Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2013, 12:24 AM   #1

towing behind 5th wheel

Hey All

I was crawling under the 5er the other day and saw a couple large pieces of the frame and what looks like mounting holes at the back end.

Just wondering if anyone has set their rigs up to pull anything..?

I am not thinking about a tandem pull as it is not legal here but was wondering if I could mount my bike;s front tire on a rack and have the rear tire follow on the ground..?

Backing up would be an issue but...........

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:43 AM   #2
Always Learning

The Idaho Tote sounds very similar to that. Connects with 2 hitch points and has a swivel wheel in the back. According to the company, they're legal. According to some reading I've done, some places still consider the a trailer (FL and VA, I think).

If you're "permanently bolting" it to the frame, I think the rules could possibly be tested as it's not a hitch mounted product.

But, I don't know the rules well enough to say either way.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #3

If he is in British Columbia, Canada, which I think he is, the Idaho Tote is not legal behind a 5th wheel.
Campingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #4

Those type of attachments are hard to judge the rear swing of things. I was going to go that route but decided against it.
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #5

Tandem / Tandem tows are not legal here in B.C. Camping nut has that correct, over the border to Alberta they are legal. I thought about insuring the truck n 5er over there but you need a drivers license then and an address and it becomes a pain.

My problem is that the wife and I both have bikes, we looked at many pull behinds but nothing large enough to make DW happy for full time living. Hence the 5er, so now I need to figure out how to move the bikes at the same time....was hoping another vehicle and trailer was not the answer.

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #6

Maximum lengths for Recreational

Vehicles

• Maximum total length for a motorhome is 14.0
metres (45.93 feet).
• Maximum length for a towed recreational
vehicle is 12.5 metres (41 feet).
• Maximum overall length for a combination is
20.0 metres (65.6 feet).

We I am done. Found this reference on my local Insurance site, I am almost at max length now so pulling something is out of the question.

I guess DW will have to follow pulling the bikes or we change to a toy hauler or a motor home that can pull something. Thanks for everyone's input..!