Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2019, 05:54 PM   #1

Trailair hitting front cap

Came home this weekend from a trip and noticed two marks on the front cap where the bolts on top of the trailair pin box have been hitting it. Checked pinbox everything is tight. Rubbed enough to dig into the gel coat . Anyone out there ever run into this before?
Old 07-25-2019, 09:12 PM   #2

Yep same thing on my 5th. Mine went a tad deeper in that its past the gel coat and into the composite slightly. Since its underneath I am not going to worry about it unless it gets worse
Old 07-25-2019, 09:56 PM   #3

Never heard of this happening, I'm gonna check mine tomorrow!

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:03 AM   #4

Is the bottom of the front sagging or is it that the hitch is moving up. If it is the latter the front frame mount might be weakening, and this I would be worried about as lippert did have a problem with that.
Campingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 12:00 PM   #5

I never have experienced that With my TrailAir pin box either.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:33 PM   #6
DDC

There shouldn’t be any movement there, unless the frame has a problem, I’d be checking into that if I were you, good luck keep us updated with your findings.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:19 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Can you post a photo?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:37 PM   #8

Is your Trailair aired up properly?

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:47 PM   #9
Always Learning

After I raised my pinbox to try and get my rig more level, I ended up with very little space between the top of it and the overhang:

I ran like this for another 9 months before trading it. If it rubbed at all, it was pretty slight (or not at all). Never enough that it concerned me.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:48 PM   #10

Im using the flex air trailer air and when I first installed it on my 5th wheel it looked ok then when the weight was on the pin it was striking the bottom of the cap.
I moved it down to the next set of holes and added extra grade 8 bolts on each side and no more issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180829_185125.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	328.6 KB
ID:	210868  
Old 07-26-2019, 10:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyhop View Post
Came home this weekend from a trip and noticed two marks on the front cap where the bolts on top of the trailair pin box have been hitting it. Checked pinbox everything is tight. Rubbed enough to dig into the gel coat . Anyone out there ever run into this before?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkochel View Post
Yep same thing on my 5th. Mine went a tad deeper in that its past the gel coat and into the composite slightly. Since its underneath I am not going to worry about it unless it gets worse
Yep, same thing has happened to me. Two pretty deep indentations the size of the bolts on the pin box, but don't think they broke through entirely. Noticed it while on a trip earlier this year. Unit is at dealer waiting to go for repair at a paint shop that does work for them. Service tech has said they have checked out everything on the pin box and found all the bolts tight. He doesn't understand how that happened. But you can see where the two bolts on top match up with the two indentations under the front of the unit.

Thought it was because of I-80 here as they are pretty rough along this stretch of road (brand new cabinets doors fell apart basically driving 20m homne from the dealer after just being replaced). But now I have thoughts maybe it has to do more with the air-bag as I seem to have to add air more than I would think I should have to. Is anyone else seeing their air-bag low where it is below the white line after hitching up?

Watching it through the inside rear-view mirror I see the shock go up and down which I would expect it to. But sometimes it seems to bounce up and down below the line for a while then it appears to bounce normally showing the line on the up motion. I'm wondering if the air-bag may be defective as it always seems to be low after setting awhile?

Bad thing is the only way to effectively add air is after you have hitched up raising all the jacks so the full weight of the unit is on the hitch. Luckily this last trip I brought my air pump along, but it is a hassle with getting it out along with an extension cord and then storing it all back when you are trying to pull out of camp.

We will be at the rally next month, maybe CC will have some answers by then.

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 11:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBill View Post
Yep, same thing has happened to me. Two pretty deep indentations the size of the bolts on the pin box, but don't think they broke through entirely. Noticed it while on a trip earlier this year. Unit is at dealer waiting to go for repair at a paint shop that does work for them. Service tech has said they have checked out everything on the pin box and found all the bolts tight. He doesn't understand how that happened. But you can see where the two bolts on top match up with the two indentations under the front of the unit.

Thought it was because of I-80 here as they are pretty rough along this stretch of road (brand new cabinets doors fell apart basically driving 20m homne from the dealer after just being replaced). But now I have thoughts maybe it has to do more with the air-bag as I seem to have to add air more than I would think I should have to. Is anyone else seeing their air-bag low where it is below the white line after hitching up?

Watching it through the inside rear-view mirror I see the shock go up and down which I would expect it to. But sometimes it seems to bounce up and down below the line for a while then it appears to bounce normally showing the line on the up motion. I'm wondering if the air-bag may be defective as it always seems to be low after setting awhile?

Bad thing is the only way to effectively add air is after you have hitched up raising all the jacks so the full weight of the unit is on the hitch. Luckily this last trip I brought my air pump along, but it is a hassle with getting it out along with an extension cord and then storing it all back when you are trying to pull out of camp.

We will be at the rally next month, maybe CC will have some answers by then.
Fill the bag when loaded on truck. Remove from truck and measure the air pressure. That is the pressure you need to add while disconnected from truck when it is easy to get to... mine is just over 80 lbs.

Also, I’ve seen where others have complained about having to fill to often. When I bought my TA I got it installed by Orvan the Cedar Creek expert. The first thing he did was remove the schrader (sp) valve and add Teflon tape to the threads. He said there were some issues there.. don’t know?

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 08:12 AM   #13

Trailair hitting front cap

I use a bicycle pump, nice one, to pump up the bag. Also I let mine run below the line a bit. Mine seems to stay aired up. But I’ve air bags on my Sunseeker that I adjusted before I moved every time.

But the bicycle pump made it like a 2 min job.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 08:29 AM   #14

I carry a portable air tank rated for 125PSI that holds 6 gallons of air. I use this to fill up my TrailAir pin box when I am hitched to the truck. I purchase this tank from Harbor Freight over 10 years ago when I had my other 5er with a TrailAir pin box on it also.
Old 07-27-2019, 12:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Fill the bag when loaded on truck. Remove from truck and measure the air pressure. That is the pressure you need to add while disconnected from truck when it is easy to get to... mine is just over 80 lbs.

Also, I’ve seen where others have complained about having to fill to often. When I bought my TA I got it installed by Orvan the Cedar Creek expert. The first thing he did was remove the schrader (sp) valve and add Teflon tape to the threads. He said there were some issues there.. don’t know?
Don't know why I hadn't thought about measuring the air pressure after pumping it up on the truck. Most likely a senior moment. Will have to give that a try.

Also will have to check to see if there is tape on the schrader valve. Thanks for the heads up.

2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Old 07-29-2019, 06:31 AM   #16

I am making the presumption you are increasing the air on the trail air when the trailer is attached and the hitch is taking the pin weight total.

And You are correct - the rubber doughnuts seem to lose air in a short time. I carry a portable 12 volt air compressor which I purchased from an auto shop in Bangor.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:16 AM   #17

Mine leaks. I think they all leak.

Mine didn't help much, that I could tell. Had to put 100 psi in it to get arrows right...........until I replaced the 18K bladder with the next size up.....21K. Now it works great, holds 93 lbs to be at optimum position, and actually has some cushion to it.....not stiff like it was when the smaller original one was hard as a rock.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:24 PM   #18

Would like to replace the bladder on mine. Where can you get the new bladder at.?
ba964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:41 PM   #19

Thanks everyone for your replies. We will be taking 1200 mile trip next week. I am going to make sure the pin box is aired up at all times and report back after the trip. Hopefully all goes well!
Old 07-30-2019, 11:29 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyhop View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies. We will be taking 1200 mile trip next week. I am going to make sure the pin box is aired up at all times and report back after the trip. Hopefully all goes well!
Have you repaired the two holes previously made? Safe travels on your trip. Will this be to the Rally?