Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2016, 01:13 PM   #1

Warning. Fresh water tank issue.

This ties into the topic "Basement Collapse" a bit. I just noticed a major bow under my fresh water tank on my 33RL. This trailer is brand new and has only 2 short road trips. The bow deflects the bottom plastic underbelly cover roughly 6 inches when my tank is completely full. This tank full of water weighs roughly 550 LBS with NO support except the 2 ends sitting on the lip of the frame. Mine was close to falling off the lip. What a disaster if this should happen while on the road. I installed (1 1/2 X 3/16 X 71 inches) angle across middle of tank and bolted to the frame at each end. Why the Manufacture thinks no support is required is beyond me. The Internet is full of these tanks falling out.
Doug Currie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:32 PM   #2

The water tank on my little 15RB had two straps of good old plumbers tape across the mid section. It bowed down at least six inches when full. Water I could not even get to.
I ran two strips of 2"x 2" fiberglass U channel in addition to the plumbers tape. It is now nice and flat across the bottom.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:24 PM   #3

My 33IK has two 2" wide metal support straps between the frame cross members as well as the step molded in to the tank that rests between two frame cross members holding it in place. Since the tanks are semi-flexible and not rigid, they are meant to "bow" some when full. I'd say the Amish Craftsmen forgot to put the straps in your unit.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 03:39 PM   #4

Are those straps visible or above the plastic belly.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:32 PM   #5

You'd have to drop a belly panel to see them. They cradle the tank between the two crossbeams that provide the major support for the FW tank just like the black and grey forward the axles. As you've seen, the tank sits above the plastic belly panels by a few inches so the straps couldn't go under the belly panels.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:22 PM   #6

It is a known deficiency on almost all campers and every camper I purchase gets reinforced and new tank mounts. I used to be upset about it but it is something that I just accept as a normal part of rv ownership.

The RV industry knows that most folks don't travel with water in their tanks so they usually get away with cheap mounting systems.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 04:47 PM   #7

I just droped my 2016 23ss roo off on Tuesday at the dealer for the same problem, filled the water tank at the campground Punderson state park in Newbury Ohio, I did not think I was going to make it to the camp site let alone last the weekend
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 06:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBiker View Post
The water tank on my little 15RB had two straps of good old plumbers tape across the mid section. It bowed down at least six inches when full. Water I could not even get to.
I ran two strips of 2"x 2" fiberglass U channel in addition to the plumbers tape. It is now nice and flat across the bottom.
What do you mean Plumbers Tape ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 07:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
What do you mean Plumbers Tape ???
I think he is referring to perforated strapping. I've seen it go by both strapping and tape depending upon where your from.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 07:04 AM   #10

Plumber's Tape

It is 3/4" metal straping with holes every inch or so. Plumber's use it to attach pipe to walls or basement ceilings.
Old 05-14-2016, 07:07 AM   #11

I had the same problem with my 2014 21FBRS. Never hauled more than 5-10 gallons in it and always filled up at campgrounds. I had the angle Iron supports beefed up and had steel plates welded across them. I guess FR will wait until a tank causes an accident with a consequent expensive law suit.
00buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 07:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoland30 View Post
It is 3/4" metal straping with holes every inch or so. Plumber's use it to attach pipe to walls or basement ceilings.
I got ya,,, Plumbers Strap !!! I did not know it was also called Tape,,,
Plumbers Tape to me is made of Teflon !!!
Thanks !!!
Old 05-14-2016, 07:34 AM   #13

I just went to safercar.gov a filed a compliant with the government, don't know if anything will come of this but if others do the same maybe forest river will do something
Old 05-14-2016, 07:37 AM   #14

Probably a good reason not to follow a TT to close going down the HWY !!!
Old 05-14-2016, 07:39 AM   #15
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareftn View Post
I just went to safercar.gov a filed a compliant with the government, don't know if anything will come of this but if others do the same maybe forest river will do something
Good for you that is the way these types of pending disasters should be handled.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 07:55 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareftn View Post

What they will do is replace it with the same soft steel angles fabricated from bent plate that LCI installed in the frame to begin with. i talked with LCI about ours and was told I void the frame warranty if I correct their design which failed lol. Screw them and their warranty. LCI made your frame and the water tank tray. It was shipped to Rockwood assembled and all Rockwood did was drop in the water tank. I suspect youll be without a camper for awhile unless your dealer just adlibs it and makes supports that will do the job. The dealer will go to Rockwood, Rockwood will go to LCI, and then they'll him haw around I suspect. I made new ones from 1 3/4 x 1 3/4 x 3/16 hot rolled angles.

I will also contact the NHTSA. This issue has to affect all 2016 and 2017 Roos. If your supports have not deflected yet just give it some time, they will.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:11 AM   #17

just got mine back on Monday 5/6 , dealer used tube steel to brace it up ,forest river never sent the part when they said it was shipped 5/27 by ups with no tracking number. it looks ok but I think I will change what they did.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:29 AM   #18

I ended up bracing mine from frame to frame with 1 3/4 angle iron under center of tank location.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:41 AM   #19

Mine looked weak a few weeks ago so I got a 2" wide ratchet strap and used rubber scraps to keep from scratching up the frame where the hooks meet the I beam. Cinch it down good in the center of the tank rail to rail and it's a little insurance policy against failure until I can permanently fix it this winter
Tony & Catnis, campin' kitties
Bobaloo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank