Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2018, 09:11 PM   #41

Roof vent covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlknowles View Post
We have a 2018 cck with 2 acs and have noticed when the acs are running there is a smell of the black holding tank throughout. Any ideas why? is the ac sucking in air from the tank vent?
The AC cools the inside warm air inside the Trailers just like your home does, so make sure all roof vents are closed and windows. If they are open you will pull in the black and grey odors rising from the tanks through the roof pipe vents and then that bad air gets pulled into the trailer through the roof vents if they are in the open position and it will pull warm/hot air into the trailer. This will also happen when only using the fantastic fans with no AC on because the fantastic fan will pull air through another roof vent into the trailer. So I close all roof vents when using only one fantastic fan with window or windows open when pulling in cooler air. Less likely to pull in bad air from tank vents. We found this out when running Bathroom fantastic fan and the fantastic fan in kitchen area was open too. So when we closed the the kitchen fan cover there was no odor coming from the tank vents. Try that and see if it helps and make sure all plumbing traps have water in them, that goes for the same at home when you don’t use one bathroom for awhile the sink and shower and tub traps could dry out and allow sewer gases into your home. I hope this helps you with the odor issue.
Doug-2015-8289ws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:17 AM   #42

Just to point out, as I "remembered" this on a recent trip with a little stink....be sure your "P traps" have water in them (my problem was the shower). Does a world of wonders with keeping the stink out

So, when prepping the water, always run all the faucets to at least fill the P traps
Egalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:26 AM   #43

Umm, this one's easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Interesting. I'm having the same issue, but only when a toilet is flushed and the main A/C is running.
When the toilet is flushed (flapper being held open) and anything (range hood, exhaust fan, etc.) is pushing air out of the trailer, air to replace the exhausted air has to come from somewhere.

And that somewhere is down the vent stack, through the black tank, and up through the open flush flapper.

Moral of the story: Don't turn on the bathroom exhaust fan until after you've completed flushing.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:31 AM   #44

Are you sure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertcottage40cck View Post
Extend your roof-top sewer outlet by approximately 12 to 15" with new abs pipe. Be sure that you extend the pipe so that it sits a few inches above the height of the air conditioners. I only needed to do this to my bedroom one; however you may need to do this to all of them. This solved the issue immediately and permanently.
How do you avoid knocking that extension off when passing under low-hanging branches, service station porticos, etc.?

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:01 AM   #45

Black tank smell inside camper

2018 Rockwood 8298ws 5er. happened yesterday 16/8/2018 85% humidity 90 degrees after camper had been parked for 3 weeks I re flushed the black tank and it was dirty (after flushing 3 times before we left in July and it showed very clean) added 5 gallons of water with Happy Camper to the black and grey tanks corrected the problem.
WeLoveCampin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:46 AM   #46

sinks and shower traps dry?

Is it possible your traps are dry? (maybe the shower hasn't been used for a while)?
Tim-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:14 PM   #47
Site Team - Lou

Had this happen with our new camper. The roof hole for our vent was not sealed properly.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:31 PM   #48

Black vs. gray

Carl says it is a black tank odor. The vacuum breakers are on the gray tank plumbing so they shouldn’t be the issue.
GeneB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:28 AM   #49

Black tank smell when AC runnning

Check your trailer batteries that you don't have one going bad. They will smell just like sewer gas when this happens.
jhulton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, tank