Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2015, 08:04 AM   #1

Where is fresh water drain?

We have the 2011 CC 29rl. We are on a permanent site where we get pumped out by wagon 2x week. Today ours clogged(lots of work) so DH was checking tank levels after they fixed it and noticed the fresh water tank reads half full. We are connected to city water, so that shouldn't be. He looked thru manuals, but they read all the units are different. Any silverback owners out there that can help us?
HeyJude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:33 PM   #2

My 29RE Silverback has a label that says "fresh water drain" on the left main slide just aft of the wheels. Under the RV, I see the fresh water drain is a blue PEX hose extending perhaps 12 inches below the underbelly skin with a shutoff valve on it.

I suspect your RV may be similar. Absent a label, look under the unit for a blue hose with either a cap on it or a shut off valve. The only other drains you might see are the low point drains which are a red & blue PEX hose with no shut off valve.
danno2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:52 PM   #3

Your fresh water tank has nothing to do with the city water system. The water in your fresh tank had to be put there separately from the city water connection. Unless you turn on your water pump and turn off the water from the city source, the water level will not change. That water has to be "pumped out". Never turn your pump on while you are using city water.
Don't know where your fresh water tank is, but the "low point drain" is USUALLY right below it out the bottom. Most have either caps or valves on them. My three drains are two white and one red [water heater] PEX tubes and all three have valves.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
Unless you turn on your water pump and turn off the water from the city source, the water level will not change. That water has to be "pumped out". Never turn your pump on while you are using city water.
I don't think the OP was concerned about "how" water got in their fresh water tank. They just wanted to drain it. You CAN drain the fresh water tank using the fresh water drain and that's the only way to completely drain the tank. You can ALSO drain the fresh water tank to a point by pumping the water out using the pump. But you'll still have water in the fresh tank unless you open the fresh water tank drain to completely empty it.

Also, there's a good reason to use your pump while using city water. In cases where the city water pressure is a little low (below about 45 psi), your pump will supplement the pressure using water from the fresh water tank. If city water pressure is above about 45 psi, your pump won't come on anyway.
danno2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:55 PM   #5

Thanks all. We found it and it is now drained.
HeyJude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Your fresh water tank has nothing to do with the city water system. The water in your fresh tank had to be put there separately from the city water connection.
Only if everything is working correctly. If the check valve in your water pump is leaking, your city water WILL fill the FW tank.

My Roo had separate valves on the suction side of the pump, a normally open one to the FW tank line and a normally closed one to the winterizing connection line. If you are set up like this, you can shut the valve to the FW tank and it should stop any filling from the city water.

Instead of 2 valves, some units have a single 3 way valve that can line the pump up to either the FW tank or the winterizing connection. I ASSUME it lines to either one, so if you swapped it from the FW tank to the winterizing connection, it wouldn't fill your FW tank, but may dribble out of the winterizing connection. I don't have one of these (that I know of - haven't checked out my Mini Lite arrangement yet), so I don't know if it's possible to align the valve between the two suction sources and thus shut them both off. Someone with experience with one of these 3-way valves may comment.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, fresh water, water