Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #1

TV Antenna Booster Control --Where is it?

Hi all,

We have a new 2013 Cedar Creek Cottage 40CFK. The dealer and I have searched for quite a bit but can't find the antenna amplifier switch. There doesn't seem to be any related documentation about the amplifier.

Does anyone know where it's hidden? Or, how it interacts with the "Cable" input? There's no RF source switch box.

If the switch is behind the Living Room TV, does anyone know how to remove the TV in order to get behind it to throw a switch?

Does Forest River offer detailed wiring and plumbing diagrams to its customers?

Frank
KR1ZAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #2

Frank, hopefully someone with your model of Cedar Creek can give you an exact answer, but I'll try in the meantime.

If you don't have a switch box to control what the input is to your TV, the you have a wall plate that looks like this:

Name:   image-72930391.jpg
Views: 2199
Size:  26.8 KB

The coax that connects to the TV is going to be connected to that switch plate, so hopefully you can just follow the coax wire from the TV. When the little black button on that is pushed in (green light on) then you have off-the-air TV. When it's out/off, the "Cable" input on the outside of the RV will be connected to the TV. Because you have to switch it between the two, it's not something that you will have to remove the TV to get to.

And no, there are no wiring or plumbing diagrams available. We all wish they were.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #3

We have a cedar creek 36Ckts it's in the cabinet were the tv is at I hope this helps !
Cowboy 54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:23 PM   #4

I have a 2010 CC 34SATS and the amplifier button is behind the tv on the coax outlet plate. I can't see it. I have to feel around for it. Happy hunting!
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR1ZAN View Post
Hi all,

We have a new 2013 Cedar Creek Cottage 40CFK. The dealer and I have searched for quite a bit but can't find the antenna amplifier switch. There doesn't seem to be any related documentation about the amplifier.

Does anyone know where it's hidden? Or, how it interacts with the "Cable" input? There's no RF source switch box.

If the switch is behind the Living Room TV, does anyone know how to remove the TV in order to get behind it to throw a switch?

Does Forest River offer detailed wiring and plumbing diagrams to its customers?

Frank
Frank,
I think you have the same entertainment center the larger CC 5er's have. If your TV
is a motorized lift Jensen, your amp should be in one of the bottom cabinets on the side of your entertainment center. Most likely the one under your DVD player. You might also be able to follow the antenna coax from the rear of the TV as it goes directly to the amp IF you have an external roof mounted antenna. If you don't have a roof mounted Winegard, you will not have an amp. I could not find a spec sheet for your model that reads you have one.
Hope this helps.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
If you don't have a roof mounted Winegard, you will not have an amp. I could not find a spec sheet for your model that reads you have one.
Hope this helps.
Duck,
just wanted to mention that Jack antennas have the same booster control setup that the Winegards have.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:01 PM   #7
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Duck,
just wanted to mention that Jack antennas have the same booster control setup that the Winegards have.
That is true however, I do not believe Cedar Creek uses Jack antennae.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #8

I have a 2014 cottage CCK. The amplifier plate is located inside the cabinet where the tv is at. We opened the right cabinet door and looked in the back, that is where you will find it.
Ray B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #9
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray B View Post
I have a 2014 cottage CCK. The amplifier plate is located inside the cabinet where the tv is at. We opened the right cabinet door and looked in the back, that is where you will find it.
X-2
Old 09-03-2013, 01:53 PM   #10

Quote:
We have a cedar creek 36Ckts it's in the cabinet were the tv is at I hope this helps !
We have the 34 RLSA and that's where ours is as well. When I'm at the factory next month, I'm going to ask why they think it is necessary to hide it all the way back in a low cabinet. I'm old and I have to get down on my knees to reach in and push the button. <Gripe, gripe, gripe ...>
2013 Chevy 3500HD, D/A, DRW, 4X4
WeRCreekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #11

Thanks for all the help; but, no cigar!

Hi everyone,

Being new to the Forum, I wasn't sure if anyone was listening; however, I sincerely appreciate all the replies.

Our Cottage is equipped with a crank up Winegard bat wing antenna. The TV is a Jensen, but, it's not the motorized mount. I can't find any information in the owner's manuals supplied with the RV that show how the TV is mounted. I'm waiting for the dealer to find out either from his techs or FR how to get the TV off the mount and see what's behind it.

