Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2015, 12:31 PM   #1

Question To cover or not cover....

Well, here comes Fall and then time to put the Silverback 29RE away for the Winter. I would appreciate the Cedar Creek Forum members to voice your opinion on the subject of "Cover or Not Cover?". Is it necessary with the gel coat exterior of a Cedar Creek? Just cover the A/C compressor?

We live in Michigan and could see 30+ inches of snow. It will be setting out in the open. I would welcome discussion of the Pro's & Con's of covering. Those of you that DO use a cover, have you found a preferred brand/type of cover that you are happy with?

We are very much enjoying our 29RE and so far, no issues.
Thank You...
jaygeo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:36 PM   #2

The wind here would soon trash any cover I could use so no.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:53 PM   #3

I am also interested in this. We are at the end of our first summer os rv ownership. We do not have a gel coat exterior. The OP mentioned that as a factor. I thought it was the seams and seals that were a concern.
NJ-Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:51 PM   #4

I'm debating this as well. When we attended the FROG Rally in Goshen I asked the Dicor people about a cover and they felt it was not necessary. The rep did say however some type of shelter/pole barn would be beneficial with large amounts of snow. We live in upstate New York. The reason for not using a cover was the rubbing that might occur over the winter.

Silverado2500HD
Old 09-09-2015, 01:00 PM   #5

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
Those shrouds are designed to take the punishment of weather and temperature. I wouldn't even bother worrying about it.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 01:32 PM   #6

Rv covers

I bought a cover two years ago, covered it the first year and when spring came around I removed it.
I was surprised to the paint had been rubbed off on one corner molding of the exterior. Luckily it was a metal corner so I was able to touch it up. This was due to the cover not being tied tight enough and the wind rubbed the RV ALL winter long. I did not cover it last winter and all was fine so I would not cover your TT.
bobquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 01:59 PM   #7

We started RV'ing this year and live in South Carolina. The summers have a lot of sun and we store our 36CKTS Cedar Creek 5th Wheel outside also. We acquired a 1x ADCO 37'1" to 40' 5th Wheel Designer Tyvek Plus Wind RV Cover. It has plenty of vents for air circulation and most important covers the top of the trailer. I feel it is a good investment to help the longevity of our new trailer. We do have some strong winds that come along but we have had not problems so far.
Bud Pritchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
The wind here would soon trash any cover I could use so no.
X2 a cover lasts less than a year here..............

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:14 PM   #9

I will relate a conversation I had just last week with a very well regarded and reputable repair shop in our area. This will take some set-up and I apologize for a long post.

I am having a delamination type issue that just started. I've been to 3 shops and have gotten 3 different opinions of what may be happening to my TT. I got a really good "vibe" from one shop in particular and further checking proved the high regard his shop has. In fact, I had two dealers repair shops and the local Camping World shop supervisor all refer me to this guy.

One of his first questions was, "do you cover your trailer." I said yes, from mid-October to around May 1st. He said, "how about the summer?" I said no, it's dry then, why would I? His response? Summer is when you should cover your RV. He claims that a well maintained roof with no leaks will weather rain or snow with no problem but ......... the most damaging issue for an RV is UV rays and excessive heat from direct sunlight. My TT does sit with the affected side facing south ... directly facing the sun ... when it is parked. He said he would check for water leaks, of course, but if none are found (which is what I expect because I climb up there and check often) the culprit is be UV and heat causing the glue bond in the wall to fail and the component parts to delaminate.

Interestingly, I contacted the factory and sent photos of the problem areas. Their answer matched this shop owner. They said they had never seen exactly my problem before in one of their units but if no water leaks were found the only answer is a glue failure.

