Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2012, 08:05 PM   #1

Tv's during winter storage

During winter storage does anyone keep their lcd tv's in their trailer? Have you had any issues?
Old 10-02-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I have left mine in my last 2 campers for 7 years ...... no issues !

I live in the midwest it get cold !

TURBS
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:52 AM   #3

We leave ours in all winter but we do use ours some in the winter, we usually try to get the camper warm before we turn the tv on been doing this for 3 years now with no problem.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:57 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

We leave ours in as well.
There is a file/link in the Herkbrary about this.
They are "good" to -40 or so.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Liquid Crystal Display Materials.pdf (212.5 KB, 43 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:58 AM   #5

We leave ours in, we have done this for years in other campers with no problems.
2 Beagles (Snoopy & Dexter)

Big Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #6

I take mine home. Get's a little chilly here in Canada.
camper007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:56 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

- 40 is pretty chilly!
Old 10-03-2012, 09:29 AM   #8
Mod free 5er

We take ours to Florida.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:54 AM   #9
Wanna Be Camper

some years we take it in some we don't. We can hit -35 or 40 here and haven't had any issues when we did leave it in the trailer.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:05 AM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
some years we take it in some we don't. We can hit -35 or 40 here and haven't had any issues when we did leave it in the trailer.
That's just too d@#$ cold!
Old 10-03-2012, 10:19 AM   #11

heck, i leave an lcd out on my back patio outside year round..... its under a patio, but still exposed to west texas heat, cold, wind, and dirt.......works fine and its been 4 years....so i have absolutely NO issues leaving them in my closed up, and stored trailer....
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #12

You know it is cold then you go outside with a cup of water toss the water into the air and before it can hit the ground it is frozen.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:30 AM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'm thinking does no one realize these things sit out in the cold in a semi trailer for a week or weeks on end waiting for delivery ?

I was contracted to haul a load of tv's for Wal-Mart with a pick up date at a storage facility in Michigan on a Monday to be delivered to mt pleasant Iowa on the previous Monday in the first week of January . Most likely they were in the trailer outside for 3 to 4 weeks.

Just sayin .

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #14

exactly....i never so much worry about the cold (although it can make your lcd take a few mins to warm up for decent pic quality if its freezing outside), but more about the HEAT....Heat is the number one killer of electronic components...cold not so much...
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:42 AM   #15

Doesn't *seem* right, but it sounds like there are no worries....

However, for those that have a built-in DVD player (like us) I would think it would be better to keep them in a warm dry place in the winter because of the moving parts in them. But then, CD players in vehicles don't seem to have problems in cold/wet winters.

I would think humidity is the no. 1 problem. You can have high humidity inside on a warm or cold day. I have visions of moisture inside the tv resulting in corrosion on anything corrode-able.

Here in the Pacific Northwest, it rains just about non-stop from late fall to early spring so for the minimal amount of work involved, I won't leave the tv out in the TT. Too much trouble to take out things like the fridge control board so that will stay...
Old 10-03-2012, 12:44 PM   #16
Hob

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
We leave ours in as well.
There is a file/link in the Herkbrary about this.
They are "good" to -40 or so.
Herk,

You seem to have an extensive amount of information stored in the "Herkbrary." Is there any way to access it without asking you or using the internet? We are going to southern New Mexico for the winter. We won't always have access to the internet because we are going to be off the grid for up to a week at a time. I would hate to be caught out and not have information at hand. I don't have the time to do the research you have done over time before we leave. That is why I'm asking if you have the "Herkbrary" stored some place I can download to have on my computer.

Best Regards,
Hob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:20 PM   #17
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hob View Post
Herk,

You seem to have an extensive amount of information stored in the "Herkbrary." Is there any way to access it without asking you or using the internet? We are going to southern New Mexico for the winter. We won't always have access to the internet because we are going to be off the grid for up to a week at a time. I would hate to be caught out and not have information at hand. I don't have the time to do the research you have done over time before we leave. That is why I'm asking if you have the "Herkbrary" stored some place I can download to have on my computer.

Best Regards,
Well, I store the manuals, URLs, and photographs I find on the internet in a folder on my hard drive organized by system. It is a bit over 3 gigabytes at the moment. (about a DVD-R full so far and still growing). Everything is here on the forum either as files in the files section or as photos in the posts themselves. Much of it will not apply to your camper. I have folders that deal with motor homes and 4 different types of water heaters for example.

Anyone with a bit of time on their hands can download the same information here and create their own "Hobbrary" that applies specifically to their camper.
If you need something you don't have (or can't find) PM me with your email and I will send what I have for that specific system.

I will not sell what I have collected over the last 4 years since I have no idea what is copyrighted or protected. It is a resource available to FRF members as long as I am a member.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:35 PM   #18
Hob

I was particularly interested, right now, on the bypassing of the internal water filter because when I'm on well water I prefer the use of an external filter. I found the internal trailer filter was choking off the water pressure all the time. The thing that bothered me the most was I unscrewed the inlet to the water filter and the outlet from the water filter and hooked them together. Removed the water filter canister and made my access to my water pump much easier. The thing that bothers me the most is, it was too darned easy after reading some of the directions I have read for bypassing the internal trailer filter. I haven't found any leaks. Anything as easy as mine was, worries me that I missed something. That is an example of what I thought might be in the Herkbrary. Some things being that easy are a huge mistake down the road. Thanks for your time and answer.

Regards,
Hob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #19
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hob View Post
I was particularly interested, right now, on the bypassing of the internal water filter because when I'm on well water I prefer the use of an external filter. I found the internal trailer filter was choking off the water pressure all the time. The thing that bothered me the most was I unscrewed the inlet to the water filter and the outlet from the water filter and hooked them together. Removed the water filter canister and made my access to my water pump much easier. The thing that bothers me the most is, it was too darned easy after reading some of the directions I have read for bypassing the internal trailer filter. I haven't found any leaks. Anything as easy as mine was, worries me that I missed something. That is an example of what I thought might be in the Herkbrary. Some things being that easy are a huge mistake down the road. Thanks for your time and answer.

Regards,
Sounds like you did just fine without any additional input.
Some things are really just that easy!