Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2013, 02:33 PM   #1

Want to replacement porch light with motion light

Owner of a 2012 CC 36RE and would like to do away with the small, useless amber porch light with a rectangular clear Smart Light. How do I eliminate the switch that turns it on to where I would have continuous power to it. The switch it is on also controls the indoor light above door as well as the "TINY"step light that I may change and include on motion light switch of possible. Can this be accomplished? Has anyone successfully done this mod? Cod not find it anywhere. Thanks in advance for your replies. Steve A.Dagro
sdagro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #2

If I understand you right you want to put in a motion light to replace the porch light? If that is correct look up on ebay starlight they have a replacement for like 50.00 bucks. You need the switch, because you can either use it on all the time or by motion . to go into motion you turn it on then off and back on again. If you just want the light on you just turn it as normal. I have 2 on my unit. As far as your step light just wire a night to day sensor in line then leave the switch on.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #3

Do I just bypass the inside switch and splice the 2 hots together. I do not want to leave switch on all the time because then I would have to disable the over the door inside light. Steve
Old 09-15-2013, 03:04 PM   #4

Sorry guys, didn't realize I posted on the wrong section. Should be on Cedar Creek.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdagro View Post
Sorry guys, didn't realize I posted on the wrong section. Should be on Cedar Creek.
Moved.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:08 PM   #6

Thanks
Old 09-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #7
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Do I just bypass the inside switch and splice the 2 hots together. I do not want to leave switch on all the time because then I would have to disable the over the door inside light. Steve
I replaced the anemic porch light with the Star Lights SL-1000. To solve the switch issue, I put a simple pull chain switch in the inside ceiling light. I also replaced the step light lamp with a LED (5050 SMD). Could only get a single LED in there as there is very little space.
The Star Lights blinks blue during the day, green when it's armed at night and red if your voltage is low. A nice visual tool.

If you decide on the SL-1000, you will have to drill holes for the mounting screws and use liberal amounts of sealant carefully avoiding the drain slot.

FYI - It was $54 at the Tampa RV Show.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:52 PM   #8

Quote:
You would at that point that you made split the 2 hots, either add a switch on the panel, or do the pull switch for the inside light. I have 2 like I stated 1 that I added the #1000 I was able to mount through my cabinet to run the wire then added a switch the same that are on my panel. The second 1 is the round ones in the front of the unit at the top. I just had to replace the current one I think it's 7" or 8" round on the driverside same size and mounting holes, it helps at night if someone walks on that side it will come on. That unit only has 1 direction sensor not like the #1000 that has a left and right and forward sensors. They are both made by Starlight. It's a great product. If you buy it from Starlight it's $90.00 but ebay has them for $50.00...... You could also just replace the fixture inside with the one's that have the on and off switch built in the cover

Old 09-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #9

I think the pull chain would be the easier route for me to take. Seems less evasive. And if I read right on Duck's post the holes on the SL-1000 DO NOT match the original anemic fixture? And are you referring to the drain slot on my CC or is there a drain slot on the SL-1000? Thanks, Steve
Old 09-16-2013, 07:40 AM   #10

Sdagro, Are you sure your overhead lights do not have an on and off switch already in the center. I just checked mine and they all do even with the light switch control on the wall? I think he means the drain opening in the center bottom of the #1000 starbright. It's like an 1/8" hole.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:59 AM   #11
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
I think the pull chain would be the easier route for me to take. Seems less evasive. And if I read right on Duck's post the holes on the SL-1000 DO NOT match the original anemic fixture? And are you referring to the drain slot on my CC or is there a drain slot on the SL-1000? Thanks, Steve
Correct. The mounting holes on the SL-1000 are offset too much to use the original oval mounting hole. I suppose you could drill the base of the SL1000 if you did not want to drill the glass.

The drain slot referenced is on the SL-1000. I'd take some pics for you but we are on the road sans Creek.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #12

All of the ceiling lights have switches. The one in question is a drop down light suspended with a bronze tube directly over the entry door. Re switch for this light also controls the porch light as well as the step light. I think my plan will be to use a pull chain for the suspended entry light so I can leave the switch in the on position to control the motion lights I will install at the 2 outside positions. Steve
Old 09-16-2013, 12:59 PM   #13

Quote:
All of the ceiling lights have switches. The one in question is a drop down light suspended with a bronze tube directly over the entry door. Re switch for this light also controls the porch light as well as the step light. I think my plan will be to use a pull chain for the suspended entry light so I can leave the switch in the on position to control the motion lights I will install at the 2 outside positions. Steve
Sounds like a plan it should work out great for you and also add some security at night....

Old 09-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #14
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
I don't think it will work like that. The pull chain will, and should, only control the pendant interior light. The bulb in that light should be a dual contact bayonet base. When you turn your "porch light" switch on. It will provide power to your pendant, porch and step light. The ODS security light switch provides the power to your SL-2000 assuming that is what you are replacing. That leaves the Door Side Security light switch unchanged.

Operation of the Star Lights is: Turn the switch on and they come on. Turn the switch off and on again fairly quickly arms them in motion sensor mode - nighttime.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
I don't think it will work like that. The pull chain will, and should, only control the pendant interior light. The bulb in that light should be a dual contact bayonet base. When you turn your "porch light" switch on. It will provide power to your pendant, porch and step light. The ODS security light switch provides the power to your SL-2000 assuming that is what you are replacing. That leaves the Door Side Security light switch unchanged.

Operation of the Star Lights is: Turn the switch on and they come on. Turn the switch off and on again fairly quickly arms them in motion sensor mode - nighttime.

Hope this helps.
Hey Duck,
Let me clarify my plan. I am going to put the SL2000 on my door side security light switch replacing the OEM light.
I will put the Sl 1000 on the switch with the inside light, porch light and tiny step light(might actually put a small motion light near step or delete that tiny useless light. At same time I will put pull chain on inside light. Is this pull chain going to control the outside power as well depending which wires I connect to switch? Can you tell i am no electrician? Thanks, Steve
Old 09-17-2013, 06:14 AM   #16
Certified Curmudgeon

The pull chain will only control the pendant when the porch light switch is on regardless if the status of the exterior lights.
If I was going to put an SL 2000 up it would be on the ODS because I already have a motion sensor light over the door. But that's me...
Old 09-17-2013, 06:40 AM   #17

Here are some pictures, #1000 porch light, #2000 ODS side, Night to Day sensor for the step light. Hope it helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sensers lights 001.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	39876   Click image for larger version

Name:	sensers lights 003.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	39877   Click image for larger version

Name:	sensers lights 002.jpg
Views:	102