So ... should you cover? Maybe. But it appears that it really isn't necessary. Your choice.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:20 PM   #10

Only issue I have with the cover is the weight and trying to get it up on the roof. Almost slipped and fell trying to get the cover in place and over the side. Other that that I feel the cover did what it is supposed to do and that is keep the RV cleaner and somewhat protected from the elements. Having a place to take it off the RV in springtime and keeping it clean, is a plus also. I would take and pull up the sides then have the wife pull the front towards the driveway as I was pushing the cover forwards and keeping it from hanging up on stuff. We would clean the driveway first before doing the cover so it didn't get sand or dirt on parts that would rub the RV the next time it was put on.
I felt the cover was a good thing and we had a camping world cover an ADCO that we had for 4 years with minor tears that were patched as needed. We changed RV's and got a bigger fifth wheel and did not cover it due to the size of the cover needed. Just got to be too much of a chore, but in retrospect I wish we had as the roof has deteriorated as well as the awning from the hot Florida sun.
floridela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:24 PM   #11

I knew I wouldn't be able to use my TT all summer because of new babies so I covered it to protect it from the Vegas sun. It has survived our harsh wind storms and has been worth the investment. If you buy a high quality cover and make sure you fit right you should be able to get a few years out of it. For me the $400 cover was cheaper that the extra grand/year I would have had to pay for a covered space at the storage lot.

2015 Evo 2700
2017 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 4.10
Evo2700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:25 PM   #12

I had tossed that thought around myself. Cover or not? Decided, Go south for winter and back north in spring!
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:42 AM   #13

We covered out old Flagstaff every winter,,, lots a work for 2 old folks,,, but I felt better with it being covered here in the snow belt,,, We did loose one to a real bad hail storm with 80 to 90 mph winds,,, it stayed in place,,, but was full of holes,,, Ins replaced it for us !!!

I would sure LOVE to have an RV Port to keep our Sunseeker in !!!
$$$ ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:50 AM   #14

I have own three 5er and none have been covered or will be covered. I have seen the damage done to an RV when it has been covered such as rubbing of the paint and the side wall material by a cover flapping in the breeze or strap.

My other augment against RV covers is; If the trailers required a cover do you not think that the manufactures would not offer such attachment to cover the units and make extra profit on these attachments. Do the manufactures store the finish trailers on dealer lots under RV covers in the winter months? Do full timers cover their unit in the winter months?

To me the best thing to do to your RV is wash and wax the unit and clean the roof and treat this with the proper materials for what ever roof material you have. This is what will prolong the life of your trailer.

Marketing people can write all sorts of words to impress people on the needs for such an item and the why you must have this!
Old 09-10-2015, 09:11 AM   #15

I wash and wax our 5er twice a year and keep it in covered locked storage. Does not see daylight until we take it out. I have done this for the last 6 RV's I have owned. The decals stay fresh looking along with not worrying about water damage. Yes it is expensive to rent storage but I have always gotten too dollar when trading due to condition. Also peace of mind that it is secure from those wanting to break in. Don't have to cover in the south. We are lucky if we get cold weather much less snow.
ttanous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:19 PM   #16

Do you cover your house in the winter? How many covers do you see on RVs at the dealers? I don't use one. Think it is a waste of money.
stansoper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:37 PM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by stansoper View Post
Do you cover your house in the winter? How many covers do you see on RVs at the dealers? I don't use one. Think it is a waste of money.
X2 ^^^^^^^^^^^

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "27 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:04 PM   #18
DDC

I have one in the attic, tried it twice and both times we received more damage either from the cover rubbing in the wind or to the cover rubbing in the wind, it does not matter how much you tie it down it just finds a way of moving, either go south or make sure you check the sealing points.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:27 PM   #19

How about the A/C?

How about the Air Conditioner Unit? Get a cover for it for storage?

That is if I don't use a complete coach cover....
jaygeo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 05:13 PM   #20

Send a message via Skype™ to pontiacdan45
Last winter we had inside storage. This year outside. Unit is a 2015 Rockwood Sig Ultra Lite 5er 8289 ws. I'm reading these posts and deciding that a cover is not needed, but even if it was, I'm not sure how this 70 year old man could put it on. I could see covering the wheels but not until we are in Florida this winter.

2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra-Lite 8289 ws
2015 GMC Crew Cab 2500HD Gas:
pontiacdan45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover