Old 11-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #11
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
The app is great, but it's missing a few things that the web site offers. I use it almost exclusively when I'm on my phone or iPad.

Flying dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:44 AM   #12
Originally Posted by pengle View Post
I had the same problem earlier this Fall and found the answer at Lippert's website.

• All LCI 12VDC electrically operated slideout and hydraulic pump unit motors are designed to work off of the coach’s battery system.
• All LCI 12VDC motors require DC or Direct Current to operate properly.
• Batteries must be fully charged and indicate at least 12VDC minimum under load for proper operation of all LCI 12VDC motors.
• The AC converter is a charger that “converts” AC or Alternating Current into a DC charge to keep the coach’s battery system fully charged.
• Utilizing the coach’s AC converter to operate the slideout or hydraulic motors will spike the amperage and potentially cause motor malfunction.
• Normal operating amperage is between 20A-25A and can spike to over 50A in low voltage conditions.
• Chassis ground wire connections must be made as a metal-to-metal contact between the chassis and the toothside of the star washer. Paint or other undercoating between the star washer and the frame may result in a poor ground connection.

So, check your battery voltage. Your battery runs the hydraulic motor for the slides. Your converter charges the battery back up.
I don't completely understand the explanation from Lippert in RED

Could this still occur (with the batteries removed) if you are plugged into shore power with rock solid steady voltage?

Or is Lippert referring to potential damage from unreliable shore power with low voltage dips?

I don't know anything about AC converters... but with reliable consistent AC voltage can the converter still output low DC voltage causing a spike in amps to the motors?

2014 CC 34RLSA
2013 RAM 3500 Laramie CC SB 4x4 CTD
sidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:29 PM   #13
Your converter CAN move your slides - I've done it. BUT what you experienced is exactly what I experienced when I removed my battery for the winter and then went to operate my slides. They go very slowly. Sometimes they stop. Then you hear this clicking noise like a car starter solenoid. That's bad for the motor. But the battery back in and all is well.

Lippert is pretty must have your battery installed to operate your slides. Don't try to operate it on shore power or you risk ruining the motor.

Here are some links to GREAT information on our electrical system.

RV Operations -The Basics

Basic RV Electricity - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

More On Basic RV Electricity - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

RV Converters and Amp Draw - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

Pat & Karen
Seattle, WA
2012 CC Silverback 29RE
2013 Ford F250 Lariat, Crew Cab, Short Bed, Diesel, 4WD

Retired and trying to travel where it's warm.
pengle is offline   Reply With Quote