightly above horizontal to the frame it is about at the max for the axle (about 5 degrees up is max the way I am reading the chart on page 45 of the H52-H60 Spec sheet).

Trailers with springs use a suspension system like this: Trailer Leaf Springs at Trailer Parts Superstore
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: pdf alkobrochure.pdf (921.2 KB, 73 views)
File Type: pdf H52_H60_H70_5200-7000lb.pdf (6.12 MB, 73 views)
Old 03-29-2012, 08:35 AM   #17
Hob

I had the same problem with the original tires on my straight pull travel trailer after 18 months. I went to a tire dealer in a small town in IL and the tire dealer told me it was because the trailer came with cheap tires. He put on a set of "Power King" Chinese made tires. I protested the Chinese tires and he told me if the tires didn't give me a lot better service and wear he would replace them free. I went with them and I now have 32 months and about 5 times the mileage on them as the originals and they are showing very even wear across the tires. I'm even considering getting brave and running them over the 3 year mark and seeing what kind of mileage I do get. I have no weather checking nor excessive tread wear. Just my personal experience not saying these tires are the answer for you.
Hob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:47 AM   #18

Quote:
looking at the axles it looks like leaf springs you would find on car or truck.
I am having trouble locating public use scale close by the only one listed is closed because of budget cuts, no private ones listed still trying to locate one within reasonable distance.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #19

You are in WA state. Simply find a DOT scales that is not open at the time and pull in. I have done this numerous times. Lacking that, go to any larger truck stop along any freeway system, They have public scales and will weigh your for a fee. Usually 5 dollars or so. I have gone so far as to weigh, drop the trailer and weight again. Where in WA are you? You do have leaf spring suspension and I would be willing to bet that once you pull things apart and inspect them you will find, A, the plastic bushing are worn out, B, the cheap Chinese tires are bad, C, the axles are bent from overloading or hitting something by the PO. BTW I am in the Portland area, so if you need some help and are locally give me a holler.

BTW I have a 34CKTS.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:37 AM   #20

thanks for the info the last trip I took I stopped at 2 different dot scales both were closed at the time and neither one would show weight, everything was turned off. I am still trying to locate truck stop ect. closer than 60 miles from me one way.

Tags
axle