Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2012, 10:46 AM   #21
Site Team - Lou

CAT Scale

Use the locator to find one close to you.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:00 AM   #22

You might give the folks over at Simpson Timber a call. Maybe they would accommodate you. Used to know most all of the filers up there, but have not been in there for about 6 years.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:21 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
You are in WA state. Simply find a DOT scales that is not open at the time and pull in. I have done this numerous times. Lacking that, go to any larger truck stop along any freeway system, They have public scales and will weigh your for a fee. Usually 5 dollars or so. I have gone so far as to weigh, drop the trailer and weight again. Where in WA are you? You do have leaf spring suspension and I would be willing to bet that once you pull things apart and inspect them you will find, A, the plastic bushing are worn out, B, the cheap Chinese tires are bad, C, the axles are bent from overloading or hitting something by the PO. BTW I am in the Portland area, so if you need some help and are locally give me a holler.

BTW I have a 34CKTS.
Yes I have leaf springs, tires now on rig are ALL COUNTRY LT235/85R16 load range E (from previous owner) the only G range tires I have found that are not chinese are goodyear G614 and from postings I have seen they also have issue's.
Are bushings fairly easy to replace? same as vehicle?
jalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:49 PM   #24

Yes, it is not too difficult. You need 4 jack stands, two or four hydraulic jacks and two people. It can be done with less, but dropping everything at once makes it much easier. I did mine myself with a floor jack and two hydraulic jacks. Took me about two afternoons after work to get it done. I also installed the TrailAir equalizer at the same time.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:13 PM   #25
Site Team - Lou

Just me, but before I went crazy replacing bushings I would weigh the thing.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:16 PM   #26

Your 36RLTS from my 2005 brochure has a GVWR of 13,870. Just a few pounds above mine. I suspect based on the brochure and my scale numbers that your pin weight will be real close to 3000 pounds also. From that you do not need or want g614's. Look at Michelin XPS Rib's, BF Goodrich Commercial TA, or the Hankook Dynapro AS. All have been installed on trailers of your weights with good results. And all are available in LT235 85R16 sizes. Hankooks are about $131., the BFG is about $171., and the Michelin is about $375. each from Americas tire.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Lou, you have to remember that this thing is at least 5-6 years old. And the OP bought it used. So he has no clue how many miles are on it. From my experience the plastic crap bushings that came from the factory are going to be gone in less than 5000 miles. So he really needs to do a wet bolt kit on it sooner rather than later when it could cost him new springs too. Or worse.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #28
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Lou, you have to remember that this thing is at least 5-6 years old. And the OP bought it used. So he has no clue how many miles are on it. From my experience the plastic crap bushings that came from the factory are going to be gone in less than 5000 miles. So he really needs to do a wet bolt kit on it sooner rather than later when it could cost him new springs too. Or worse.
Not saying that the suspension maintenance is not needed or warranted. Just I would weigh it first, is all. If it was driven overloaded (by the OP or previous owner) the suspension would be the first place (and most likely not the only place) needing maintenance.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #29

Very good advice thank you Lou and Donn.
I found scale close to home I plan on weighing tomorrow morning + I feel suspension work is in order or at very least needs to be checked.
Donn what was the cost of trail air?
Old 03-29-2012, 02:33 PM   #30

The trailair equalflex cost me a couple hundred dollars. The wet bolt kit was about 60 dollars. Both from trailair direct. And well worth theinvestment IMHO.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:56 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Lou quick question my rig is still winterized so not much in it, so should I weigh it now or should I weigh it as loaded when we use it? Seems to me empty weight won't tell me if I am overloaded
Old 03-30-2012, 11:02 AM   #32

jalvin, since your tires are wearing on the inside, it might be that your axles have simply sagged from age and mileage. Before going to a whole bunch of trouble, just take a carpenter's level out to the camper, and see if your wheels are leaning in or not. If they are, it is your axles.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
jalvin, since your tires are wearing on the inside, it might be that your axles have simply sagged from age and mileage. Before going to a whole bunch of trouble, just take a carpenter's level out to the camper, and see if your wheels are leaning in or not. If they are, it is your axles.
OK I just went out and tried it if they are leaning in it doesn't seem to be much hard to tell cant quite get level on rim without tire interfering. How would you adjust camber on axles? I have thought about alignment but seems to me if axle was out then one tire would wear on inside opposite tire would wear on outside or is my thinking wrong?
Old 03-30-2012, 11:50 AM   #34

