Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2015, 06:18 PM   #1

What IS the Difference?

Cedar Creek
Ceder Creek Silverback

What is the difference between the two model lines?
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:25 PM   #2

Trim inside the camper is different, flooring and the frame are different. The axles are also different, 7,000 Lbs axles are standard on the Cedar Creek with 6,000 Lbs axles are on the sliver back. The sliver back campers are lighter also.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:22 PM   #3
Certified Curmudgeon

The difference is "accoutrement". Oui?
Old 02-26-2015, 07:55 PM   #4

It's kind of "strange" to decyfer. Marine flooring, dual pain windows, rear cap, 4 aluminum stairs, return ducted AC, 7k axles, upgraded pin box (I think), counters and sinks, different frames. I am sure there's more but I can't think of any at the moment.

Salt

Lose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:59 AM   #5

The main difference for me was hitch weight. We tow light load, no washer dryer, no generator, systems mostly empty, etc.
At the FR Goshen rally, they offered to trade out 3 steps for 4, we decided not to. New Silverbacks HAVE DUCTED AIR. You may get a an upgraded hitch "included" however I ordered TrailAir pin box from FR at build. Yes, it cost me. Also upgraded mattress to Trump Serta Home Pillow Top;
Plumbed for washer/dryer for potential future stationary use.
Added 2nd air; upgraded convection oven to top of the line Whirlpool, upgraded furniture, upgraded TV.
I'm good 😘
If you visit the assembly line, you will see first hand the construction methods of both on the same line.
Buy what YOU like. FR stands behind your unit.
Eventually we plan on leaving this unit in FL and not traveling, likely in next 3 years.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:06 PM   #6

A slight upgrade with the Cedar Creek although both are quality units, I look at it as a more heavy duty unit.
Pitcrew18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:24 AM   #7

I went in my first Silverback last weekend at a show. All the horrible fit and finish and trim work I saw sure wasn't worthy of the Cedar Creek badge.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:13 AM   #8

Well, I would recommend that IF IT WAS AS BAD as you say, why not do us all a favor and take the VIN and e mail FR. I am more than certain they would appreciate potential buyer concern. They may need to tighten inspection of the assembly crew that made this unit.
I was at the factory during assembly. I saw speed and experience. It was not a show for guests. These are assembled, not hand crafted!
The value of this forum is not only to share experiences, but to force industry changes for the future.
Example: tires. Why should we not DEMAND Maxxis or Goodyear vs so called China bombs.
Just say'n!
Ps, not all Silverbacks are poorly put together fit and finish. My 2015 had interior minor issues, all repaired in 20 minutes at The Rally.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:19 AM   #9

there is good and bad of every brand. Just stating what I saw, because that is what was asked.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
there is good and bad of every brand. Just stating what I saw, because that is what was asked.
It may not have been so elegantly put, but the assertion to provide feedback to Forest River is a good one! What many do not realize is that because of the manufacturer-dealer model, Forest River has to jump to the tune of the dealers because the dealers are their actual customers. The folks within Forest River have always been very good once I could get to them, and this is echoed through those that go to Goshen. The only way to foster a change is to provide the feedback where it's most useful - direct to the manufacturer around the dealer.

Fit and finish varies on an RV line because of the human element and because sometimes tolerances stack. So, I'm sure the Forest River regional rep would definitely be concerned if a unit on the lower end of the swing went to show representing the brand.
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:59 AM   #11

I really do believe it varies unit to unit. The SB I have was day and night over my previous 5er in build quality. After 2 months and several trips I have had zero issues. I looked at a CC side by side before I purchased and I looked at a lot of brands. It came down to a Grand Design and a Siverback mainly do to price point and quality I thought on the individual unit.

If I was full timing and/or not concerned with a budget the Cedar Creek probably would have moved to the front of the line.

Salt

Lose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 12:24 PM   #12

one person says they will only own brand X, and the next person will say they will never own brand X again. Typical for the RV industry due to different experiences.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:19 PM   #13

And so it rolls until I win the lottery�� "Hey, did you see that cool Prevost that blew by? "
Then it's: kids, you want Grampy's old 2015 Silverback"?
Just say'n��
Old 02-28-2015, 08:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post

Fit and finish varies on an RV line because of the human element and because sometimes tolerances stack. So, I'm sure the Forest River regional rep would definitely be concerned if a unit on the lower end of the swing went to show representing the brand.
Actually, it is amazing the number of units from any brand that dealers will bring to an RV show w/o even doing a normal delivery prep. Saw-dust, loose trim, sticking doors. However they roll in from the factory is how they hit the RV show floor.
larrytbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 08:43 PM   #15
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverbackMel View Post
And so it rolls until I win the lottery�� "Hey, did you see that cool Prevost that blew by? "
Then it's: kids, you want Grampy's old 2015 Silverback"?
Just say'n��
X2!! Towing a color matched Escalade....
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote