Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2014, 07:41 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Halifax View Post
Main Street Moncton NB near Botsford Street (old CNR overpass to train station--not there now)....Left Funday Park and crossed bridge over river at Riverview.....should have taken first exit which would have bypassed overpass but took next exit Main Street ......BIG MISTAKE!!!!! Not paying attention...Used to live there as a teen and was talking to BH and !@#$%!!! Good thing I was only creeping!!!! Tore out front vent and broke antenna...Roof has a number of small tears....

Thanks for the heads up on the location. I know exactly where it is and have avoided that route many times.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:22 PM   #22
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKI Marine View Post
If in doubt just get behind a Semi.

Does you no good if your 5th wheel is 13' 6"...
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:15 AM   #23

Mine is 13' 6". I've seen a lot of big rigs with the trailers marked 13' 6" on the back
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:10 PM   #24

Thinking Fed standard for their hwys is 14'6" unless clearly marked.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:52 PM   #25
Camper Less Camping

If you're going to resell the camper in the future...prospective buyers will not be thrilled seeing a seamed roof repair...go full roof repair and get it back to factory spec.
Good Luck

Old 08-04-2014, 12:03 PM   #26

Smile Roof to be replaced

Quote:
Tried to take our 29RE 12 1/2 foot 5're under a 11 foot high underpass......Tore some rubber roof and cleaned the front sky light and broke TV antenna....No damage to structure!!!!!!!
About 1/3 of roof has to be replaced up front.....

Would you recommend replacing whole roof OR front 1/3???? There would be a seam with a metal strip at the joint.....

J
Just got quote back from dealer to repair and replace 35' of roof....Taxes in $6800. and change!! Fully covered with $500.00 deductable!!!! Unfortunately my camping will be over for this summer......Come on Dec. 31st and off to Florida!!!!!! J
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:14 PM   #27

Sure liking the height of my pop up when I hear stories like this.

Sorry about your accident. Not a good way to end the camping season. Good luck with the repair. You will be back to camping next year and it will all be behind you.

Vin.
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:44 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiigDaddy View Post
What a YouTube channel! Thanks Baron, I got some twisted enjoyment out of that!
That 11'8" overpass is about 30 miles from me on Gregson St in Durham NC. It is a well known "landmark/obstacle" in this area. The local TV stations have "someone else hit the bridge" segments quite often.

The most tiring thing to me about RVing is mental. You can never stop thinking and have to forward think every move and turn you make when driving or pulling an RV. Some of our new rigs make us so comfortable that it's easy to get in a lull and forget things like heights and turning radius'.
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:55 AM   #29

I've got to add my experience yesterday coming into the US from Canada (on Hwy 10 by the International Peace Park).

As I drove up to the US customs awning, I saw a sign directing campers into the first lane, so I took it. I weaved through the barricades & 9 foot wide clearances to arrive at the awning. Only then could I see a very small sign that said 13'2" clearance! My RV measures 13'. I had no choice at that point but to creep on forward. The customs agent helped me watch the roof AC and hollered stop! I climbed up to check and they had installed ductwork UNDER the awning which brought the clearance down to 12'10" or so. My AC & probably my Dish Trav'ler would have been toast.

So I had the pleasure of slowly backing my rig through the 9' wide twisting barricades until I could take another lane. Whew!

Moral of the story: You can't trust clearance signs. When in doubt, go around or at the least, go VERY slow with a spotter. Any clearance posted to within 6-8 inches of your height is a threat.
danno2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:37 AM   #30

Trailer Height???????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2u View Post
I've got to add my experience yesterday coming into the US from Canada (on Hwy 10 by the International Peace Park).

As I drove up to the US customs awning, I saw a sign directing campers into the first lane, so I took it. I weaved through the barricades & 9 foot wide clearances to arrive at the awning. Only then could I see a very small sign that said 13'2" clearance! My RV measures 13'. I had no choice at that point but to creep on forward. The customs agent helped me watch the roof AC and hollered stop! I climbed up to check and they had installed ductwork UNDER the awning which brought the clearance down to 12'10" or so. My AC & probably my Dish Trav'ler would have been toast.

So I had the pleasure of slowly backing my rig through the 9' wide twisting barricades until I could take another lane. Whew!

Moral of the story: You can't trust clearance signs. When in doubt, go around or at the least, go VERY slow with a spotter. Any clearance posted to within 6-8 inches of your height is a threat.
You are correct..Never trust signs!!!!!!

Before I take my 5'r home I will get the dealer to give me an exact measurement from the highest point to the ground......I think this info should be recorded somewhere inside our units by the manufacturer or dealer......J
Old 08-12-2014, 10:55 AM   #31

Before I take my 5'r home I will get the dealer to give me an exact measurement from the highest point to the ground......I think this info should be recorded somewhere inside our units by the manufacturer or dealer......J[/QUOTE]

I do think that it is important to know the height of your camper. However, not recorded and posted from the manufacturer. All setups on tow vehicles can be different. Mine can vary as much a 5 inches depending on how I hitch up to my fifth wheel. I think you need to hook up to your camper , measure and remember, record or whatever so that you always now how high your rig is. If you should switch setups, hitches, trucks, add stuff to the roof, whatever, you should remeasure.
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:15 PM   #32

OKI Marine gives excellent advice. Hook up and measure. No "BAM" 😃
Makes Happy Campers!
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:28 PM   #33

What would you do

Quote:
Tried to take our 29RE 12 1/2 foot 5're under a 11 foot high underpass......Tore some rubber roof and cleaned the front sky light and broke TV antenna....No damage to structure!!!!!!!
About 1/3 of roof has to be replaced up front.....

Would you recommend replacing whole roof OR front 1/3???? There would be a seam with a metal strip at the joint.....

J
Checked with dealer on Monday past....Parts still not shipped from CC "parts dept as of 25th Aug.....One month since order placed....Poor customer service from cc parts dept in my opinion!!! rubber roof/some metal rain gutter units/cement/antenna.......
Old 08-28-2014, 08:39 PM   #34
cjearle

I would replace the whole roof even if I had to pay the difference that the insurance does not cover.
We were in Oregon and the GPS sent us down a short cut to get back on the interstate. The bridge was labeled as 11'2" and m Aviator is 11'1". We choose to not go. But that preceded another problem. Made a lot people mad because we had to back up this 34 footer up a hill and around a curve to get it turned around. I was up the hill stopping traffic so my husband could back this thing up. Not fun. SO sorry to hear what happened to you. We also got caught by a bridge not labeled with height and opted out because it looked to low. Good luck!
cjearle2 is offline   Reply With Quote