Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2016, 11:22 AM   #1

Wax/UV protection product

Just doing a bit of research as to the best way to prolong the exterior finish from harmful UV rays. Is there a good wax or other product that has high UV protection for our decals and gel coats. Been using Aerospace 303. Any better Suggestions?
Doug Currie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:58 PM   #2

You are using a very good product. I use Nu Finish 2x a year and it works well. "Wax on/Wax off" . Very easy to use.
Nu Finish is at Walmart or any auto parts store.

TODAY, I just bought a can of spray wax for $30, designed to be a dry wash polish. Will post after I read the can. I bought it for our 2 motorcycles; one of which will be the test as I make her coat shine for the next owner 😁. Pretty confident it will be great for gel coat; full body paint or clear coat.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 01:29 AM   #3

I thought about trying this Marine 31 Gel Coat Spray Wax Plus, marine spray wax, boat spray wax
Old 05-06-2016, 02:52 AM   #4

UV

A good cover will help against UV rays and help make whichever wax you choose last longer in between outings.
Trevor43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 05:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverbackMel View Post
You are using a very good product. I use Nu Finish 2x a year and it works well. "Wax on/Wax off" . Very easy to use.
Nu Finish is at Walmart or any auto parts store.

TODAY, I just bought a can of spray wax for $30, designed to be a dry wash polish. Will post after I read the can. I bought it for our 2 motorcycles; one of which will be the test as I make her coat shine for the next owner 😁. Pretty confident it will be great for gel coat; full body paint or clear coat.
X's 2 on this,and in betweenn washes I wipe down with either Ice, I think it's made by Turtle wax, or Lucas spay on. It's a blue bottle also has great UV protection, and also it will take the water spots off. Found that Ice works well on windows to....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:46 AM   #6

I saw this product last year at the F.R.O.G. RALLY in Elkhart IN. The product was applied to a Columbus 5er and the 5er really pop with a shine. The product is called Wash Wax All and is waterless. You just spray on and wipe off, I bought the kit and I can clean my most of the 5er from the ground. I need to use a ladder to clean the top of the cap only.
I used this on both my 5er and my truck last fall and the truck still beads up when wet. My Cedar Creek has not exhibit any front cap fading do to the use of Wash Wax All. So I am happy with the product.
See attached link.Aircraft RV Cleaner Waterless Wash Wax Detailing Products Supplies
Old 05-12-2016, 01:16 PM   #7

Well my Waterless Wash Wax arrived today. I'll give it a try.
Doug Currie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:47 PM   #8
Site Team

I use Maguiers NXT . It is a polymer and bonds to the finish. It lasts all season and bugs wash off easily. The nice part is you can apply it today and take it off in a day or two and it wipes off like dust. Seems to protect the decals well.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:17 PM   #9

Wax for gel coat

This is my choice: Meguiar's M6332 Flagship Premium Marine Wax - 32 oz.
It is easy on and off. Pleasant smell. In between waxing I use Meguiar's Spray and Shine. (shop around for best price - I told a neighbor about it and he loves it but paid about twice what I did.)

Old 05-12-2016, 02:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalohunter View Post
This is my choice: Meguiar's M6332 Flagship Premium Marine Wax - 32 oz.
It is easy on and off. Pleasant smell. In between waxing I use Meguiar's Spray and Shine. (shop around for best price - I told a neighbor about it and he loves it but paid about twice what I did.)

X2...this is what I use...the Forrest River fiberglass expert recommended this at the 2015 rally...I am quite ignorant in this area so I just did what he suggested...it seems to work so far...for 8 months anyway...time will tell I guess.
birdman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:25 PM   #11

If you got the cash you should have Maxxim coating applied and not have to wax for 7 years and is guaranteed to keep the finish as shiney as the day you bought it and so far the bugs just come off with a spray down with water and yes that includes love bugs as I am in Florida.
hughd033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:13 PM   #12

Where do u get Maxxim? Googled it-- no results. Is this something that's professionally done?
Skisandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:04 PM   #13

Just found the best wax for deoxidation. Called--simoniz royals marine. Its a boat wax, found it in a budget store for $1.99. Just used it on my 2013 gray silverback front cap now looks brand new. A little goes a long way, but I bought 2 cans.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:18 PM   #14

To Skisandy I appologize it is Maxxgard and is done professionally. I have it about 7 months now and the rv looks as shiney as the day I bought it and the bugs and other garbage come off with very little effort and the water streaks you normally get don't happen either. By the way it isn't cheap but for 7 year warranty against your or someone else's time to wax the rv for 7 years well worth it.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:49 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughd033 View Post
To Skisandy I appologize it is Maxxgard and is done professionally. I have it about 7 months now and the rv looks as shiney as the day I bought it and the bugs and other garbage come off with very little effort and the water streaks you normally get don't happen either. By the way it isn't cheap but for 7 year warranty against your or someone else's time to wax the rv for 7 years well worth it.

I looked at the reviews on this product and the reviews were not good, it seems like it's just more money in the dealers pocket

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 02:20 PM   #16

Reply on Maxxgard

If you look out there you will see a lot on both sides of the topic just like buying a Forest River product. It is always up to you on how you want to go and what something is worth to you. Good luck.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:02 PM   #17

That's so true, you buy what you like

Old 05-14-2016, 05:14 PM   #18

I've had good luck with Turtle Wax Ice liquid. It goes on very easy and more important, comes off very easy. I just did the entire rig a couple weeks ago. I had to go to the dealer (200 mile round trip) last week and murdered several hundred bugs on the front cap coming and going. As soon as I got home I got out the car wash bucket and my long reach brush, the bugs came right off. I tried Meguiar's marine/rv cleaner wax (blue bottle) last fall. It goes on fairly easily but was a major PITA to get off.

2015 Forester 2301 - Chevy
Skip & Deb
Forester Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:37 PM   #19

I'm not doing much to the cap, it looks really bad, it's fading. Cedar Creek is going to replace it. I washed camper today and truck, I'll wax both next week

Tags
wax