Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #1

Trailer Wide Open Around Landing Gear Strut

I was out doing some stuff on the camper the other day and noticed something that has me concerned. I had the door to the Level-up System open and noticed that there is an opening around the front left strut that comes into the front storage compartment. Now it has probably been that way from the start and this is the first time I noticed it and became concerned. It's obvious that critters could get into the front storage area. I'm thinking mice, squirrel-sized critters, or maybe snakes. Could they then get into the camper? I looked around in the compartment and didn't notice any openings but now I'm wondering. Is this opening around the strut common? Anyone ever have any critter problems caused by this?
2013 Chevy 3500HD, D/A, DRW, 4X4
WeRCreekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:01 PM   #2

Had our 34 RLSA a little less than a month and noticed the same thing. In previous 5th., wheels under the propane tanks which has to have ventilation, there was a opening. I always put a open container of moth balls there to keep the wasp out but the large opening you are talking about could allow a a large animal in. Interested to see what others are doing with this space.

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #3

On our 38FL there is metal all the way around the cylinder - there is probably only 1/4" or so space around that you can "see" into the storage compartment.

Still probably enough room for a bee, but because of the angles and such, not likely a small animal could get in to the area where the small space is there.
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #4
Certified Curmudgeon

1/4" gaps on both sides. Used foam backer rod and silicone adhesive over the top to seal it tight. A friend of mine said that if boats were made like trailers, they would all sink.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:36 AM   #5

Exclamation Sheet Metal

We had a mouse come up that same landing gear strut in our Silverback 35QB4, get into the garage and chew through our BARBQ bag! Had never had a rodent issue in four years at the exact same location with our previous trailers. This was one week after we brought the new fifth wheel to the location!

Immediately took it to our local dealer, they installed a piece of sheet metal by riveting it in place and then used spray foam, then a coating of rubber spray over that. It is bomb (and rodent) proof now, and have never had a rodent issue again.

If you are handy with the tools, you could do it yourself in a couple of hours max. We had the dealer do it and it cost us a couple hundred bucks, but we have peace of mind that rodents are kept out by the fix.

I highly recommend that you do the same...that strut is a rodent highway, and it is only a matter of time!

tyee43
2011 Chev Silverado 3500HD Dually Duramax Turbo Diesel - Allison Trans / PullRite 20.5K Super 5th Wheel Hitch & SuperRails / Trailair Tri-Glide Air Ride Pin Box #21,000 / Honda 3000i Handi

mdamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:57 AM   #6

Picture of the landing gear opening!

Here are a couple of pictures of the opening around the drivers side landing gear. The opening is actually larger than I first thought. Certainly an animal the size of a cat, opossum, raccoon, or birds, could easily make a home in the front of our Cedar Creek basement. Any suggestions on what others are doing about this would be appreciated.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:03 AM   #7

Yuck - outside of ours is the same. Inside is not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3781903471.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	33781   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-38372324.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	33782  
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:38 AM   #8

I really don't know what they (Cedar Creek) was thinking when they designed this. I think we have all dealt with bird nest in the pin box but this is bad. Leaving it up the the purchaser of a new unit to deal with sealing up openings like this??????

Old 06-22-2013, 09:58 AM   #9

Silverback 29re

I posted on this very subject last year on 11-21-2012, I guess it is a problem with more units than the silverback?? I don't think Forest River is to concerned with this problem as I spoke (phone) with an engineer at the factory about this issue last year. I happen to know a person ( Oakman) who is going to Goshen in August and will be bringing this issue up with Forest River, I guess we will all see what forest river intends to do about it??
Old 06-22-2013, 10:53 AM   #10
Campfire Master

I would try some spray foam. Kinda lay some tape over the area, the coat the other side with foam. Once the foam hardens up there will be no need for the tape. Great Stuff has a foam designed for pest blocking. Great Stuff

John
AVid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #11

Our Silverback has the same problem. There is an opening roughly 3" x 4" beside each front jack.
mike2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 02:39 PM   #12

We were invaded in ours. There are many holes under the trailer that needed to be sealed. They are able to get in not only from the Jack openings but also the hitch area. Purchased steel wool by the roll and great stuff products and went under the trailer to plug anything that even resembled a hole. Very disappointed with the openings and holes that FR leaves. I thought by purchasing a good quality trailer that we wouldn't have these problems. This was the worst.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Arc of the Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 02:53 PM   #13

On a fifth wheel openings in the bottom near the battery and propane tanks are there for a reason............. do not close them in.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:12 AM   #14

Same with ours. Cut 1/4 inch hardware mesh to cover the opening. Though the opening was to large to just use foam. Than used foam to fill the void. Foam will seal the void and mesh will keep anything out that wants to chew through the foam.
segel10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 02:31 PM   #15

Thanks everyone. It was very discouraging to have this happen. They even ate a hole in our select comfort mattress. Any suggestion on the AC seems they got in there also. I will need to get up on the roof to check out the ac's.

Arc of the Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:16 PM   #16
Crabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRCreekers View Post
I was out doing some stuff on the camper the other day and noticed something that has me concerned. I had the door to the Level-up System open and noticed that there is an opening around the front left strut that comes into the front storage compartment. Now it has probably been that way from the start and this is the first time I noticed it and became concerned. It's obvious that critters could get into the front storage area. I'm thinking mice, squirrel-sized critters, or maybe snakes. Could they then get into the camper? I looked around in the compartment and didn't notice any openings but now I'm wondering. Is this opening around the strut common? Anyone ever have any critter problems caused by this?
Yes we noticed the same thing and to our surprise birds were trying to make a nest. Forest River is very ignorant about these types of issues when designing the unit. We have other concerns as well such as the microwave vent which is not screened and a good place for bees. We did however use non-expanding foam to fill the void around the jacks in the front and it sealed off the area to keep out varmint's.
Crabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 04:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc of the Sun View Post
We were invaded in ours. There are many holes under the trailer that needed to be sealed. They are able to get in not only from the Jack openings but also the hitch area. Purchased steel wool by the roll and great stuff products and went under the trailer to plug anything that even resembled a hole. Very disappointed with the openings and holes that FR leaves. I thought by purchasing a good quality trailer that we wouldn't have these problems. This was the worst.

Mice will eat steel wool, use a copper mesh such as some pot scrubbing pads.
florabama is offline   Reply With Quote