Old 05-02-2014, 09:50 PM   #11
Plain Old Member

OK. First time I've heard to not inflate to max cold, on a trailer anyway. When we were in the motorhomes, we went by load vs. tires plus a little. I've weighed mine, but only each axle and pin, so I don't have individual wheel weights. Just not going to happen around us unless I can get pulled over by DOT or something. Where's the chart of weight vs. pressure for the G614?

2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:30 PM   #12
Former Full Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
OK. First time I've heard to not inflate to max cold, on a trailer anyway. When we were in the motorhomes, we went by load vs. tires plus a little. I've weighed mine, but only each axle and pin, so I don't have individual wheel weights. Just not going to happen around us unless I can get pulled over by DOT or something. Where's the chart of weight vs. pressure for the G614?
Here is the link to the chart on GY's RV website:
http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf
If you go to the homepage there are links to other useful info.

Elbert Hubbard
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:49 PM   #13
Plain Old Member

Good info. Thanks for that link. What's the main reasons for not running 110 in those tires? Here's the weights I have from a while back:

Pin Weight: 2680
Front Axle: 6080
Rear Axle: 5820
Total Weight: 14,580
Max Gross: 15,500
Difference: 920

So my axles are roughly 1000 lbs under their capacity. If evenly divided, and I'm pretty sure they're not, I should be around 80 - 90 psi on that chart.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:42 AM   #14
SnP

This is from the GY RV website on weighing RV's.

Special Considerations
Unless trying to resolve poor ride quality problems with an RV trailer, it is recommended that trailer tires be inflated to the pressure indicated on the sidewall of the tire. Trailer tires experience significant lateral (side-to-side) loads due to vehicle sway from uneven roads or passing vehicles. Using the inflation pressure engraved on the sidewall will provide optimum load carrying capacity and minimize heat build-up.

Earlier in the article it says for MH and TV for weighing and adjusted tire inflation.

Weighing your RV - Goodyear RV
Camped - 2014-47, 2015-104, 2016-100, 2017-141
SnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:00 AM   #15

I have always inflated my tires to max pressure as listed on the sidewall and recommend that everyone does that. Running lower pressure defeats the reason to have a high load capacity tire like the G614. Low tires are a common reason for tire problems as the side wall can flex more and overheat. I saw nothing in those charts that would make me think there is anything wrong with maxing out your tire pressure. 25,000 miles in the last four years with zero tire problems so far. By the way I also run LT tires.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:09 AM   #16
Former Full Timer

Quote:
Good info. Thanks for that link. What's the main reasons for not running 110 in those tires? Here's the weights I have from a while back:

Pin Weight: 2680
Front Axle: 6080
Rear Axle: 5820
Total Weight: 14,580
Max Gross: 15,500
Difference: 920

So my axles are roughly 1000 lbs under their capacity. If evenly divided, and I'm pretty sure they're not, I should be around 80 - 90 psi on that chart.
The reason to use the correct pressure is to attain the best tread to road contact while maintaining a low level of rolling resistance and achieving the best ride for the Creek. References to the "Special Consideration" paragraph is an excerpt from the GY link I posted and it is out of context. Trailer tires are ST designation, not LT which are Light Truck tires tested for use on trailers. Soooo, if you want to beat the poo out of your trailer, pump those G614's up to 110 cold and have at it. While you are at it, you can save some weight by taking that TrailAir off and using the OEM Lippert pin box. We towed our 36 CKTS over 10,000 miles last year and when we stopped everything was right where we left it. I also use a TST TPMS and the tires ran at a cold 95-100 degrees with the hot inflation pressure at 110-114psi average. Those numbers were during 80+ degree OAT on sunny days. My cold inflation pressure was 90psi.
Elbert Hubbard
Old 05-03-2014, 01:39 PM   #17
Plain Old Member

I'll never use a stock pin box again. If not the trail air, it'd be a MorRyde. I've had the MorRyde on a previous fifth wheel. I did tow with the stock pin box, and it sucks to say the least. Nothing has moved in transit in ours either so far. Will be adding the shocks later this year when we get back to our shop for a while. This aint our first rodeo, but, I've never experimented with reducing pressures on the trailer running LT's. I might try it around 90, but until I can get individual wheel weights, a bit of lagniappe is always cheap insurance. We also run a TPMS. Lots easier to "feel" the difference on a motorhome when adjusting tire pressures as you are experiencing now. We've had a 36' Tiffin Class A and a Forester 3121, so been there too.

