Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2019, 05:10 AM   #1

Top 3 Questions

We are getting ready to purchase our first 5'vr and have decided that the cc is fitting our needs. What would be the top 3 ?'s I should ask about the unit before I sign on the dotted line? I am also going to have a pre-purchase inspection done to cover all my bases.
kcrobin47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:08 AM   #2

I personally like the 36CK2. Buts different people like different models. I would definitely have a inspection, a walk through to show me how everything works. I would have my wife or me video the whole process. That way if I had a small problem I could go back and look at the video. Keep us posted on the model you choose.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:11 AM   #3

Good choice - we are interested in the new Champagne front kitchen model by Cedar Creek - very similar to Riverstone model but CC has a pocket door in bathroom (very high point for us)

Keep us posted on your search
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:20 AM   #4
Coach

You're really not offering us nearly enough information. We don't know if you're buying new or used, if it has slides or not, or if it's a dealer or private sale. Trying to figure out just three questions would be hard. I ask lots of questions.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:54 AM   #5

Cc makes lots of fivers.

We thought these units were good bang for the buck. Fewer expensive items to fix.

You have to research to death. The cc hathaway was our best fit. We bought the 34RE with a lighter hitch and shorter length. Everyone is different.

We wanted liter hitch, shorter length, king bed and a washer dryer. Plus lots of other things. We wanted a fiver that easily goes 3-4 days without plugging in. Oversized wheels and axles, same as larger models. Better mattress, porceline toilet, fiberglass shower, std water heater, level system, two ac units. Convection oven, Two max air fans, 13 cu ft fridge. 4 6 volt batteries. Lazy boy furniture. Built in vacuum.

You need a good dealer.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:34 AM   #6

A couple of questions to you before the dealer.......... Have you had a camper prior to this ??, do you have enough truck to pull it ??, have you decided on which hitch you plan on using?, Type camping will you do mostly, boondocking, or in a campground ?

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:38 AM   #7

Don't leave the dealer lot without Saliun, Maxxis, or GY Endurance tires.
mbbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:41 AM   #8
Site Team

More of a general recommendation than a "top three questions"

As hard as it may be, be sure to take your emotions out of the process and make the purchase a business deal. Remember this is what the dealer is doing.
This means do not sign for or leave with the unit until you have checked everything out and it is exactly the way you want it. Until the dealer has their money they are very motivated to make things right. Once you sign that motivation is gone. They will tell you to sign and take it and make of list of needed warranty work, This means returning it where it can sit for months. Back to questions. Rather than ask questions look for yourself. Check that all items work, there is no damage, date code on tires is reasonable, battery is correct, dealer has explained how everything operates. If the unit is winterized have them dewinterize and demo the water system and rewinterize. Do not assume if it is in the brochure it will be in your unit. All brochures have a disclaimer about changes without notification. If you have specific questions I recommend asking them here as you are more likely to get accurate answers than at the dealer. If trying to decide on different models imagine yourself stuck in the unit for 2-3 rainy days in a row. Be realistic about sleeping capacity. Do you really want to make and unmake a dinette or sofa into a bed every day? Consider where you will be camping ( full hookups or boondocking) when you choose appliances. When you do finally get it, have fun.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:25 AM   #9

Can't tell if you are looking at new or used.

1st - Must understand that everything in the RV is not made by CC, the unit may be assembled by CC, but the RV is still made up of major components from other manufacturers that have their own warranties, recalls, support, and issues. i.e. air conditioners, frame, refrigerator, stove, etc.. Don't rely on CC to have all recalls and issues with other manufacturers components done before hand.

2nd - Don't wait until you purchase your RV to do your homework, use the internet, investigate the RV has a whole and as components before you buy. Just don't ask others, do your own work. Check the model see what problems, recalls, positive/negative comments exist. Go to the component level, check the same thing, problems, recalls, etc. After my fireplace fell out three times, I found a recall adding a lock by the manufacturer. My RV didn't have it installed. So much time wasted had I just done my homework. Going directly to the component manufacturer for help, has saved me so much time. Be surprised what they'll do for you that CC won't.

3rd - Before your walk thru have a list of issues, recalls, concerns you've found doing your homework. In my research I found that the bathroom sinks were known for not being installed correctly, I had the drawers pulled and sure enough mine were not installed right and leaking. Make sure you get manuals and warranty information on all major components, if not, get them right away. You can get them off the internet if need be. Other component manufactures might have longer/extended warranties available. Most important do your walk through before the handing over the check. Get any concerns/work to be done in writing before you take ownership.

Hope this helps... just my lessons learned.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbbutler View Post
Don't leave the dealer lot without Saliun, Maxxis, or GY Endurance tires.
If you have Westlake tires consider yourself lucky. If anyone can post an actual problem that happened to them using these tires, please post it.
2017 Ford F350 SRW CC SWB 4x2
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k Hitch
sh1pper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:46 AM   #11

I have Westlake trailer tires on my 2016 Cedar Creek bought new in the Spring of 2015. The trailer was shipped with Westlake tires on it and I was very concerned with them when the trailer was new. Since these are made by a Chinse firm. I did investigate the tires on this forum and on other forums. From what I found out about the WESTLAKE tiers in this size that is used on the CEDAR CREEKS has had very little tire failures.

I am replacing these tires this year since they are going on 5years old (date code of tires)and I will replace them with WESTLAKE ST tires of the same size.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:37 AM   #12

Ok, decision has been made. New CC 38FLX brought from a dealer, it will have to be ordered since there are options that have to be added during construction. In answer to a few questions.

We have a GMC dually, hitch is a Reece or Reese (not sure on the spelling, that is my husbands area), it will be our 1st 5'r and it will be parked full time in a park until our land is cleared and FH's installed and pad poured.

Don't think I have answered all the questions but appreciate all the information.
kcrobin47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 05:58 AM   #13

The MOST IMPORTANT thing you have accomplished is learning how to use this forum. You will need it. You will use it!
S**t happens at the worst possible time. People here are a GREAT resource.
May your new rig bring you lots of enjoyment [emoji304].
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote