Old 06-27-2013, 12:04 PM   #11

Our Silverback has the same problem. There is an opening roughly 3" x 4" beside each front jack.

mike2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 03:39 PM   #12

We were invaded in ours. There are many holes under the trailer that needed to be sealed. They are able to get in not only from the Jack openings but also the hitch area. Purchased steel wool by the roll and great stuff products and went under the trailer to plug anything that even resembled a hole. Very disappointed with the openings and holes that FR leaves. I thought by purchasing a good quality trailer that we wouldn't have these problems. This was the worst.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 05-15-2016, 03:53 PM   #13

On a fifth wheel openings in the bottom near the battery and propane tanks are there for a reason............. do not close them in.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:12 AM   #14

Same with ours. Cut 1/4 inch hardware mesh to cover the opening. Though the opening was to large to just use foam. Than used foam to fill the void. Foam will seal the void and mesh will keep anything out that wants to chew through the foam.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:31 PM   #15

Thanks everyone. It was very discouraging to have this happen. They even ate a hole in our select comfort mattress. Any suggestion on the AC seems they got in there also. I will need to get up on the roof to check out the ac's.

Old 05-18-2016, 07:16 PM   #16
Crabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRCreekers View Post
I was out doing some stuff on the camper the other day and noticed something that has me concerned. I had the door to the Level-up System open and noticed that there is an opening around the front left strut that comes into the front storage compartment. Now it has probably been that way from the start and this is the first time I noticed it and became concerned. It's obvious that critters could get into the front storage area. I'm thinking mice, squirrel-sized critters, or maybe snakes. Could they then get into the camper? I looked around in the compartment and didn't notice any openings but now I'm wondering. Is this opening around the strut common? Anyone ever have any critter problems caused by this?
Yes we noticed the same thing and to our surprise birds were trying to make a nest. Forest River is very ignorant about these types of issues when designing the unit. We have other concerns as well such as the microwave vent which is not screened and a good place for bees. We did however use non-expanding foam to fill the void around the jacks in the front and it sealed off the area to keep out varmint's.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc of the Sun View Post
We were invaded in ours. There are many holes under the trailer that needed to be sealed. They are able to get in not only from the Jack openings but also the hitch area. Purchased steel wool by the roll and great stuff products and went under the trailer to plug anything that even resembled a hole. Very disappointed with the openings and holes that FR leaves. I thought by purchasing a good quality trailer that we wouldn't have these problems. This was the worst.

Mice will eat steel wool, use a copper mesh such as some pot scrubbing pads.