Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2012, 09:50 AM   #1

Unlocking the Lock

Our new Silverback has slam latches on the side storage doors but the front storage door and the small access door for the landing gear switch have the standard 751 locks. From day one I had to struggle to get the front storage door unlocked. I would have to jiggle and jiggle, lift up on the key, and utter a few curse words to get the key to unlock that door. It was so difficult that I just quit locking that door. The 751 lock on the small access door always unlocked without a problem. I figured that at the end of the season I would let the dealer replace that 751 lock under warranty.

Yesterday I was at the storage lot where we keep our trailer. Oh a whim I decided to try an old 751 key that I keep in the truck to see if it would work on that stubborn lock. Voila, it opened the lock without a problem and works on the access door too. It wasn’t a bad lock after all, it was the key. Both of the 751 keys that were given to us by the dealer are just a tiny bit longer than the old ones we have. Who would have thought it was the key?

So now that I have scratched that off the list for the dealer to fix I don’t have any problems with the new Silverback (knocking wood furiously). We’ve spent nine nights camping in the trailer so far and will be heading out next week for six more nights. I’m really impressed with the quality of the CC Silverback.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

They mass produce those keys and I cannot believe there
isn't more problems with fitment than there is.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:21 PM   #3

f1100turbo, I hadn't really thought about the number of 751 keys that are produced. I guess I was just lucky enough to get a pair that didn't work quite right.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 04-20-2012, 08:42 AM   #4

Oakman, since I store my SB at home, I took that 751 lock off the access door to the landing gear switch. But since the battery is also in this compartment, I can see where you would need it for a storage lot. Did you find the external switch to open and close the slides? It is inside a small hole to the left of the basement compartment on the backside of the unit. That is my next project... moving that switch to a more accessible location.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:43 AM   #5

I was shown the external switch for the slideouts on our PDI but since I’ve never used that switch on our previous two fifth wheels I didn’t pay much attention. I could be wrong but it seems to me that it was accessed from the front storage compartment. I’ll have to look at the location of the switch the next time we take it out. We are heading back over to Carlyle Lake Wednesday Apr 25th and staying for six nights.

I like your idea of replacing the 751 lock on the door for the battery/landing gear switch but as you said PapaSmurf, since we store our unit at a storage lot I’ll leave it as is.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 04-20-2012, 10:09 AM   #6

You could also reach it by reaching to the right from the battery/landing gear compartment. But you would have to duck your head for the bedroom slide. By going through the big basement door you only have to lean back a little. Once I get it moved, I will not even have to lean.

I like to use the outdoor switch so I can make sure my back slide is clearing the electric and water pedestals. I normally set-up by myself.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:19 AM   #7
Site Team

I have 4 of those 751 keys and each one required a different touch. The trick for me is the amount of pressure used or not used. Two of the keys requires a super lite touch using almost no pressure to turn the key.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
Oakman, since I store my SB at home, I took that 751 lock off the access door to the landing gear switch. But since the battery is also in this compartment, I can see where you would need it for a storage lot. Did you find the external switch to open and close the slides? It is inside a small hole to the left of the basement compartment on the backside of the unit. That is my next project... moving that switch to a more accessible location.
I was out at the trailer today and I found the hole for the external slideout switch that you were talking about. I didn't even notice that opening before. Thanks for pointing that out to me PapaSmurf.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 04-22-2012, 10:14 AM   #9

Oakman, I moved the switch out to an accessible location. Then I labeled it to remove the guesswork.
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2012, 11:30 AM   #10

That's a good mod PapaSmurf. I really like the labels showing in and out, smart idea.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788