Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2017, 01:37 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiphil View Post
I guess the Cedar Creek shares some similarities with the DRV. If you are comparing full body paint models, I assume you are looking at a $30k difference in price between the two. I'd personally pick the CC as I don't know that the DRV today is necessarily the same level of quality from 5-10 years ago.

Nothing personally against the Ram, but I test drove two with the 68RFE transmission and they both shifted like crap compared to my 15 Duramax and now 17 Powerstroke. Maybe the Aisin is that much better, but I recommend you drive the big three and make up your own mind. DRW all the way.

Good luck!

Thanks. Definitely interested in the dodge as I have a nice ram 1500 now. I’ve never cared for Ford at all but would consider a GMC. The only diesel I’ve owned was a 2013 Passat! And we all know what happened with that. But hey, we hit 55mpg on the highway with that car.

We’ve looked at DRV and I like their front living room model. My cousin has a nice CC with front living room. No matter what we are a minimum of 5 years away from this, I’m asking questions now because I don’t like surprises.
Topper Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 01:43 PM   #22

Look for a close out truck now. I bought our 2013 Silverado 3500 DWD for $50,000 in Sept. of 2013
Old 11-28-2017, 01:49 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topper Harley View Post
Thanks. Definitely interested in the dodge as I have a nice ram 1500 now. I’ve never cared for Ford at all but would consider a GMC. The only diesel I’ve owned was a 2013 Passat! And we all know what happened with that. But hey, we hit 55mpg on the highway with that car.

We’ve looked at DRV and I like their front living room model. My cousin has a nice CC with front living room. No matter what we are a minimum of 5 years away from this, I’m asking questions now because I don’t like surprises.
If you will be RVing in warmer areas, keep in mind the front living units tend to stay a bit warmer in the living area. So you will be working the AC system a little harder to maintain the proper temp vs a rear living. Also check out the rear dens - same floorplan as the front living but without the heat issue and without the extra slideout near the front of your patio area and better basement storage.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:05 PM   #24

A new dually, top of the line will cost more than $60k in say 5 years.

There are so many choices for fivers, and buying new expect problems at any price. So unless buying a used unit, dealer support and factory support can be very important. And while floorplan is important, all brands will offer pretty similar plans, so don't get hung up on minor differences and get a unit that has poor support after the sale.
larrytbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 03:46 PM   #25

I have been towing a 2016, 34RL Cedar Creek Hathaway edition for three years now, purchased this in May of 2015. We love the trailer and it could be used for full time living as is. We have seen several full timers with Cedar Creeks Hathaway's usually the 38CK2 models. These are fine trailers for full time living in them.

I have towed my trailer for over 15,000 miles with my 2500, 2008 Dodge Mega Cab 6.7L, 68RFE auto, 3:73, 4X4 truck. My tires are Nitto Dura Grapplers LT285/70R/17 126R rated for 3750LBS @ 80PSI.

If I was to replace my truck I would replace this with a 3500 SRW,but my truck is just broken in now with only 112,000 miles on the OD good for another 100K or so.

Any of the first three models of the Cedar Creeks Hathaway editions could be towed with any Ram 3500, SRW 6.7L with the Aisin transmission with 18" tires . These trucks are rated to tow a maximum trailer weight of 16,800 LBS to 17,700 LBS depending on the model of truck. These trucks are all compliant to SAE J2807 Towing requirements.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:14 PM   #26
jkoenig24

Do yourself a HUGE favor and read the HDT Forum; LOTS of good information there. If at ALL possible, attend an HDT Rally. The educational seminars are a WEALTH of information.

The Heavy Haulers Resource Guide & HDT Rally Site - HDT - Escapees Discussion Forum

HDT - Escapees Discussion Forum
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 05:19 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
Cedar Creek is nice, but Mobile Suites are much better suited for full time living. Both would require a diesel dually to tow. The very smallest Cedar Creeks might be able to squeeze by with a single rear wheel 1 ton, but not worth trying. Duallys are so much more stable for heavy loads, and required to be within payload ratings for all the hitch weight of the units being considered.
X2 on dually
mbbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 05:22 PM   #28

Send a message via Skype™ to stillontheroad
To pull a large 5r you will want a full ton truck. A single axle 4X4 will work but for comfort and ease of towing (less sway and better cornering a dully for sure.)
Be sure to get a long box Crew Cab. Extra storage room and never any danger of "punching the cab" in tight turns cost" With the 5r in mind, Mobile Suites is top of the line and they last and last. With that in mind you can save a lot of that "first couple of years depreciation" by finding a very clean use unit 1 to 3 years old. In our most recent purchase (a Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite) we found one 2 years old for less than 1/2 the price new. We have spent more than 30 months camping in it over the last 5 years and only had one flat tire (in a campground) in all that time. Just sayin... Good luck on your decision
stillontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 05:30 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytbm View Post
A new dually, top of the line will cost more than $60k in say 5 years.

