Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #1

What would you do? Trade for a 36RE or keep the 30RL

I have a 30RL C/C and I have the chance to buy a 36RE and I don't know what to do. I have a Silverado 2012HD SWR Diesel long bed so I think I can pull the camper alright, the fuel mileage will go down, I guess. I wanted to do some work on the 30RL and the new camper will put a stop to that. I will have more room in the 36RE. My problem is, the 36RE is 39ft and the 30RL is 34ft, some places the 36RE will not fit but DW does not like to dry camp anyway, all the places we have been too takes bigger campers than the one we have. On our trip to Yellowstone this year all the campgrounds would take bigger campers than ours. I really like the 36RE and Cedar Creek is not going to make any more 36RE, I just don't know what to do,,,,NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:07 AM   #2

I would trade the silver in on something like a FL-60, and the 30RL in on the 36RE.

Why?

Because if Momma no happy nobody happy.

It is not logical but then neither are females.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:28 AM   #3

Trade 36RE

Before I would get to far along I would make sure your 2500 swd can safely tow the new camper, yes it will pull it but there is more to safely towing than just pulling, good luck.
Pitcrew18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:50 AM   #4

a)You only go down this road once.
b)Live and let live.
c) Go for it.
d)all of the above
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #5
Certified Curmudgeon

His Chebby is a 3500. The tires would be his limiting factor and that's easily fixed.
Spock123 will also find that towing a 36 Series with a SRW will wear him out and he will not enjoy the drive.

Also noted is the length of the 36RE. I believe it's a tad over 40'. I can tell you with a great deal of certainty that there are a lot of places the 36RE will not fit. If your looking for a unit to spend many months in and don't move around a lot, the larger Creeks are perfect. If you want to explore and not make reservations, you will want to be at or near the 30' mark.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #6

I have a SRW Chevy 3500 Long Bed (extended cab) and have no problems at a towing my 39' 5er. You don't need DRW with a long bed, unless you need it for the payload capacity.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #7

It looks like I will not get the 36RE, I camp a lot and DW likes to be comfortable on the road. The 3500 pulls the 30RL great but some places I will not be able to get into, DW and I rent a spot in Sulf City NC and I called today and was told that it would only fit a 35ft camper in. DW likes the spot, we can look out over the sound and the Dish is easy to set up. It does not have sewer only W/E but it stays rented a lot. Two campgrounds in Yellowstone I would not be able to get in with the 36RE. I like all the space in the 36RE and the 36CKTS and the windows, oh well
Old 10-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #8
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
It looks like I will not get the 36RE, I camp a lot and DW likes to be comfortable on the road. The 3500 pulls the 30RL great but some places I will not be able to get into, DW and I rent a spot in Sulf City NC and I called today and was told that it would only fit a 35ft camper in. DW likes the spot, we can look out over the sound and the Dish is easy to set up. It does not have sewer only W/E but it stays rented a lot. Two campgrounds in Yellowstone I would not be able to get in with the 36RE. I like all the space in the 36RE and the 36CKTS and the windows, oh well
I thought you bored some holes and put more windows in your 30RL making like a baby 36...
Old 10-19-2013, 03:56 PM   #9

You know, we just got a new to us unit and it's fine, not exactly what I wanted but fine ~ I knew then that there was no hurry but after some time, we decided to go ahead and get it. Then, just today, we are out snooping and find the perfect camper. of course~~

If the change isn't right, right now, no biggie, just give it some time and keep your eyes open
Old 10-20-2013, 08:17 AM   #10

I called the factory about putting windows in my camper and I was told that I could do it. I talked to the plant manager and was told that C/C could not put them in but he new some people who worked at the plant that could. Tom Johnson said they could do the job but they would have to get someone else to weld the aluminum. Maybe some company will come out with a smaller camper that is like the C/C in quality, if not sometime next year I will make a trip to the factory.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:38 AM   #11
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
I called the factory about putting windows in my camper and I was told that I could do it. I talked to the plant manager and was told that C/C could not put them in but he new some people who worked at the plant that could. Tom Johnson said they could do the job but they would have to get someone else to weld the aluminum. Maybe some company will come out with a smaller camper that is like the C/C in quality, if not sometime next year I will make a trip to the factory.
Whoa, what a sudden change in direction.
You were just contemplating a 36RE now you want to go smaller? That's where I was going now that we are no longer full timing.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #12

Quote:
There already is a company that makes a small high quality trailer. The Hitchhiker by NuWa has two models in the 30 foot range.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #13

I would look at something other than a FR
Ray B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:18 AM   #14
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
There already is a company that makes a small high quality trailer. The Hitchhiker by NuWa has two models in the 30 foot range.
I looked at NuWa and their smallest and only one in the 30' range is the LS model 27.5 at 29'1". All of the rest are over 31'. (30' range defined as 30' +/- 11"). Also noted is the rumor that they are no longer in business. There are no 2014's and it was reported that the factory stopped production in November and no word on future production. I have not verified that yet and have not seen anything credible to the contrary.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:32 AM   #15

I didn't realize they no longer produce the Hitchhiker, that's really a shame. I guess a short high quality fifth wheel is no longer produced by any RV manufacturers. I'm not even sure if Space Craft would custom build a short fifth wheel.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 10-20-2013, 01:38 PM   #16
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
I didn't realize they no longer produce the Hitchhiker, that's really a shame. I guess a short high quality fifth wheel is no longer produced by any RV manufacturers. I'm not even sure if Space Craft would custom build a short fifth wheel.
Spacecraft is going to be at the Tampa show in Jan. so I will find out then.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #17

It's funny, SpaceCraft is located here in Missouri and I've yet to see them at the St. Louis RV show.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 10-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #18

What about the new holiday rambler presidential? It looks really nice.
Ray B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:39 PM   #19
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray B View Post
What about the new holiday rambler presidential? It looks really nice.
Hello RayB, Did you notice all the posts mentioning 30' range? Those HR's are nice. I'll give you that. However, they are also 39'11" and weigh in at just south of 19k lbs with a Dry pin weight of very close to 2900 lbs.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:43 PM   #20
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
It's funny, SpaceCraft is located here in Missouri and I've yet to see them at the St. Louis RV show.
Even funnier is that I lived in KC and never saw one at the RV and Boat show there either.