Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2018, 04:31 PM   #1

Where are the problems?

I've owned 12 Rvs of various types and makes over the last 30 years and each time I grab my tool box and start fixing various and sundry problems. I have learned to accept that Rvs are going to have problems; some big most small. I've owned this RV about 3 months and towed about a thousand miles and not ONE problem. I have either gotten more tolerant in my old age or I struck the mother lode and finally got a really good RV. I worry that talking about my good fortune is going to be my downfall and parts will begin to fall off, but so far "kudos" to Cedar Creek for building one fine unit.
2017 Ford F350 SRW CC SWB 4x2
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k Hitch
sh1pper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 04:38 PM   #2

Great to hear. Hope it is a really good one. I am picking up a new one next week and hope I get a great one too!

2017 Cedar Creek 38EL
2011 F-350 King Ranch 4WD SRW Diesel
Nights Camping in 2017 - 118
magi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 04:45 PM   #3

I have a 17 38EL and have had a few minor issues. Like the drawer self closers not engaging and having to reset them. Nothing that can not be fixed in a few minutes. Love ours, very happy with it also.
We liked the dinning table at first. But hate the space we loss from the built in shelf. We have a new table and chairs on order, will be removing existing one as soon as I get new one.
2008 F350
2017 CC Champagne 38EL
2006 Salem Sport 32 SRV Toy Hauler (still have)
brusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 04:59 PM   #4

Owned ours about a year. Your right Cedar Creek is by far the best quality we've had. Understand some are having problems. Things happen in travel that create problems with units. All manufacturers have problems with units. Have never seen any make that is higher workmanship. I know this will get some negative reads and opinions are to each his own. When we purchased ours the first thing in basement was a tool box. Yes I've worked on a few things but we are tickled with ours. Satisfied people say the least.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forest River Forums mobile app
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:21 PM   #5

I got all your potential problems and 2-3 other owner's problems as well. My first year of ownership was a continual uphill struggle with issue after issue ... and no this was not near my first new RV. I envy you ...
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:37 PM   #6
World Wide Wanderer

I had a Cedar Creek Cardinal about 12-14 years ago. Not a bad unit. The other day I was helping a buddy do a walk through of some less expensive units at the local CW. They had two of the same model units on site, different interior color schemes. One looked like it had been put together by someone with some serious vision impairment. Things were loose, out of square, screws and staples missing the framing, etc, etc. The other one was pretty solid and everything on it seemed to be assembled properly. They were produced about 2 weeks apart according to the date stickers. The better one was done on a Friday the other on a Wednesday. Just goes to show the best thing you can do is a very thorough PDI and have it fixed prior to signing on the dotted line or if bad enough walk away. I am sure someone will end up with the sorry unit we looked at and will be on the internet upset about it.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:44 PM   #7

I to have a theory about taunting fate, so I will say great for you on your new RV and then I'm getting out of this thread. Lol
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:05 AM   #8

I have owned ours unit a 34RL, now for 2+ years, we purchased this in the spring of 2015. The major issues I have had with this unit have been with other manufactures built products. I have had some Led lights fail due to heat from the lamps. Replaced them with other LED lights that were more expensive and of a better design. The roll up shades bracket failed on one window, the supplier has replaced the brackets with new ones free of charge. I have pendant lights over the kitchen counter. The pendant lights tend to have the retain nuts loosen when traveling and allow them to swing. I used lock-tight to retain the nuts, no more loosening when traveling. Some have reported that the glass on the pendant lights have been broken by the swinging.

My major issue was with the driver side slide that the entertainment system and kitchen are in. The rear most rack and pinion failed allowing the rack to jump a tooth every time the slide was extended. Causing the slide to be out of alignment and leaving a gap between the trailer wall and the slide. This was repaired last year under warranty by my dealer. New racks were installed along with the roller gears on both sides of the slide. These were manufactured by Lippert and missed heat treating per the mechanic who did the work.

That is the extent of my issues that I have had with our 34RL Cedar Creek. This is way better than our 2010 Cougar that we owned.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:36 PM   #9

I have been pleasantly surprised with our Puma, I did not expect it to be great and for the first 5000 miles it has been excellent. Just not sure about those tires.
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
I got all your potential problems and 2-3 other owner's problems as well. My first year of ownership was a continual uphill struggle with issue after issue ... and no this was not near my first new RV. I envy you ...
Is it a "cc"?
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:30 PM   #11
Charlie & Sue

Where Are The Problems?

My 2015 CC CKTS was fraught with too many problems to even consider listing here. Many issues were tackled by local dealers, but I thank God for Orvan Fry who tackled the more serious issues, including the drivers side slide with entertainment unit, fridge, etc. that was installed too far back and as a result was inadequately secured at the front end. In addition he identified many other issues that I had not yet detected that were repaired under warranty. I am not sure that CC build a better unit based on my and others I have talked to, but I am more than satisfied that they will stand behind their units and get them repaired correctly. It seems that the weakness in repairs lies with the dealers who have inadequate trained techs and service associates who fail to understand the client dealer relationship. I will not hesitate to make a several daytrip to Topeka to see Orvan if other problems arise assuming the problems do not restrict travel.
mecd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:49 PM   #12

I have a 2016 Cardinal 3450, bought it new, and have had zero problems with the manufactured side of things. I did have a catastrophic blow out while on the road, but that was a tire issue, one we have heard about many times with Made in China quality. 5th wheel itself, love it and again, no problems.
card16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh1pper View Post
I've owned 12 Rvs of various types and makes over the last 30 years and each time I grab my tool box and start fixing various and sundry problems. I have learned to accept that Rvs are going to have problems; some big most small. I've owned this RV about 3 months and towed about a thousand miles and not ONE problem. I have either gotten more tolerant in my old age or I struck the mother lode and finally got a really good RV. I worry that talking about my good fortune is going to be my downfall and parts will begin to fall off, but so far "kudos" to Cedar Creek for building one fine unit.
I do not want to tempt fate as one owner wrote. But we also have had no problems with our Champagne. (Except: I don't know why the washer lines are outside but we are learning to work through that.) The 38EL is a well built, thoughtfully laid out fiver.
Freebirds is offline   Reply With Quote