Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2014, 08:10 AM   #21
Site Team

Check the FAQs!
We have a FAQ section here at FRF.
There you will find a section on water heaters
and a photo montage on exactly how to RR the element.
And a tip on the cheapest place to buy a new element.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...d-r-50292.html

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ent-39334.html
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:17 AM   #22

Water heater not working.

Boatdude, there is a separate 'element' socket you would be wise to buy. Not vey expensive and you should be able to purchase one at the same place you buy the element. When I replaced mine last year it took quite a bit more force than I was anticipating even after spraying penetrating lubricant around the element and then leaving it a few hours before trying to extract it. When putting the new one in, remember to wrap the threads with some PTFE tape too. There is a gasket, but that should be with the new element.

The whole job isn't difficult just a little time consuming while you dismantle the gas burner pipe to access the element. Search You Tube for videos of how to replace the element. Here's one link for you to get started. http://youtu.be/wBwrOO1h_E0

Good luck

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
With a F350 dually
2014 26 nights and 3120km

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:48 AM   #23

That's exactly the kind of details I was looking for...big thanks to you and all the members that take time to help out.
ReTrax Pro Cover
BoatDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:52 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatDude View Post
We've been running it on gas this week. We go back today...so I will get a meter and troubleshoot next week when we return.

I was looking to see where the electric element is....I think it's accessible from the outside. There is a metal black cover at the lower area of the WH. I plan to order a new element and switch when I get home. Just in case. I hope it's an easy replacement. ...it looks difficult to access the back of the WH. And tips on replacing the element? Is there a gasket....etc?

The heater element is behind that black plastic cover. The cover is protecting you from the high voltage (120 VAC) terminals. You will likely need a water heater element wrench (about $6) as a normal socket that size will have too thick of sidewalls to get in there. Most likely, you'll also have to remove the gas/air mixing tube to get access to it, but that's pretty simple too.
As always, turn off all power, gas, and relieve water pressure first.
I also recommend draining the tank by removing the anode rod first. If you take out the element first, water will flow behind the sheet metal barrier and into your rig.
Should you have a damaged element, it may be warped and twisted and that will cause extra effort to bend the damaged element back into shape so it can be pulled back through the hole it was put in through. Again, no worries. It's damaged already. Some gentle forcing isn't doing further damage and the element is softer metal than the threaded hole.
Finally, the new element will come with a new gasket.
Total cost for the handy-man, including the new element wrench should be about $25 or less.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Lou and Paula

2014 Rockwood 8289WS UltraLite w/Revolution Pinbox Engaged.

2011 F250 Power Stroke Super Duty King Ranch Super Crew Cab w/Reese 16K Hitch
LouNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:59 PM   #25

Just like the anode rod. Wrap it with Teflon tape. Can buy a socket or tool to loosen/tighten.

I used a screwdriver and hammer to break old one loose. Worked on a lot equipment where hard to get a wrench on fitting.

Took maybe 15 minutes. 2 screws on the cover. 2 screws on the element(wire hook up). Take out the old and put in new.

Took a picture to know the right wire to screws on element. Nothing to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:38 AM   #26

A update on the water heater problem. During my inspection I removed the black thermastate cover. I found that one of the wires was loosely connected to the 110 thermastate terminal and had melted the insulation as the wire was shorting out against the metal frame. Luckily there was enough wire to simply re strip and install a new quick connector. The electric side of the water heater works fine now. I did purchase a new element. I guess I have a backup if that ever occurs. Big thanks to all the people that posted on this subject.
ReTrax Pro Cover
BoatDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:46 AM   #27

Good news and thanks for the update. I ought to check mine after traveling some rough sections of I90 in WA as it wouldn't have been difficult for them to have been rattled loose.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
With a F350 dually
2014 29nights and 3300km.......so far

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:07 PM   #28
jsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Going through elements is not normal.

Is your voltage too high? - Incorrect voltage can damage the element.

Is your water supply constant? Letting the water heater empty with the element on will burn it up.

Do you have acid well water? How is your anode?

I think I found problem. Faulty thermostat. It looked ok but voltage would vary. Replaced it and no problems since. Thanks for the suggestions.

Tags
heater, water, water heater