" I have thought about alignment but seems to me if axle was out then one tire would wear on inside opposite tire would wear on outside"
=======================================
At least it wouldn't be all 4 with the same wear.
Might just have to take it to the alignment shop.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:53 PM   #35

Will it make a difference weighing it today? Sure, maybe a couple hundred pounds. But at this point you really need to know what you have.
as far as alignment is concerned, that is a process of bending the axles. If the PO had hit something (large pot hole for instance) the axle tubes could be straight or have too much bow in them. A good truck/trailer shop should be able to re-arch the axles for you to the correct specs prior to installing new tires.
Your trailer is very close to mine as far as weight are concerned, so I have a really good idea of what you need to do to make it right.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #36
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalvin View Post
Lou quick question my rig is still winterized so not much in it, so should I weigh it now or should I weigh it as loaded when we use it? Seems to me empty weight won't tell me if I am overloaded
Sorry, I was out working on the camper all day.
I think you answered your own question anyway.
Loaded for camping is the only way to know what is going on.

So, LONG answer to SHORT question:

Remember it is a 2 step process.

Step 1) Weigh the combination with the truck's front wheels on one platform; the trucks rear wheels on the second platform; and the camper's wheels on the third platform. Ask the operator to record the weights and print your ticket.

Pull away from the scales and DISCONNECT the camper.

Step 2) Pull back on the scales with just your truck. Weigh the truck with the front wheels on one platform and the trucks rear wheels on the second platform. Ask the operator to print the second ticket. (The second weigh just costs a buck at a CAT Scale.)

Hook back up and drive home with your two tickets.

What do you do with the tickets? Glad you asked...

1) Subtract the Truck only ticket total weight from the truck's MAX gross weight to find allowable PAYLOAD.

2) Check the combination weight of truck and camper to make sure it is less than the truck's MAX COMBINED WEIGHT RATING

3) ADD the front and rear axle weights of the Combined ticket to find the trucks GROSS weight and check to make sure it is less that the trucks Maximum Gross weight.

4) Subtract the trucks unhitched weight from (1) from the actual gross weight (from 3) to get the actual PIN weight.

5) Add the pin weight (from 4) to the camper's "connected" wheels weight from the 3rd platform to get the actual camper weight.

Compare the actual camper's weight to the camper's max gross weight from the yellow sticker on the camper (you may have to add the "UVW to the posted camper payload to get the max gross weight of the camper).

Take the camper's wheel loading (platform 3 weight) and divide by 4 (or the number of wheels the camper has) to get the actual tire load. With this number you can tailor the tire pressures to exactly the amount needed for 100% tread/road contact per your manufacturer's tire pressure chart.

Other cool things you can get are the actual axle loadings of your truck and camper. You can compare the actual load to the axle's rated load.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper photos 004.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	11480   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper photos 005.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	11481  
Old 03-31-2012, 03:13 PM   #37

So Jalvin, did you get it weighed today between downpours?
Old 03-31-2012, 04:09 PM   #38

Quote:
So Jalvin, did you get it weighed today between downpours?
no, scales are closed on sat. couldn't fit in work and play yesterday + there hasn't been much between on the downpours.
I did talk to alignment guy yesterday am going to take it in monday or tues to have checked. will weight when I do that as scales are on the way
Old 03-31-2012, 06:48 PM   #39

So I just found cedar creek owners forum and going by posts on it the problems I am having are very common on CC trailers some owners went to mor- ride some heavier axles some just the wet kit. Some food for thought I guess
Old 04-01-2012, 09:24 AM   #40

Glad you found us. Since your weights are very similar to mine, once you do the wet bolt kit, and the equalflex or morride equalizer and an alignment I think you will be good to go. CC's are very heavy for their size though so next step will be brake inspection.

Tags
axle