I've had a TV camera behind the TV set and don't see a wall plate. It appears that the coax just comes out of a hole in the wall. There's a second F-connector outlet plate in the bedroom, but, no amplifier control there.

On the outside of the RV, there are two F-connectors for "cable" and "satellite". The two connectors in the bedroom are labeled "TV antenna" and "satellite dish hook up". My cable signal from the outside comes out of the "TV antenna" port in the bedroom.

I've spoken with several folks at the dealership and several other FR owners who state the antenna amplifier control is located behind the "main" TV; but, until I get the TV off its mount (without damaging something), I won't know if this is the case.

If I ever get the answer, I'll give a full report here.

Thanks again to everyone ...

Frank
Old 09-04-2013, 11:11 AM   #12
Certified Curmudgeon

Frank,
All of the Jensen wall mounts are lift off. It does require a little encouragement to get the TV past the detent...
Ducky
Old 09-04-2013, 12:02 PM   #13

Quote:
On the outside of the RV, there are two F-connectors for "cable" and "satellite". The two connectors in the bedroom are labeled "TV antenna" and "satellite dish hook up". My cable signal from the outside comes out of the "TV antenna" port in the bedroom.
I don't agree that the booster control has to be where the main TV is. It could be in the bedroom. Could you please take a picture of that two-outlet plate in the bedroom and post it for us here?
Old 09-05-2013, 10:13 AM   #14

Bedroom TV Plate Photo

Howdy,

I'm sure you're looking for a small button on the plate, but, it's just a dual female F connector plate. I removed the plate and saw only two mating wires inside the wall. No amplifier. No splitter. Photo of plate attached (I think).

My dealer is sending a service tech out Saturday (9/7) to look at several issues and, hopefully, the antenna amp will be one of those. The dealer has a call and email into FR, but, the call load is so great that we're told to expect 48 to 72 hours for any kind of response -- which may be an idea of how long it will take to provide any kind of solutions.

Frank
Old 09-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #15

I guess I used the wrong button to add a photo, so I'm attaching a jpeg file.

Frank

Click image for larger version

Name:	BedroomTVPlate.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	39308

Quote:
Howdy,

I'm sure you're looking for a small button on the plate, but, it's just a dual female F connector plate. I removed the plate and saw only two mating wires inside the wall. No amplifier. No splitter. Photo of plate attached (I think).

My dealer is sending a service tech out Saturday (9/7) to look at several issues and, hopefully, the antenna amp will be one of those. The dealer has a call and email into FR, but, the call load is so great that we're told to expect 48 to 72 hours for any kind of response -- which may be an idea of how long it will take to provide any kind of solutions.

Frank
Old 09-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #16

For the actual answer I would call CC..

However thinking out loud - this is a Park Model - might it be possible they hardwired the antenna to be on all the time???
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38FLCamper View Post
However thinking out loud - this is a Park Model - might it be possible they hardwired the antenna to be on all the time???
The problem with that theory is that it leaves no way to switch between the "Park Cable" input and the OTA antenna.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #18

Here's the answer!

A technician from our dealer came out Saturday. He was strong enough to lift the Living Room TV off the mount -- snug fit. Behind the TV, approximately centered in the cabinet opening, was the 120V outlet, TV cable/amplifier switch and Auxiliary interface for Satellite. The Tech didn't bug this out, but, I will in the future, to determine if Aux is the coax line to the bedroom.

I'm including the photo of the plates in a photo below. Also, the Tech adjusted the mounting bracket to allow the top of the TV to be relatively easily tilted forward, so that one can get up on a small folding ladder and reach behind to toggle the TV Amplifier Switch.

Somewhere in the future I plan to determine exactly which amplifier plate this is and look into remoting the power switch. It's ridiculous to have the TV plate mounted where it is.

Thanks to all of you who contributed ideas and suggestions.

Frank

----------------------
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LR_TV_Jack_Plate.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	39515  
Old 09-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #19

Wow! That's close to the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen! Not only do you need to get to that switch, but you have to connect your Sat receiver to those jacks as well. What were they thinking.

You won't be able to just remote the switch as you said. You need to move both of those plates to a place where you can reach them. If you have a place/cabinet where you would install a Sat receiver, I would suggest just remounting them in there (keeping in mind that your TV still has to connect to it as well). Do you have room on the wall where the TV mounts that is not behind the TV?