There are so many choices for fivers, and buying new expect problems at any price. So unless buying a used unit, dealer support and factory support can be very important. And while floorplan is important, all brands will offer pretty similar plans, so don't get hung up on minor differences and get a unit that has poor support after the sale.

Thanks Larry. Fortunately we don’t need all the bells and whistles. I’m not going to buy a larimee every extra doo dad subtracts from towing capacity.

I guess I should not have said what my plans are. I’m interested in learning what other owners wish they knew before they bought their truck and fifth wheel.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:35 PM   #30
Multi-Slacker

I know nothing about 5ers or HD trucks. I just want to mention that, in some states, depending on the weights involved, you may have to get a Class A (non-commercial) license. Here in Ca a pull trailer over 10,000 GVW or a 5er over 15,000 lbs. require the upgraded license. Just sayin'
Old 11-28-2017, 06:08 PM   #31

I'm no help on a 5ver.

However, I've had fun tripping over my feet square dancing and would be happy to do it again.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:17 PM   #32

Ask 100 owners; get 200 variations [emoji23]. I could not agree more on BIG TRUCK. Now, having said that, 2nd 5er; around 14,500 pounds, x country, RAM 2500; 6.7 turbo; factory exhaust brake. Single axle. Added helper spring; std hitch.
Tows great! Perfectly level. Stops on a "quarter" [emoji16]; have to accelerate on 7% downgrade when using exhaust brake.
We DO NOT have a front washer / dryer. We travel with 1/4 wet tanks and stop nightly. Have std rv refer.
Love this thing!! 2015 Silverback 33rl.
I travel at 62mph w speed control.
Hardly ever at 70+; only if situational. Very relaxing ride; 350 max mikes a day. Retired. No rush to get anywhere at anytime [emoji15].
We did consider a FL unit but meant 350 dually. We enjoy other things like cruises; travel without the rv. Recently returned from Banff. Heading to Germany next week for Christmas. Silverback sits in a beautiful resort on a concrete pad in N GA mountains waiting for our occasional visit.
Look, buy; enjoy!!
Happy holidays to all!!
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:07 PM   #33

Definitely a dually for a large 5er. I would suggest that any of the big three are a safe bet. There are lemons from every manufacturer so go with whatever you feel at home with.

As for a brand of 5er. Cedar Creek are very good but Forest River also manufacture a brand called Riverstone. I have looked at a couple of these in the flesh and the build quality is far superior to anything else I have ever looked at. For a full size 5er at less that $100k US they appear to be excellent value with some great floor plans. Personally, I would have the 39FK but that is purely my preference. Others on this forum would have their own opinions and I respect that.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:10 PM   #34

Quote:

Ford has nearly half the truck market. Chevy/GMC together come close. Ram has less than 9% even though the lowest priced.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:23 PM   #35

We started out determined to buy a Mobile Suites. After 6 months of comparison, I could not find the $40K difference between the DRV and the CC. To us the DRV had dated design and did not match the latest updates from CC.

1. Spend less and buy a CC
2. Take the savings by purchasing a CC and invest in a great tow vehicle. Stay with a dually, I have had 4 dually’s and 1 single wheel 1 ton and the single wheel never felt stable.
3. Unless you boon dock buy a residential refrigerator. During the summer you don’t have to worry about not cooling especially if you are in the south.
4. Hitches, buy the latest new truck with the built in hockey puck in the bed. You will feel like the trailer is bolted to the truck with this configuration.
5. Go with a full body paint. Something I truly missed doing and regret now
ttanous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:45 PM   #36

Quote:
Greetings,

I’m looking for help from some seasoned veterans of the 5th wheel community. Mainly what my title says, but before we get into that let me give you a brief overview of my camping heritage and experience.

I’m 58, and I’ve been a tenter up until last year when my wife and I purchased a 37’ travel trailer which we love. My wife on a 1-10 scale has camping experience of 3. 3 being not much and it’s all new to her. Myself on the other hand am an 8. A lot of that self assessment is from my experience as the son of Campground owners. So I’ve spent many a summer doing all the things (except the bookkeeping and payroll) that keeps a nice campground running smoothly. However, the only towing I’ve ever done was moving trailers with our old ford tractor and towing my trailer last season. I’m fairly well experienced mechanically and with plumbing and electrical but my carpentry skills are definitely second rate.

In about 5 years we are planning on retirement and the possibility of full time snowbird fifth wheeling around the country.

