Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2017, 09:04 AM   #1

Vent covers for Fan-Tastic fans

Just looking for some expert opinions on the aftermarket vent covers. None that I have found including the Fan-Tastic covers will allow the vent covers to fully open. I have read many reviews about this topic and not surprisingly most are negative, so I thought I would go to experts on this site. I even called the factory (FAN-TASTIC) and they told me it's not an issue because the installed vent cover servo motor will automatically shut off when it meets resistance and that it only reduces the vent opening by a couple of inches. The other major complaint I found is they don't hold up to the sun and will fall apart in a couple of years, not a big problem because the price of the cover replacement is cheaper that the fan itself. There were also some complaints about the attachment hardware not holding the cover securely in place on the 4 installed posts.

Any all comments are appreciated!

Safe travels, Gary
Attached Images

kimau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:08 AM   #2

The vent cover that is there now Don't hold up well at all. The ones you add are much tougher and hold up very well. As far as the opening goes, they are right, no problem.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:15 AM   #3

My Mini-Lite came with a Maxx Air II on the bathroom vent fan. This year I installed another Maxx Air II on the front vent (no fan); so they match. Very simple 10 min job.

This video may help you decide regarding air flow, if it's a major concern to you:

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:24 AM   #4

We had a fantastic fan in our last rig, as well as 3 in our current CC. We put vent covers on all of them with no issues. We love being able to use the fans, or at least keep them open, regardless of the weather.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:12 PM   #5

I use the Max-Air vent covers.... you don't need the cover on the Fantastic Fan to fully open for the things to work. They open enough to get great air flow. They allow you to run down the road with the vents open, and the best part is they keep leaves and pine needles from getting on the screens...
Days Camped 74
twojump36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:45 PM   #6

I will tell you the two (Fantastic Vent & Maxx Air) install completely differently.

The fantastic Vent requires that you locate the existing screws that hold the Vent Fan to the roof & remove 4 of them. This requires that you scrape existing sealant off, remove screws, install screws back, then re-caulk. (I am not a fan of removing sealant on the roof if I don't have too)

The Maxx Air does not require you remove ANY existing Sealant.
You install "brackets" on the existing Fan Frame.

Also, If height of your Rig is important, the Fantastic Fan Vent cover is just a shy of 1" taller than the Max Air ll.
2016 Dodge Ram 3500

wbduckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:55 PM   #7
Canadian Member

I use the MaxxAir FanMate cover.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 05:44 PM   #8

I use Max airre for both of mine and they fully open. On one of my previous coaches the cover wasn't high enough for the existing Fantastic Fan cover to fully open. As mentioned by the factory, the motor will stop. However, I had to replace the motor twice. That was back when Fantastic Fans were warrantied for life, so it cost me nothing but a little installation time. But someone told me they are no longer life warrantied.
lacamastraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:09 PM   #9

Better with cover. Opening the fan is no issue. The cover allows your fan to be open in the rain, protects the fan and will last. Go get one!
Dpelaez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimau View Post
Just looking for some expert opinions on the aftermarket vent covers. None that I have found including the Fan-Tastic covers will allow the vent covers to fully open. I have read many reviews about this topic and not surprisingly most are negative, so I thought I would go to experts on this site. I even called the factory (FAN-TASTIC) and they told me it's not an issue because the installed vent cover servo motor will automatically shut off when it meets resistance and that it only reduces the vent opening by a couple of inches. The other major complaint I found is they don't hold up to the sun and will fall apart in a couple of years, not a big problem because the price of the cover replacement is cheaper that the fan itself. There were also some complaints about the attachment hardware not holding the cover securely in place on the 4 installed posts.

Safe travels, Gary
Watch the video rockfordroo posted. Use the Ultra breeze vent cover. You do have to remove 4 screws as I did on mine but it gave me the opportunity to cover the fan flange with Eternabond for a forever seal.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:53 PM   #11

Thank you all

I knew I would get many answers and opinions from the real experts. Safe travels to all and thank you very much for your time!
kimau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:23 AM   #12

I use the Fantastic Vent cover over our fan & a Maxi cover on the rear vent !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:43 AM   #13
Site Team

I've had both the Fan-Tastic and Maxx-Air fans and covers. While the fans are similar in performance, and cost, the fan covers aren't. The Maxx-Air cover installed by FR our our new TS 2390 rattles. This is due to the post / hinge mounting system allowing it to vibrate and shift at highway speed. Not a little noise...a lot of noise.

We turned in our TS to the dealer for some "debug" issues we discovered and the fan cover is one of the biggest issues we want addressed. Hopefully some foam tape to wedge, and silence, it a bit will do the trick...

With either one get the optional bug screens if offered, they are worth the money in our experience!
Old 08-16-2017, 07:59 AM   #14

We had Maxair covers on our previous fiver and they were very serviceable. When we got our current Silverback I put Fantastic vents on all three vents for consistency as we had 2 Fantastic fans. Installation of all three took out 40 minutes as I had not done it before. As others have said installation is very different for the two types but in my experience they both work. Year three with the Fantastic vents and no problems or complaints.
6.6 Duramax / Allison 1000
Flatlander49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:07 AM   #15

I would LOVE to have a reversible Fantastic Fan in the rear of our 2500TS !!!
Old 08-16-2017, 08:12 AM   #16

Pull down the inside vent cover and see if there are 12 volt wires there. Should be. You can add your own fan with a remote and in/out. Mine had one fan in the front, now one in the bed room and another in the kitchen, changed the one in the living room and bath. All now move air in or out. Great for cooling down when getting ready to travel.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimau View Post

Safe travels, Gary
I have installed three Fantastic vent covers over two trailers and will be doing one more this month. Yes the lid hits the cover but the Fantastic cover fits the Fantastic vent lid like a glove. Open the vent, slide the cover up to a tight fit and mount it. YES the auto open servo stops automatically when it hits the cover.

Fantastic cover IS the most expensive option, but worth it.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:54 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Pull down the inside vent cover and see if there are 12 volt wires there. Should be. You can add your own fan with a remote and in/out. Mine had one fan in the front, now one in the bed room and another in the kitchen, changed the one in the living room and bath. All now move air in or out. Great for cooling down when getting ready to travel.
Sounds Great !!!
Old 08-18-2017, 10:19 AM   #19

I have a Trav'ler satellite antenna and had problems with it, took it in for work and said the Trav'ler hitting the vent cover so that had to come off. Who knew
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:40 PM   #20

IF YOU NEED TO REMOVE SCREWS, be CERTAIN you have every tool you need b4 getting up there. I found a. Did not have enough tools, b. Found the factory boys used a screw gun and just slammed them in crooked!! Ugh. 10 minutes turned into 1 hour.
Thank you Amish Craftsman. You gotta have a sense of humor and a ton of patience to own one of these things!!
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, fan, vent