Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2017, 04:44 PM   #1

Water Leak

The bedroom carpet in our 38EL is soaked right in front of the closet after a hard rain. Can’t figure out for the life of me where it’s coming from?? Anyone ever had same issue? The carpet is absolutely soaked right in front of the washer/dryer, but inside closet is dry, walls are dry, everything else is dry??
Gr8Dane777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:37 PM   #2

I think I would be outside with a water hose and try to see where the water is coming in at.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:45 PM   #3

Same thing happened to me when I ran a load in the washer with the gray tank closed ans the drain overflowed. Could this be the case and it just happened to be raining?
tomherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I think I would be outside with a water hose and try to see where the water is coming in at.
Unfortunately as a lot of us have learned, the entry point for water can be totally away from where the water exits into our RVs.

We have had no water leaks in our Champagne at all. (Need a smilie for "Knock on Wood"!)
Freebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 12:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomherb View Post
Same thing happened to me when I ran a load in the washer with the gray tank closed ans the drain overflowed. Could this be the case and it just happened to be raining?

The riser in the closet is dry though. Was this the case for you? I️ did have the grey tank closed and it was full... but think the riser that the washer sits on would be wet too, right?? Let me know, I️ am wondering if that is the case now??

Thanks!
Old 11-18-2017, 06:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8Dane777 View Post
The riser in the closet is dry though. Was this the case for you? I️ did have the grey tank closed and it was full... but think the riser that the washer sits on would be wet too, right?? Let me know, I️ am wondering if that is the case now??

Thanks!

One way to tell if drain overflows is to tie a wash cloth around it , it will stay wet longer the just the pipe. Also check the boot in the washer for any tear’s
dgsearcy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:30 PM   #7

When this happened to me, I think the riser was somewhat wet but most of the water and dampness was down on the bedroom floor. It was all soaked up with towels over the next day. Water finds it way where ever it wants to. We even had some water dripping out from under where the pinbox connects to the frame so some water must have traveled across the closet floor. This happened over a year ago and there has been no issues noticed from this episode since then. We did put a yellow sticky note on the washing machine that says "Open gray tank valve before using washer." It is surprising how much water gets used to do a load of wash and it all goes through the gray tank.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:10 AM   #8

I️ believe I️ have found the source, I️ think the waterless trap is loose/cane undone. Going to look at it Wednesday, will update then. Anyone ever inspect/replace one?? Wondering if their is an “easier” way to gain access behind the panel where the trap sits?
Old 11-20-2017, 05:55 PM   #9

Before you try to take the panel off, look behind the bottom drawers in the "dresser". In my 34RL the waterless trap is behind one of these drawers and is easily accessible by removing the drawer. Hopefully, it is just loose and can be easily tightened. The vinyl/plastic "valve" in these things is pretty delicate and just keeps sewer fumes from coming out the drain pipe. That's why they say never to put a plumber's snake or other type of object down through it like you might with a regular p-trap.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomherb View Post
Before you try to take the panel off, look behind the bottom drawers in the "dresser". In my 34RL the waterless trap is behind one of these drawers and is easily accessible by removing the drawer. Hopefully, it is just loose and can be easily tightened. The vinyl/plastic "valve" in these things is pretty delicate and just keeps sewer fumes from coming out the drain pipe. That's why they say never to put a plumber's snake or other type of object down through it like you might with a regular p-trap.

Hope this helps.

I will take a look, thank you!!
Old 11-20-2017, 09:02 PM   #11

Found the source!! It was the waterless trap, wasn’t tightened all the way. Tough bugger to get tight, but got her and running a load now, will see how it goes, fingers crossed!! Thanks to tomherb, I️ was able to trace the pipe to find the access in under the bench. Thank you everyone for your help! Hopefully this helps someone in the future if having same issue!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	53292067233__30014196-88AF-406B-83F8-93F831F9F274.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	261.6 KB
ID:	156869   Click image for larger version

Name:	53292019704__752C6A97-FE72-4E58-A5DE-7CB0D9954A79.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	369.3 KB
ID:	156870  
Old 11-21-2017, 09:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8Dane777 View Post
Found the source!! It was the waterless trap, wasn’t tightened all the way. Tough bugger to get tight, but got her and running a load now, will see how it goes, fingers crossed!! Thanks to tomherb, I️ was able to trace the pipe to find the access in under the bench. Thank you everyone for your help! Hopefully this helps someone in the future if having same issue!

Glad you found your leak.

In my case, it was definitely from the roof. Water was dripping off the end of the closet sliding door track. So, I took a chance that I would see something and went up on the roof. Naturally, nothing about any of the seams/sealant looked like they weren't good. Then, I noticed that the Tv antenna coax "boot" had ridden up the cable loop exposing the opening for the cable through the roof. The rain was getting in, tracking over to a screw holding up the closet door track, running along the track and dripping off the end (this was on the opposite side of the RV from the antenna!). Once I resealed the boot to the antenna mount, the leak stopped.

Another leak I had was from the ducted A/C vent in the living quarters. Went up and found that just above that area was a vent for the roof/ceiling void (like an attic vent system). On one of the screws holding the vent flange to the roof, the Dicor sealant had "shrunk" away leaving the screw exposed. I resealed that screw and the whole flange in hopes that it was the source of the leak and once again I got lucky and the leak stopped.

That was 2 leaks and I was lucky. The next time (if & when) it happens, I don't know if my luck will hold out. The odds are not in my favor.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water, water leak