1st question: Vehicle, go for the biggest most badass towing vehicle? I’m guessing our tow vehicle budget will be somewhere in the $60k range.

2. Hitches: I’ve read a few discussions on different opinions on the type of hitch to buy, but I have zero experience with 5th wheel hitches. What do you wish someone had told you before you got your first hitch setup?

3. We are looking at Cedar Creek and Mobile Suite for a 5th wheel choice. Budget will be about $125k. We definitely want the most bang for the buck. Going back to the hitch/tow vehicle question, what do you wish you knew before you signed on the contract?

4. My wife and I have been ballroom dancing for about 6 years now. I had 3 left feet, but now feel that if I can do it anyone can. Question: would this be an activity you would be interested in learning the basics of if it were offered at a campground?

Thank you all in advance.

Jim & Lisa
We’re full timers and as you can see in my signature, we went with a Cedar Creek and a used Dodge 3500 DRW. I would have liked to have had your budget, but we found a camper that met our needs and didn’t break the bank. If I did have your budget, I probably would have opted for a Chevy Duramax 3500 DRW. But, I can’t complain about the Dodge.

We also have a B&W companion hitch and it is built like a tank. It’s also as heavy as a tank. I never take it out, so the weight isn’t really an issue.

2017 Cedar Creek Silverback 37MBH
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L, DRW, 4.10 Rear end
BGKirkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:07 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Ford has nearly half the truck market. Chevy/GMC together come close. Ram has less than 9% even though the lowest priced.

What’s your point? I’ve never liked ford, it’s a personal choice. Coke or Pepsi? I’ve had a couple fords, and they all nickeled and dined me to death. I’ve had better luck with Chevy dodge and Toyota. Besides Cummins is the best diesel on the market.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:17 PM   #38

You've been given some good advice.
As others have pointed out don't settle for a truck that can barely handle the trailer, get one that can handle it with ease.
Now, trailers in the category you are looking are heavy no doubt, be aware and this comes from someone who loves the Duramax/Allison combination, Ford and Ram 350/3500 DRW trucks have 14k GVWR, Chev/GM on the other hand have 800 lbs less which translates into less payload capacity. A similar issue is with the F450, it has (I believe) 14,300 lbs GVWR but is a heavier truck out the door. You need to take into account that any of the 5er's you have laid your eyes on are very heavy on the pin. We had to let go of our truck (the one in the signature) because we couldn't keep the weight below 14k, a simple slip tank with 80 gal. of fuel, the light weight Andersen Ultimate and a 50 lbs toolbox put us 500 lbs over and we don't even have a generator on board.
Btw., have a look a the RiverStone, we love ours even though we're experiencing some electrical problems at the moment but they are in no way related to Forest River or RiverStone.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:30 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttanous View Post
We started out determined to buy a Mobile Suites. After 6 months of comparison, I could not find the $40K difference between the DRV and the CC. To us the DRV had dated design and did not match the latest updates from CC.

1. Spend less and buy a CC
2. Take the savings by purchasing a CC and invest in a great tow vehicle. Stay with a dually, I have had 4 dually’s and 1 single wheel 1 ton and the single wheel never felt stable.
3. Unless you boon dock buy a residential refrigerator. During the summer you don’t have to worry about not cooling especially if you are in the south.
4. Hitches, buy the latest new truck with the built in hockey puck in the bed. You will feel like the trailer is bolted to the truck with this configuration.
5. Go with a full body paint. Something I truly missed doing and regret now

My cousin has a 4 year old CC, it’s a very nice unit. He’s pulling it with a ram 3500 dually with the Cummins. He says it pulls very nicely.

I’m fully versed in weight restrictions and all and I’ve done plenty of research on RV safety.com.

We plan on residential fridge and most likely installing a generator.

Here’s my dilemma: I personally want a Numar, Tiffen or Entegra motor coach and just tow a car.
The Mrs wants the 5er and a truck. So were getting a 5er and a truck! Lol [emoji23]

I’m just curious what others wish they knew or did before they bought what they have. What mistakes they made. What in hindsight they would have done differently.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:31 PM   #40

DRW you got. Don't limit yourself on rv

Things look pretty on the outside but look behind the walls on how Rv is built. Is it warranted for full time living? Tires,tires,tires will you need new ones in 3 months after your blowout ? Do We have the perfect RV no, none of them are BUT we love our (rv) HOME. We have been for 3+years full time. I would recommend going to the Hershey pa RV show in September you will see 80% +/- of the brands there . Brands (besides FR) we liked LUXE, LIFESTYLE,REDWOOD and of course LANDMARK. Take your time and get what you want I like my 65" tv and theater seats in our Charleston. Oh B&W hitch that way you can help other people move there rv, lots of people can't tow there rig.
poofam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5er