Man, you act like I'm trying to tear up my home on wheels. I see the point, since it is a LT tire, just never considered changing pressures on a LT, on a trailer, and we've run LT's on other towables.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:35 PM   #18
Former Full Timer

Wink

Quote:
I'll never use a stock pin box again. If not the trail air, it'd be a MorRyde. I've had the MorRyde on a previous fifth wheel. I did tow with the stock pin box, and it sucks to say the least...
...Man, you act like I'm trying to tear up my home on wheels. I see the point, since it is a LT tire, just never considered changing pressures on a LT, on a trailer, and we've run LT's on other towables.
Sorry if you got that impression BigJohnD. Only the first sentence in my response was directed to you. The part about the pin box was my dry humor. The part about the Special Consideration that was excerpted from the link I posted was directed to the out of context misinterpretation of that paragraph. The part referring to the blow hards (maximum inflation) was directed to those folks. I just combined a general response to a range of pertainent issues.

Note: My posts are intended to convey information that I have learned over the years or have experienced personally. I fully expect that there will be folks who disagree with all or part of my opine. However, I do provide references either up front or on request. I also respect the opinion of others if it is not claptrap or argumentative. For those instances, I have found that growing my ignore list provides the best relief.

Overhead Question (Rehtorical); Why would GY make the effort to engineer, test and publish load/inflation numbers if they were not intended to be utilized in lieu of maximum inflation?
Elbert Hubbard
Old 05-03-2014, 06:28 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
Sorry if you got that impression BigJohnD. Only the first sentence in my response was directed to you. The part about the pin box was my dry humor. The part about the Special Consideration that was excerpted from the link I posted was directed to the out of context misinterpretation of that paragraph. The part referring to the blow hards (maximum inflation) was directed to those folks. I just combined a general response to a range of pertainent issues.

Note: My posts are intended to convey information that I have learned over the years or have experienced personally. I fully expect that there will be folks who disagree with all or part of my opine. However, I do provide references either up front or on request. I also respect the opinion of others if it is not claptrap or argumentative. For those instances, I have found that growing my ignore list provides the best relief.

Overhead Question (Rehtorical); Why would GY make the effort to engineer, test and publish load/inflation numbers if they were not intended to be utilized in lieu of maximum inflation?

The answer to the inflation question depends on the type of RV we are discussing. Multi-Axle trailers place significantly higher structural stress on the tire than do Motorhomes with tires on the corners do, even when the tire loads are identical.

Please DO NOT confuse the two. The ST tables were developed in the 70's when single axle trailers weighing less than 5,000# were the norm and highway speeds were 55 mph max. Those standards have not been updated in 40 years because to do so would require trailer manufacturers to put larger ie more expensive tires on their product and they believe that low price and more "bling" is what sells units.

GY only tests at the max load for a Load Range and not all the steps below. They also test in straight rolling, single axle loading because that is all the regulations require.

The tires of a Motorhome rotate and the center of rotation points to the center of the radius of the turn while the trailer tires are dragged around the corner as it is impossible for more than one axle to point to the center of the turn. This dragging action is easily observed when you look at the sidewall deflection when a TT is backed into a parking space.

if you want facts and date, you can read the engineering analysis HERE.

Observation. Why would tire manufacturers suggest 7 to 10 year life for motorhome tires and 3 to 5 for TT tires if there were not some specific reason?

As a tire engineer w/40 years experience, all you need is hard data (Finite element analysis preferred) and I will be happy to change my recommendation.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:36 PM   #20
Plain Old Member

Duck, Understood. I misread the post, and the lack of caffeine at the time probably didn't help. I do agree with you and appreciate the info. We did exactly as you've mentioned on both motorhomes with the Michelins, and it made a world of difference in the ride. For some reason, it just never crossed my mind about applying this to the towable / LT set up, so that's my ignorance, or not reading the writing on the wall. Makes perfect sense. Now, it will drive me insane wondering the individual wheel weights.

Were you able to establish the individual weights before adjusting pressure, or did you do axle weight / 2?