Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2017, 07:40 PM   #1
Global Nomad

Where do Ants come from?

I have been in Southwest New Mexico for 4 weeks. All of a sudden I have ants in my bathroom sink. No where else. How did they get there? Did they crawl up one of my 6 self levelers? Or come up by my tires? Do they send a scout up one of the those ways who then travels around my 5th wheel for an entry, like between the rubber and the slide out, and then notifies the others? It sure seems strange to me.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:46 PM   #2
Site Team

Did you have full hookups? If so they can sometimes come from grey tank especially if you leave the grey tank drain open. Or climb up the shore power cable, or tank dump hoses.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:00 PM   #3

They can come in via any of the above routes. Spray around the tires, stabilizers, power cord, and anything else that touches the ground.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:01 PM   #4

ANTS

Short answer is everywhere!!! The first thing I do when I set up is spray the leveling jacks, I try not to let the power cord or water line touch the ground and if it does I spray it. Spray around the wheels, we try not to let any limbs from trees touch the trailer as well. If you ever get a real infestation of ants, you will know you have to do this, especially in the lower US. We also put bounce sheets almost everywhere when we are not using in the winter, no ants no mice ever.
flattyattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:21 PM   #5

Have you tried talking to them? Maybe something around your sink is interpreted as being food by them.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:23 PM   #6

When I was very young I was told they come from God.
Asrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrabbit View Post
When I was very young I was told they come from God.

Ahh, well, apparently God thought we would all appreciate his sense of humor.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:45 PM   #8
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Did you have full hookups? If so they can sometimes come from grey tank especially if you leave the grey tank drain open. Or climb up the shore power cable, or tank dump hoses.
All my tank valves are closed unless I am emptying. In a 5th wheel the shore line connects outside and no opening to inside.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:52 PM   #9
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
Have you tried talking to them? Maybe something around your sink is interpreted as being food by them.
WW
In the bathroom? I captured one, and tried torturing him, but he would not talk.

Old 10-20-2017, 01:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheinin View Post
In the bathroom? I captured one, and tried torturing him, but he would not talk.
They must be army ants it hard to get them to say much more than there rank.
LarryBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:27 PM   #11

When mommy ants and daddy ants love each other...
2016 Ford F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke DRW 4X4
2016 Brookstone 395RL
dwayneb236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:32 PM   #12

Your have probably heard of the birds and the bees. But apparently they didn't tell you about the ants
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:34 PM   #13

Not sure they were army ants. The way these RVs are built, they were probably carpenter ants.
Maybe they were sent by Forest River to void your warranty
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:40 PM   #14
Insert witty title here

You see, when a mommy and daddy ant love each other very much......

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:00 PM   #15

I trained pest control professionals:

The "how" of entry on an RV is more about the tiny openings that allow them to get inside. They easily climb jacks, hoses, wires, tires, and so on. But finding where they actually make entry may take some careful searching.

The "good news" is that explorer ants usually lay down a scent trail for other rank-and-file ants to follow. That means that, if you can find the early parts of the trail...perhaps on a stabilizer jack...you may be able to follow the ants as they use the trail and see where they are getting in. If you find the point of entry, you can seal it up with caulk. That's a permanent solution.

Virtually all pests come for three things: 1) food; 2) moisture; 3) a place to live. In an arid climate, moisture is a powerful attraction. I think we can rule out shelter as a motive - except in rare circumstances.

Assuming there is a way into the plumbing via your gray-tank dump, it's plausible that they entered through your gray tank and then followed their way to the sink. The problem with that hypothesis is the drain trap. Rodents can swim through a trap, but ants usually cannot. Furthermore, if they are in your gray tank, they have LOTS of food and moisture. Anything is possible, but it's far more likely that they are in the sink to take advantage of moisture remaining near the drain, and they got there via a route inside your RV...perhaps their trail is through the vanity cabinet.

