Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2016, 10:26 PM   #1

Weight Distribution

Looking at purchasing a CC Champange 38EL, was curious about how all the heavy stuff is on one side of the 5th wheel and when you go to the scales to get the gvaw does it matter that 70% (guess) of the weight is on one side? Do I need to get better tires or suspension for that one side? Thanks
Bob n Jo Nealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 07:36 AM   #2

2017 38el

We've taken a long trip in ours with no issues. We use a TPMS and haven't seen any issues with temperature or tire pressure differences between curb or street side.
This spring we're going to take it through a CatScale to check our weights, though we're very careful about loading the trailer. Our previous trailer had 2000# CCV and we never got remotely close and we're 800# under the GVW at CatScale.
karpcbk15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 07:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob n Jo Nealer View Post
Looking at purchasing a CC Champange 38EL, was curious about how all the heavy stuff is on one side of the 5th wheel and when you go to the scales to get the gvaw does it matter that 70% (guess) of the weight is on one side? Do I need to get better tires or suspension for that one side? Thanks
The answer about changing the suspension on one side is "NO " unless you are "NASCAR " and need to add a rubber in the right front because of handling issue! Youroo! !
Old 12-08-2016, 09:21 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob n Jo Nealer View Post
Hey Bob and Jo.
My rockwood fiver has all appliances on the street side also. Frig, microwave. Stove, television, fireplace, shower, lavatory, wardrobe slide and living room slide with heavy 6' corian countertop. Also furnace, water heater and pump.
The only this I've noticed is that it sits about 1" lower on that side. On level ground the front landing gear has to be set so it accommodates the sag and a 3/4" plywood pad under streetside tires to keep it level.
I did have my only blowout on this unit on street side rear. Not sure if excess weight was an issue but I upgraded all tires to LRE.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight