Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2014, 06:54 PM   #1

Washers and dryers

I know that some people like to use the laundromat and feel the washer and dryer add weight, cost a lot and the load has to be small. However, I want one in our CC36 ckts.
My dilemma is vented or ventless and combo washer/dryer or separate units. So those of you that have either the combo or separate, can you please tell me the pro's and cons?
Sewhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:32 PM   #2

I have the combo unit and am very happy with it. I wash a full load but dry in portions. If you let the clothes dry to long they get very wrinkled. Mine vents outside.
Debbie
Old 03-30-2014, 11:27 PM   #3

We had the Splendide combo washer dryer (vented). Quirks of the small loads and drying are minor. My wife did several small loads a week rather than wait until it piled up. She absolutely loved her little washer/dryer!

Back when we bought it, I researched the non-vented ones and got the impression that they just can't dry as well.

I use past tense because we didn't install the Splendide in this Silverback. We used it in our XLR toy hauler. When we bought the Silverback, I thought there would be room to mount the dryer in the closet where the hookups were. Turns out it I would have had to build a platform and the fit was incredibly tight. So now we mourn the loss of our Splendide (it's in storage) and use laundrymats.
danno2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:49 AM   #4
Plain Old Member

I wish we had it, but, location in the Silverback ate up the much needed closet space for full timing. Still debating installing one in our cargo trailer which is already finished out on the inside, for those places where we can have it next to the camper like we do now. None of this helps as a response to your question, but if we purchase one for the trailer, it will be a vented one.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:39 AM   #5

We have the vented stack washer and dryer, great thing to have. The load sizes are not that bad, for example, with a set of queen size sheets you could still add a few things.

'Pa Pa's Palace'

2014 Sportscoach Crosscountry 405FK
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
CSMRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:04 AM   #6

Thanks to everyone's comments we have decided on the combo vented washer/dryer. We also decided to have the factory do it. I visited a friend who has a Blue Ridge 5th wheel and they added the combo unit. It is in the closet and the hook ups are next to a dresser. The drawers face the side of the washer which means the dresser is unusable. Really not thought out well. So we opted for CC to add it so they will not put in the selves and butt the washer to the outside wall. no wasted space.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:44 AM   #7
Plain Old Member

My minds running again. I'm guessing on the CC, the water, drain and cut out mark for the vent are all on the same side of the closet? On the SB, the water and drain are on the ODS for a washer, and the vent cut out mark are on the door side for a dryer. If you walk in the closet, you'd turn left for the washer, and right for the dryer. One on each side of the closet on a shelf. No option to stack. Doesn't look like a combo unit would work in ours, even if we had the space, unless it was a ventless model. Unless I'm missing something. If it could be done, either my wife or myself would have to sacrifice some stuff in the closet, which probably won't happen. If I did decide to get a vented model, guess I could contact CC and see where a safe place to cut a hole is on the washer side.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:35 AM   #8

John, on the new 2014, they changed the closet. There are no longer drawers on the right outside of the closet. Now it is one big closet. On the right they have this little 2 drawer cabinet. But the drawers face the closet opening. The washer and dryer go on the left side. You do have enough room to stack them. We measured and asked. The closet comes with shelfs against the left side of the closet. So when they are building it, they will just omit the shelfs. But the hookups and vent are on the same side.
CC says the installation includes 65 amp service for the washer. It will have a circuit breaker right there. Not sure what that means. We asked but they said it is still a 50 amp rv. Do all washers get 65 amp service or this something they do when the factory installs it?
Old 04-01-2014, 07:46 AM   #9
Plain Old Member

OK. A little different than ours then. We have cabinets on both sides of the closet, 2 drawers each that open towards the center of the closet, then a shelf above each of those. Problem is, washer hook ups are on the left, dryer on the right (the washer sitting on top of that 2 drawer cabinet on the left, and the dryer to sit on the right 2 drawer cabinet). It's designed to have a separate washer and dryer, or a ventless washer / dryer combo on the left. It's ok, but to do a vented combo, I'd have to put it on the left side due to the water and drain hook ups, but no markings for a vent cut out. The vent cut out would be my problem.

Just to make sure my terminology is right, I refer to a combo as the 1 piece that does both, and a stack set as the separate washer and dryer. I'm referrin

I've never heard of 65 amp. Mine's wired for the washer and dryer, recepticle on each side of the closet. I believe they are on 15 or 20 amp breakers. Can't remember.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:50 AM   #10

We never heard about the 65 amp for washers and dryers either. We were concerned, it meant the rv was 65 amps, which would not work. So dealer called CC and they said the washer has its own breaker and is wired for 65 amp. Still don't understand.
But I am so glad we finally made the decision about the washer. Was driving me nuts!
Old 04-01-2014, 08:10 AM   #11
Plain Old Member

Hey as long as it works. I doubt we'll put one in ours, as wife has the wireless printer and other office stuff set up on the side I'd need to put it on. She's well aware of my thoughts, but she does most of the laundry (mainly because I'm gone to work 6 months a year), and will have the ultimate say so. Probably back to the drawing board and maybe put one in the cargo trailer.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:06 PM   #12
Papi

We have separates. You can do two things at a time. Gonna add up savings, convenience and clean appliances over our planned long trips. We have no regrets. When parked for several days or more we use a tripod for a bit of added stability.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Forest River Forums mobile app
now in same place.
Papicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:38 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

The Splendide uses 11 amps to operate so the 65 amp is a misprint. You need a 15 amp circuit breaker to run this safely. Wildcat Chris said on the Wildcat327ck the vent goes throught the floor of the closet and is marked on the underside.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:01 AM   #14

We got the separate Splendide washer and dryer and bought the stacking kit. I did all the work myself, including cutting a hole for the vent. That was the scary part! I measured about 30 times before I cut. Then, wouldn't you know it, there were 120 VAC wires right there. Fortunately, I only cut deep enough to remove the inner panel. There was enough slack in the wires that I could mover them to the side and continue cutting. Yes, we lost closet space, but we love the washer and dryer. So, I modified my closet to maximize hanging space. You can see it here: Cedar Creek RV Owners Club • View topic - Closet mod

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:22 AM   #15

I love how you added rods to hang more clothes. What a good idea. CC has removed the carousel. That was a waste of space.
As to the 65 amp service, whether you get the stackable or combo washer or the generator, it says the CC will be wired for 65 amp for those appliances. We also thought it was a misprint on the order form but were told it was not a misprint. I will update once we pick the unit up and we can see it for ourselves.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:03 PM   #16

Update- I tried out our Spendide washer/dryer combo. It works great. It took 45 minutes to wash and I set it for 40 minutes to dry. The clothes were dry and not wrinkled. It was also very quiet and didn't shake the CC36 ckts as much as I thought it would. I am happy we had the factory install it. They omitted the shelfs from the left side and put the drawers there. They moved the washer hookups back to the right side in the 2015.