Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2014, 09:58 PM   #1

West Lake Tires

Just curios to see if someone can answer a question about my new tires on my 2015 Cedar Creek. I ordered the 7000 lb axles with the 8 lug wheels and assumed (yeah I know what assumed means) I would get the G Goodyear LT tires. I looked at the tires about the time we were pulling off the dealer lot and saw they were West Lake tires made in China. I know their is a lot of discussion about the China Tires but I am not really sure what to think. The tires are 14 ply G rated as the Goodyear 614 tires were so just going by ratings I guess they should be the same.
We were in the general area of the Cedar Creek factory after picking up the Coach so stooped by for the tour. We ran into one of the factory reps and I asked what was up with the China tires on my 7000 lb axles. Her response was the Goodyear G tires have been d rated from 3750 per tire to 3480 per tire and for liability reasons they would not put them on a 7000 lb Axle any more. 3480 + 3480 = 6960. The West Lake tires were rated at around 4200 each so no problem on 7000 lb Axle.
I still see the Goodyear 614 LT tires being offered on the Cedar Creek web site and also other sites. My question is can anyone confirm what the Rep told me was correct or was I just lucky to get the China Tires??
rvgwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:17 PM   #2

There will be plenty of comments coming at cha! Most tires are made outside of US. If you feel uncomfortable with what you have, and cannot swap for whatever reason, then use them for 2 years and replace them. Do your homework and buy yourself a tire pressure monitoring system AND USE IT!
Make sure your pressure is correct before going on a trip. Once set, a monitoring system will keep you from breaking your knees and back by showing stats.
Everyone has a tire quality and preference position. Once load capacity and sidewall strength are confirmed, meets your rig requirements, good to go!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 12:28 AM   #3

I am more curious as to why Goodyear would lower the rating on the tire? You don't hear of problems with this series. That could cost them a lot of business. The Goodyear web site still lists them as G rated and 3750 lbs each. Wonder if maybe the only thing that got lowered was what the cost was for CC to buy tires!
wanderer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:07 AM   #4
edt

G614 Goodyear is the only thing holding up on heavy trailers 2 friends have had several blowout's with even the Good year Marathons made in China insurance company's are getting tired of expensive trailer repair from blowouts
edt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:46 AM   #5

Prudent folks with 7K axles are changing to 17.5 inch tires and wheels. True trailer tires with over 4000 pounds capacity each makes them the better solution.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:55 AM   #6

FWIW: I don't like the China tires nor the fact that they are allowed to be imported or the lowered specs required on ST tires. However, I have heard good things about the Westlake G rated tires. I would just keep an eye on them and boogie on down the road.

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 12:51 PM   #7

Thanks for the reply's.
I just got a response from Goodyear and it appears the G614LT is still at 3750 lbs. Not sure what is going on but I know what I was told by the factory rep and the factory mgr.
I guess I will just settle for the old (miss communication thing) and hope that Cedar Creek wasn't just trying to cheap out on my tires.
Thanks everyone.......
rvgwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 01:25 PM   #8

Well here's an article that will not make you feel any better about West Lake Tires.

4 Tire Companies to Avoid - CarsDirect
Old 11-20-2014, 03:55 PM   #9

Whoa! That's a pretty damning article for WesLake tires. I'm glad my 2013 CC has G614LTs. I run them at 110 psi and have no problems at all with them yet - 15,000 or so miles. I use the TST monitoring system on them and keep a close eye on the temps. I also hold my hand against them every time I stop and check the treads frequently. The treads are beginning to show some wear, but should be good for at least another season - maybe more. When the time comes, assuming they continue to give me good service, I will replace them with the same tire (unless GY starts having them made in China).
2013 Chevy 3500HD, D/A, DRW, 4X4
WeRCreekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac28 View Post
Well here's an article that will not make you feel any better about West Lake Tires.

