Old 05-26-2015, 09:02 AM   #11
Sorry for the double post. Don't know what happened.

Skip & Susan Orrell
Hurst, Texas
2013 34 RLSA w/ most of the options
2013 Chevy 3500HD, D/A, DRW, 4X4
WeRCreekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:06 AM   #12
First of all I want to thank everyone for the replies. I always can count on this forum for useful information.

Secondly, Jim I did purchase the second year of warranty so I have another 12 months of coverage.

Lastly, what have I learned? I should contact LCI and inquire if they will be at the rally and what price they will charge me for an air pinbox with installation that will not void my warranty. Then take that price and shop around to see if it is a good deal. Also that it is possible to install myself along with a buddy but free install is always nice.

Thanks again,

birdman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:32 AM   #13
I am sure Lippert will be at the rally, they usually have the largest booth plus the past two years they offered a discount on labor I believe it was $50 a hour, but don't quote me on that plus could have gone up.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:53 AM   #14
I have a question for the respondents here. My OEM pinbox is 1621 bolt compatible. As installed at the top holes to bring the nose down, I am towing 1 to 2 inches nose high. When you replaced with the trailair did your nose raise? Ive already adjusted down as much as I can without raising the trailr.
2016 Wildcat 295RSX - 2015 GMC 2500HD DblCab Duramax/Allison 4x4 Z71 6.6' Bed
Maxxis 16" E; Ride Rite AirBags w/AirLift 1 wireless compr; Adv.Folding 4 Cover
Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset ball
LCI Ground Control 3.0 4pt + 2pt Elec.Rear stabilizers; 3 Slidecovers; 10ft. Portabote
6000# Dexters; mor/Ryde CRE3000 w/HD Wetbolts; King Dish Tailgater; 5hp Outboard
Dual A/C; Furrion 48 Rear Camera; Champion 3100 Inverter w/Extended Run
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:34 PM   #15

I am almost certain if you did buy at the rally and HAD IT INSTALLED while up there, your warranty would NOT be affected.
I had my 2015 built for my specs that included TrailAir at the factory. I have seen many show units with these hitch boxes.
The only bone they cold ever chew on IS: improper SELF INSTALLATION!
Unless you really screwed it up, and I don't know how you would even be that wrong, they could argue! You are not modifying the frame. You are AIDING THE RIDE!! We are talking bolts and torque, not fabrication....
The ride difference is unbelievable!
Nothing moves in our Silverback.
Go for it!! 😁
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 04:28 PM   #16
I agree with Mel. With that reason changing tires could be counted as the same. I put new all Grade 8 hardware.

Was just simply saying I would have it documented. I knew it was a long shot for any warrenty work for me. It just blew me away on that excuse. I was kinda expecting not the original owner and over two years old and any warranty expired.

I love my air ride. I did have to cut the plastic trim around pin box to get the fifth airborne to the top holes for level ride. Trail air may be different shape.

You will not regret it either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:36 PM   #17
Former Full Timer
Some good points regarding the advantages of an air ride. Also consider that you can can achieve that advantage with a hitch like a Hensley Trailer Saver and not change a darn thing on your trailer. As for the pin box, if you put one on that changes the offset from the frame mount to the king pin center you will change the geometry of the stress on the frame. This is most likely where you can get into "modification" issues. Is it not just easier to get the okey dokey from the folks who have those engineering numbers than to play roulette?

For the Wildcat owner: The important piece is the clearance from your cargo box to the bottom of your overhang. About 6" should keep you off the box. You can lower most hitches (dont know about goose necks) if you need to drop the nose. If you can't lower the hitch or will lose your clearance, you are left with raising the axles on the trailer or lowering your erector set on your TV.

The recipe for perpetual ignorance is:
Be satisfied with your opinions
and content with your knowledge.
Elbert Hubbard
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote