Old 03-28-2012, 09:24 PM   #1

Tire wear or axle overload

On my 36rlts all 4 wheels are wearing on inside edge I think this is because of 6k axle not enough for trailer weight. the UVW is 11,480# the GVW is 13,870 or can this be a camber problem? Has anyone experienced this and how did you correct it.
Thanks in advance

Old 03-28-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalvin View Post
On my 36rlts all 4 wheels are wearing on inside edge I think this is because of 6k axle not enough for trailer weight. the UVW is 11,480# the GVW is 13,870 or can this be a camber problem? Has anyone experienced this and how did you correct it.
Thanks in advance

Have you had your unit on the scales lately?
Your rig could be overloaded.

With the recommended pin weight for a 5th wheel of 20% of actual camper weight you should be carrying only 80% of your weight on the axles.

If your rig weighs 14,000 pounds you should carry 2800 of that weight in the truck bed leaving only 11,200 pounds on the axles (or 5600 pounds per axle).

Min Pin weight for a 5th wheel is 15% and Max is 25%. Even at the Min Pin weight for your camper (15%) 2100 pounds should ride in the truck. Even at the min pin weight that would leave 11900 pounds to be carried by both axles (or 5950 pounds per axle).

I am thinking if you weigh your rig as you normally camp, you will find you are overloaded for your axles and most likely your tires as well.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:23 PM   #3

I havn't weighed on scales yet but so it is possible it is overloaded even going by UVW given it doesn't leave much room for any additional weight. We have only taken for a couple of trips doesn't seem like we had that much extra loaded it is used unit '04 but new to us
Old 03-28-2012, 10:27 PM   #4

If it is a case of being overloaded as I think it may Can I upgrade to 7k axles and go to h rated tire instead of g rated if I can't carry any additional weight ie. food and clothing what good is the 5er
Old 03-28-2012, 10:38 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

I would caution you if weight does turn out to be your problem. The axles and tires are only two of many factors that go into the GVW of your camper. Frame strength; pin box; suspension; and brake size all have limits associated with them. The GVW is the LOWEST of all the factors designed into the camper. The axles and tires may NOT be the item that requires the GVW of your camper. (Most likely it is the frame, but only the manufacturer will know for sure).

Since it is "new to you" the UVW means nothing. The UVW sticker is "as it left the factory" and does not include the weight of dealer installed options and user installed options and modifications.

Thus the only way there is to know what is actually on the road is to weigh it the way you camp it.

There are several good threads here on how to use the scales. Here is a manual from Bridgestone that is a start.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Weigh Your RV - Bridgestone.pdf (447.2 KB, 71 views)

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 03-28-2012, 10:40 PM   #6

Ok will start with that
Thanks for the advice
Old 03-28-2012, 10:49 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalvin View Post
If it is a case of being overloaded as I think it may Can I upgrade to 7k axles and go to h rated tire instead of g rated if I can't carry any additional weight ie. food and clothing what good is the 5er
You should also have 1800 pounds or so of room for your "campin stuff."

Say 12,000 empty and 1870 for allowable cargo weight.
You have a BIG (NICE!) Fiver. Most likely you have more available SPACE than you have available cargo weight capacity.

My experience has been... If there is room; throw it in.
Might need it when we are camping.

My first trip to the scales had us throwing stuff all over the driveway as we pared it down to ditch almost a thousand pounds of tools and just junk. Back to the scales and then start over again cause we were STILL too heavy.

We keep a log now for every trip of what we used and what we carried back and forth without touching. If that happens 3 times to an item or food stuff it gets bounced.

Found out you really can buy just about anything you need; if it turns out that you really need it. Why carry 20 gallons of bottled water when the store is just down the block, etc.

Speaking of water, with only 1800 pounds of cargo available, a full 40 gallon tank of fresh water (8.3 POUNDS per gallon) weighs 332 pounds.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 03-28-2012, 11:11 PM   #8

"The axles and tires may NOT be the item that requires the GVW of your camper."
==============================================
Actually, it is most definitely the axles that determine the GVWR.
When we were shopping for ours, we saw lots in the same dry weight range with similar construction, but many had much higher GVWRs. The only difference was that they had heavier axles, usually 5000 lbs vs ours at 4000 lbs. And that extra 2000 lbs was usually about the difference in GVWR.
jalvin, your axles are loaded to the max, as are ours. If you have rubber axles on that old of a camper, there is a good chance they are toast. Get them checked out, and if they need to be replaced, go with heavier units as you suggested. I don't doubt that we will have to do the same down the road, if we start putting on lots of miles. And heavier-rated tires sure wouldn't hurt either. Our fifth came with "C"-rated tires, which was ridiculous, so we changed them to D's right away.
Good luck
Old 03-28-2012, 11:37 PM   #9

I doubt that it is axle overload. My fiver has a 13,750 GVWR with 6K axles and i have no problem. BTW I usually run with 10,500 pounds on the axles. I am replacing tires this spring due to age and nothing else. Depending on age of your trailer it could be axle alignment issues, or flat springs or overloading. Unless and until you get it on a set of scales you will not know.
BTW have you replaced the plastic bushings in the spring packs yet? worn spring eyes from worn out bushings could also cause problems.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:43 PM   #10

I just got 5er last spring as far as I know nothing has been done other than repack wheel bearings maybe besides weighing I need to have axles checked any suggestions on who to do this in washington state?

Tags
axle