4 Tire Companies to Avoid - CarsDirect
rvgwen should forward this link to Cedar Creek along with a not so thank you note!
wanderer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:03 PM   #11

The first paragraph pretty clearly indicates car and truck tires. It says nothing about ST tires. While i am one that never suggests ST tires people really need to difierenciate between types when they start posting
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:22 PM   #12
edt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvgwen View Post
Thanks for the reply's.
I just got a response from Goodyear and it appears the G614LT is still at 3750 lbs. Not sure what is going on but I know what I was told by the factory rep and the factory mgr.
I guess I will just settle for the old (miss communication thing) and hope that Cedar Creek wasn't just trying to cheap out on my tires.
Thanks everyone.......
I think that is wish full thinking dollar comes first and then it is your problem.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:29 PM   #13

Tire conversation

And the wheel turns! LT vs ST! Foreign quality vs domestic?
Minimum requirements for RV manufacturers vs cost of quality!
And on and on. Let's face it, the manufacturer installs what it feels meets requirements and that's all. Period. On my 2015, I will upgrade after 24 to 30 months tops. I welcome all of the comments and debate as a HUGE TOOL to help me make a more informed decision. Very few major traffic accidents involving an RV happen because of a cheap, lumpy mattress, poor fabric on a piece of furniture, bad refer, etc..... Tires ARE IMPORTANT.
Some comment on how good our tire replacement decisions have been. Seems like Maxxis; Goodyear and Michelin seem to get the best reviews. My opinion so far is these all seem similar for good tread wear and few separation issues.
Keep it coming so I can get down to 2 choices of equal solid quality! 😜
Old 11-20-2014, 08:50 PM   #14
edt

I don't think Michelin make a 14ply 16" tire
Old 11-20-2014, 09:09 PM   #15

My 5er triple axle came with West Lake tires also. I haven't heard anything bad about them yet. I have others but not the ST tires. They say 80# cold so I keep 80#s in them. I check the pressure before going anywhere and I'm not a speed demond 60 to 65 mph. Hope they hold up for me and I'll keep an eye out for a sign of failure and report if I have one to you all. Almost 4 months on them now and they look fine still after about 10 trips camping. If any of you have had a failure with West Lake ST tire please fill us in.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:27 PM   #16

The BAD NEWS is tread separation is from inside out and not visible via inspection. In Feb of this yr we had that issue and a major blowout on the Florida Turnpike. Damage: $3,300. Time it took: 3 minutes.
Repair time: 5 weeks. Experience: sucked!
Result: purchased tire monitoring system.
Only replaced one tire as our 2015 Silverback was built and shipped. The tire came off a mid year production fifth wheel in 2011. Was towed about 18,000 miles and pressure checked daily. Just say'n. And yes, comparable weight unit and same size tires. Stuff happens as we roll along!! Mostly good!
Be mindful and careful out there! Safe travels.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverbackMel View Post
The BAD NEWS is tread separation is from inside out and not visible via inspection. In Feb of this yr we had that issue and a major blowout on the Florida Turnpike. Damage: $3,300. Time it took: 3 minutes.
Repair time: 5 weeks. Experience: sucked!
Result: purchased tire monitoring system.
Only replaced one tire as our 2015 Silverback was built and shipped. The tire came off a mid year production fifth wheel in 2011. Was towed about 18,000 miles and pressure checked daily. Just say'n. And yes, comparable weight unit and same size tires. Stuff happens as we roll along!! Mostly good!
Be mindful and careful out there! Safe travels.
Was your failure a West Lake ST tire?
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:11 PM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud yapster View Post
My 5er triple axle came with West Lake tires also. I haven't heard anything bad about them yet. I have others but not the ST tires. They say 80# cold so I keep 80#s in them. I check the pressure before going anywhere and I'm not a speed demond 60 to 65 mph. Hope they hold up for me and I'll keep an eye out for a sign of failure and report if I have one to you all. Almost 4 months on them now and they look fine still after about 10 trips camping. If any of you have had a failure with West Lake ST tire please fill us in.
My 2013 has Westlake Tires. I keep them at 80psi cold and have a TPMS. I have pulled it from SC to IN and back, to AL and back, south FL, and lots of places in between. I am going to replace them, very soon. I can't complain, they have served me well. No issues at all.
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:55 PM   #19

My 2013 has Westlakes and they have performed very well. I keep them at 80psi and check for heat buildup when traveling. I keep them covered and on plastic leveling blcks when stored. Coming up on two years in Feb. Should I be considering getting new tires, just due to age, when they seem to be n great shape?
Airlift system/on board compressor

speedcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:30 PM   #20

Tire failure

My tire failure was NOT Westlake. These China companies have many brands manufactured under different names just as US tire companies do. My new unit is winter stored in the mountains of GA and I cannot recall the brand other than they are clearly NOT US made.😞
I would like it better if they said Goodyear 😃

Tags
tire, tires