Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2014, 07:08 AM   #1
edt

water filter removal

would like to remove filter housing in and out lines screw into housing looks like
one side will need to be cut and new fitting installed
edt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:00 AM   #2

Yes you can cut one side and adapt to (Shark Bite) fitting and a short piece of Pex tubing. Several ways to go,easy is (Shark Bite fitting and Pex! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:21 PM   #3
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by edt View Post
would like to remove filter housing in and out lines screw into housing looks like
one side will need to be cut and new fitting installed
Maybe not. If you cut the crimp in pex clamp you should be able to pry the pex off the fitting. The warmer the better. I am curious as to why you want to remove the housing on a 2015 unit? Warranty not a concern?
Old 09-30-2014, 02:13 PM   #4
edt

I basically have no warranty closest dealer 125 miles away, even transporters don't want to hall this monster to dealer .
$60 service call from mobile tec + $ 80 hour . I try to do most things going to leave filter full of antifreezes

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 09-30-2014, 02:19 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
Maybe not. If you cut the crimp in pex clamp you should be able to pry the pex off the fitting. The warmer the better. I am curious as to why you want to remove the housing on a 2015 unit? Warranty not a concern?
It's a park model.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:01 PM   #6
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
It's a park model.

Turbs
Yes it is. I read his profile too. However, it looks like the OP is almost there.

edt,
once you have run the pink stuff through the system, you can dump the filter housing as no water will get in. I left mine finger tight to keep debris/insects out and put food grade silicone grease on the o-ring to keep it soft. Leaving it full probably won't hurt.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:29 PM   #7
edt

I wanted to blow out water lines with filter in place you have take it open to dump water it is not a park model by some tech 12 volts and holding tank but no one wants to tow 42 feet trailer

Old 09-30-2014, 09:19 PM   #8
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by edt View Post
I wanted to blow out water lines with filter in place you have take it open to dump water it is not a park model by some tech 12 volts and holding tank but no one wants to tow 42 feet trailer

OK you lost me there...
Gathering the tiny clues leads me to believe that you are looking to use compressed air to blow out the lines for winterizing your unit. So here is my suggestion: remove the filter from the housing bottom and screw the empty bottom section back on. Drain & bypass your water heater. Open all valves one at a time with 50 lbs of air pressure at the hose bib. The amount of water in the line between the hose bib and the filter is minimal so it all should just go into the bowl for post blow out dumping.
I would not put a new filter in until after sanitizing in the spring. BTW, you still need to use antifreeze, just not as much.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:46 PM   #9

EDT, confused on why you'd want to remove the water filter? I know some threads have complained of the cost of the cartridges. As far as a hike to get to your dealer (though my trailer was only 22ft) I can understand. StarCraft would work with service companies to do warrantee work. I now have an fr from a dealer very close but I'm sure FR would do the same.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:28 PM   #10

Water filter

Removal or not, that is the question. My plan is to winterize with anti freeze and after completion use the filter anti freeze to pour into traps.
Re install empty housing. Cannot split if dry!
Cost of filters is over rated. I bought 3 replacement cartridges at FR Rally for $25.
I likely will use rv over winter for weekend now and then. As with our other rv, which was winterized, we use bottled water and just drain and re flush some anti freeze in the traps used and tank bottoms. 5 years, no
problems. Now, we do have a very nice heated bath house 40 yards away. We shower there. Little inconvenient but sure is nice to see a little snow, bundle up in the morning and enjoy a walk with coffee in hand.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 01:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
My dealer removed my water filter during warranty, I had to pay for them to do it, but it didn't void anything. In a Rockwood #8289 they couldn't have put it in a worst place. I use an external filter now.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 01:39 PM   #12

I was able to remove my filter housing and pull the plumbing together and reattach it to winterize. On each side of the filter house was a male-male threaded piece to attach the filter housing to the plumbing. I removed the filter housing and one of the male-male threaded piece and used the remaining male-male threaded piece to join the plumbing back together.

Eventually I opted to remove the filter housing permanently so I did as youroo suggested and used 2 shark bite fittings and a short piece of Pex tubing.
2012 (6 nights), 2013 (32 nights), 2014 (26 nights), 2015 (37 nights), 2016 (14 nights)
mTn_biKer65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:54 PM   #13
joeygman

Roller Shade adjustment for to slow going up

Does anyone know how to adjust tention to speed up on the up motion of roller blinds .
joeygman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeygman View Post
Does anyone know how to adjust tention to speed up on the up motion of roller blinds .
Welcome to the forum Joey G!

For your question to be properly seen, you need to post it as a new thread. This thread is about water filter removal.

Presuming you have a Cedar Creek RV, go here:
Cedar Creek - Forest River Forums
And click the New Thread button. Then ask your question again, providing as much info as you can, such as type of unit, etc. You'll get responses from folks who can help!

Cheers!
Danno
danno2u is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water filter