Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2016, 12:02 PM   #1

Water temp issue

Just wondering if this has/is happening to anyone else. When we turn any cold water tap on we get hot water for awhile before it goes cold. I do mean pretty hot. Perhaps some thermal transfer due to hot and cold being in proximity to one another? Any one else have this happen before I start digging into this further.
Doug Currie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:05 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Currie View Post
Just wondering if this has/is happening to anyone else. When we turn any cold water tap on we get hot water for awhile before it goes cold. I do mean pretty hot. Perhaps some thermal transfer due to hot and cold being in proximity to one another? Any one else have this happen before I start digging into this further.
Is it instantly hot water coming from the cold tap...or is it cold, then turns hot for a while, then turns cold again?

Also, does turning on the hot water taps rsult in hot water coming out of them?

The reason I ask, is we have had a recent instance of the lines being plumbed wrong.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:08 PM   #3

Seems to have short cold period than hot and back to cold. Not just from kitchen but also bathroom
Old 04-28-2016, 12:10 PM   #4

I think this is because your outside shower is turned on at the knobs and turned off at the head. Check it out by pushing the button on the head and if water sprays out, turn it off at the knobs.

The same thing can happen if you don't turn off the knobs on your inside shower and turn it off at the head.

Bruce
Old 04-28-2016, 12:12 PM   #5

I will have my wife check that right now. I'm not at teailer but she is so will let you know.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:13 PM   #6
Site Team

I am wondering if you can bet getting what usually works opposite of this, but maybe could still be the culprit. Do you have an outdoor shower? If so, can you make sure the valves are turned off and it's not just turned off with the button on the wand itself.

This happens to several campers, and it allows the hot and cold water to mix together...if the valves/taps are on but the wand is where it is shut off on the outdoor shower. What you normally see on this is when people try to use their hot water, it draws cold water into it. I guess it might could work backwards as in your case.

It might could do the same from the indoor shower too, but usually that wand drips so you know it's on.

Just something to easily check and make sure of.

EDIT: I see Nomad answered while I was typing.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
EDIT: I see Nomad answered while I was typing.
Don't you just hate when that happens?

Bruce
Old 04-28-2016, 12:21 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Don't you just hate when that happens?

Bruce
LOL

It happens a lot to me. I type too slow.

Actually, it doesn't bother me in the least, as long as a member finds the solution to their problem. It shows we are thinking the same thing could possibly be the problem.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
LOL

It happens a lot to me. I type too slow.

Actually, it doesn't bother me in the least, as long as a member finds the solution to their problem.
No, I believe it is because you are more articulate than I am.

Bruce
Old 04-28-2016, 01:16 PM   #10

Well that would have been to easy. Wife just checked and the shower valves are shut off.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:23 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Well that would have been to easy. Wife just checked and the shower valves are shut off.
OK, so much for easy.

Are you drawing water from your onboard tank, or a city supply connected with a water hose?

If a water hose, is this hose outside in the sunlight perhaps, that would heat up the water in the hose?

Also is this a new problem? Have you made certain the winterization crossover valve is fully closed?

Old 04-28-2016, 01:27 PM   #12

Drawing from the tank. No city water hose connected
Old 04-28-2016, 01:29 PM   #13
Site Team

Have you made sure the winterization crossover valve is fully closed?

Is this a new problem?

Old 04-28-2016, 01:32 PM   #14
Site Team

Copied post from our plumbing section which explains the winterization valves and crossover valve.

As spring time approaches, one of the most common asked questions that new travel trailer owners, as well as seasoned veterans who sometimes forget ask, is "why don't I have hot water"...or "why do I only have a little hot water before it turns cold?"

This occurrence is usually caused by the bypass/crossover valves being set incorrect for normal use. The bypass valves are closed during the winterization process, so that the water heater is bypassed and can be drained of any water that could freeze. The crossover valve (which connects the cold water line to the hot water line) is then opened which allows antifreeze to be placed into both the cold and hot water lines.

What happens during springtime, is that members who weren't shown this when they bought their RV, or just forget the proper dewinterization procedures, then will not have ANY hot water coming out of their hot water taps if the bypass valve is still closed (it will only be cold water from the crossover), or will have the cold water still mixing into the hot water line if the crossover valve is still incorrect....which results in only having a very short period of hot water coming from the tank until the cold water is drawn in from the crossover line, causing the water to turn cold quickly.

Many times these bypass/crossover valves are going to be located behind the water heater itself. You may have to remove a false panel, cabinet drawer, etc etc to gain access to these valves. You may have only one, or two, but possibly three valves to adjust for normal usage.

Once you do gain access, you want to make sure that the cold water inlet line valve (if equipped) is open going in to the water heater. The hot water outlet valve (if equipped) is open coming out of the water heater....but most importantly, the crossover valve is fully CLOSED between the cold water line and hot water line.

Since the crossover valve and the lines it's on are usually running vertical, as opposed to the hot and cold water lines going to the water heater which are horizontal....it's real easy to mistake the position of the crossover valve. You may think you closed it but it's actually open. The handle must run perpendicular to the line, for it to be closed.

Here is a schematic that may help:

Old 04-28-2016, 01:32 PM   #15

I will double check that when I get back. I was thinking perhaps the valve is leaking through. It's a new trailer.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:36 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
I will double check that when I get back. I was thinking perhaps the valve is leaking through. It's a new trailer.
It could be. You could also have a backflow valve somewhere messed up.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:03 AM   #17

Well checked out all valve positions and everything is good. Next step I think will be to cut out the bypass valve and replace.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:26 AM   #18
Snowsail

I had this problem today and the first thing I checked is my cross over valve. You can do this by closing your bypass valves, opening the hot water faucet and slowly open the crossover valve. When you get cold water close the crossover valve, the water should stop flowing from the faucet.Then you know your crossover valve is good, so your next move is to reopen your bypass valves, go outside and reset the hot water tank by pressing the two black rubber buttons marked reset and wait an hour. your water will become VERY hot. Well that's how I solved my lack of hot water. Hope it works for you.

Tags
water