The good news about many ants - especially the tiny "pavement" ants - is that you can disrupt their scent trail simply by washing it away with soap and water. You MIGHT be able to reduce the attraction of moisture by drying out the sink after use, but nothing will stop them from going down into the trap from the sink to get the moisture they need.

A chemical pesticide will be effective at killing and repelling them, but bear in mind that pets and little kids are VERY vulnerable to these chemicals. The old saying is "the dose is the poison." The exposure of a 150 pound man is very different than the exposure of a 14 pound lap dog or 40 pound child. And pets might find the smell of a pesticide worthy of sniffing or licking. Whereas you would instinctively not "huff" the scent of the chemical, a dog might sniff in overdrive attempting to identify the smell.

Also,"long lasting" residual pesticides ("Protects for 6 months!!") are meant for long-term protection. If you camp in multiple locations over a summer or move frequently, repeated applications (dosing and redosing) to your running and landing gear and connection systems leads to quite an accumulation of the toxic chemicals on your RV, and it leaves "contamination" for those who occupy the site after you leave. You also get exposed repeatedly as you apply it, handle shore-power wires, hoses, stabilizer jacks, and so on. If you handle contaminated surfaces, wash your hands ASAP after handling these items.

It's a stretch to mention this, but most states require a license to apply pesticides on another person's property...or a commercial property - e.g. a campground. Applying pesticides on an RV campsite may be a violation of the law. Again...a stretch. If, however, you were to discover an infestation of fire ants on your site, it would be unwise and probably illegal to tackle it on your own. What you do in your own home is up to you, but it's better to report something like this to the campground owner and ask to change sites. Leave them to hire a professional to handle the situation. It's also likely campground staff would be in violation of the law if they were to attempt to do a pesticide application themselves. These laws vary from state to state, but the EPA govern's much of this.

A better option? Consider alternative repellents. Many rely on disrupting or overwhelming the same acute sense of smell the ants rely on to communicate and to locate food/water sources.

So, an infestation is one thing. That means they've taken up residence in your RV...as carpenter ants might in a moist wall structure. But your situation is more of an opportunist expedition for food and water, and you can start by sealing up entry points and then using repellents to deter them from trying to get in.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:24 PM   #16

Ants will find a way in from any point that touches the ground. When it is very dry out, the ants are looking for water. We have had a similar problem at our home in Florida. Most likely, they are "sweet ants". You might try Terro. A few drops along their travel route will get rid of them. Boric acid powder will also kill them.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:31 PM   #17
Just as confused as you

Maybe the reason you couldn't get the ant to talk is because he's an uncle.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:42 PM   #18

So, when I had ants in the trailer (when didn't I have ants in the trailer) I went outside and observed. I found a corner next to the concrete slab that they were making into an elaborate low-rise housing project. But, I noticed a formation as in single file, field march, that went from there to one of my stabilizers... which had a line running up and unto the belly. Treat the housing project and spray or sprinkle everywhere. I was gone 3 months and no ants inside or out. I might have overdone it because I didn't see any cats or dogs in the neighborhood either. Small children, still screaming and crying... its all good.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:45 PM   #19
Just as confused as you

To get rid of ants permanently, use the recipe below.

Borax is toxic to ants and helps rid them from your house and garden. Ants are attracted to it and, when ingested, it ultimately kills them.

• Mix equal amounts of borax and food jelly. Put it on a flat plate in the areas where you have ants.
  • Alternatively, mix borax with granulated sugar in a 1:3 ratio. Add enough water to get a syrup-like consistency. Put this paste in the areas where you see ants.
  • Another option is to make a paste with equal amounts of borax, cornmeal and a few drops of water. Spread the paste in areas where you tend to see ants.

The ants will gorge themselves and take the mixture back to the nest and feed the queen ant and others. In 2 - 3 days the nest will be dead.

CAUTION! Borax the active ingredient, is toxic to pets and children.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:23 PM   #20

Ants are very resourceful. My entered thru the top of one slide. A blade of grass touched the frame, they went up the side of the front cap, along the roof to where the back slide corner was not very tight and got in there.
lmiken is offline   Reply With Quote