Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2013, 11:57 PM   #1
Plain Old Member

We're Back

Some of you may remember about 4 months back we were ordering a SOB fifth wheel to go full timing. Well, we did order the SOB and it came in 8 weeks later. During first PDI, I found 14 items in less than half an hour, one of which was a delaminated spot on the rear cap. Against my gut feeling, I gave the dealer a chance to make it right. First cap came in damaged so that delayed even more. After several phone calls and emails back and forth over 2 months, I gave them a date and time for the unit to be complete, sitting on the pad ready to hook up or it was theirs to keep. I showed up an hour early and waited. I stood their looking at my watch as they frantically tried to get it cleaned up at the last minute. At 10 minutes after the agreed time, I told them to not worry about bringing it out. The lady begged me to at least look at it, so to satisfy that and my own curiosity, I did. I went through it, found a few problems untouched and told them to keep it. They were pretty angry to say the least as I walked away with a $50k check in hand.
So, my wife and I headed out not knowing what to do next. We're living out of boxes in a temporary house owned by my family. On the way home, we decided to stop by a dealer we had bought from several years ago just to see if they might have a 2014 Silverback on the lot. I told my wife if they have a 2014 Silverback 35QBA on the lot, it's a sign from above. Well, just so happens they had special ordered one for somebody and it came in with the lower bunk instead of couch in the bunkhouse and a couch instead of theater seats in the living room. They had turned that one down and reordered again. Just so happens we wanted it just like it sat. The only thing we didn't like is it had no carpet in the bunk room, but that wasn't a deal breaker. I could only find a few minor things that needed attention so I made an offer and bought it. The holidays put the brakes on getting it right then and their (December 23rd), but we should be able to make the trip to get it sometime in the next week or 2. They are outfitting it with the 4 step entry steps and a Tri-Glide pin box at my request right now.
So, we are still a member of the Forest River Family, and proud of it. My gut feeling is good now. I really hope the Silverback will fit our needs for living. Funny how we ended up back where we started, looking at the CC 36B4 and Silverback 35QB4. Though I've already asked several questions in the past on this unit, I'm sure I'll be picking some brains a little more. We're not new to hydraulic leveling, but new to the level up system. Yall as the Cedar Creek owners know these specific units well so hopefully you can help me out on a few things here and there.
On a side note, we had not been camping in 4 months since we sold the motorhome and were having major withdrawals, so this last weekend, we loaded up a mildly converted 7x16 cargo trailer and went camping. There are a few photos of this set up in my photo album. It was fun, but made me anxious for the fifth wheel. Reminded me of our popup camper adventures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2200.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	44331  
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:08 AM   #2
Always Learning

Welcome back! I am curious what "SOB" is? I know in some circles it's son of a doggie- but I'm thinking you mean something different here.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Welcome back! I am curious what "SOB" is? I know in some circles it's son of a doggie- but I'm thinking you mean something different here.
SOB = some other brand
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:14 AM   #4
Always Learning

Thanks.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:45 PM   #5

Welcome back! Congrats on the silver back, non SOB camper! (take that anyway you want )

Sent by me
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:00 PM   #6
Director, FROG

Glad to have you staying in the family. Safe travels and great adventures!

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:30 PM   #7

Congrats on the new Silver Back!
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:08 AM   #8
jlf

Welcome back! We have had different SOB's. Now have a 2014 Silverback 33 rl. And even though we have had some minor issues, will only look at Forest River products. Obtw. the dealer you had problems with doesn't happen to be in Tampa Florida?
jlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:54 AM   #9
Plain Old Member

Thanks for all the replies. I can handle minor issues which is to be expected. As long as they don't drift into the major category, which after watching peoples comments on CC / SB over the last year, I don't expect we'll have any. As for the dealer, its in south Louisiana, so no worries there if you're in Florida.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:55 PM   #10
Plain Old Member

Alright, first 2 questions and I haven't even picked it up yet. These are mainly directed at the 35QBA owners, but other units may be similar,
1) where is the back flow preventer / vacuum break for the front black flush line? On one previous fifth wheel it was in the wall behind the TV, which sucked when it started to leak. I just want to find it and move it to a better place if need be, or do like i did on the other one and do away with it, install a vacuum break at the inlet and use a designated hose.
2) does the rear black tank have a black flush as well? If not I reckon I'll install one.