Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2015, 04:33 PM   #41
Georgia Frog Rally 2018
 
aceinspp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: GA
Posts: 10,665
I just use two 2x8x4. Doubles as a way to level trailer when camping also. Later RJD
__________________

__________________
2015 35 FT V-Lite 30WRLIKS Diamond Package
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 62
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 05:19 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
gashog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Kansas
Posts: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern View Post
My Windjammer has torsion axles. I changed two flats and installed 4 new tires on my TT using the Trailer Aid on a piece of 2"x8" last month. Worked great. The Trailer Aid is the right tool.
I bought a Andersen Rapid Jack, but I haven't used it yet. The only time I've ever jacked up the Jammer was when I removed the tires and took them down to get Maxxis tires mounted. I used a 6 ton bottle jack between the tires back on that rectangular steel tube that's welded to the frame that the torsion axles are mount to. Now back to the torsion axles, Dexter actually told me not to use the Andersen Rapid jack or similar method with their torsion axles. I still carry the Rapid Jack, because I might be in a situation where jacking with a bottle jack just won't work safely (off to the side of the road on an uneven dirt shoulder). The Andersen Rapid Jack will come out...
__________________

__________________
2015 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W Diamond Package

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4 x 4
6.4 Hemi 410 HP, 410 Rear Axle
gashog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:13 AM   #43
Alleged curmudgeon
 
Vern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southwest Michigan
Posts: 550
Interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gashog View Post
I bought a Andersen Rapid Jack, but I haven't used it yet. The only time I've ever jacked up the Jammer was when I removed the tires and took them down to get Maxxis tires mounted. I used a 6 ton bottle jack between the tires back on that rectangular steel tube that's welded to the frame that the torsion axles are mount to. Now back to the torsion axles, Dexter actually told me not to use the Andersen Rapid jack or similar method with their torsion axles. I still carry the Rapid Jack, because I might be in a situation where jacking with a bottle jack just won't work safely (off to the side of the road on an uneven dirt shoulder). The Andersen Rapid Jack will come out...
So what was Dexter's reason for not using a ramp-like system (Trailer Aid, Andersen Rapid Jack, or stacked lumber) with the torsion axles? As long as the other tire is inflated on the side of the flat, that method still seems least likely to cause damage to me.
__________________
Lee
2013 Windjammer 3008W
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.0L w/Equalizer 4
Nights camped: 2012 (29); 2013 (26); 2014 (40); 2015 (43); 2016 (35); 2017 (34)
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 11:25 AM   #44
Senior Member
 
gashog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Kansas
Posts: 343
Below is what Dexter e-mailed me about using my Andersen Rapid Jack with their torsion axles ... other than that I haven't got a clue..

>Dexter would not recommend using drive up ramps to support the weight of >the trailer on one axle or one wheel. The trailer weight should be lifted from >the frame to avoid damaging the suspension.
>
>
> Thanks
>
> Jim Miller / Dexter Axle"
__________________
2015 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W Diamond Package

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4 x 4
6.4 Hemi 410 HP, 410 Rear Axle
gashog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 02:47 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
Crockett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 833
http://www.keystonerv.com/media/1607...%20-%20Web.pdf

maybe dexter does not have the greatest confidence in their spindle welds or the possibility that a few units escaped recall.
__________________
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 03:40 PM   #46
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: McAllen, TX
Posts: 192
Overload

To much weight on one wheel/tire.

This has been beaten to death by a couple of gentlemen in another post. Bottom line was that if the trailer had no tires, then it would not weigh anything at all and just float!

I have a bridge for sale, interested?
__________________
whatsupchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 04:01 PM   #47
2007 WildCat 32QBBS
 
05CrewDually's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by gashog View Post
Below is what Dexter e-mailed me about using my Andersen Rapid Jack with their torsion axles ... other than that I haven't got a clue..

>Dexter would not recommend using drive up ramps to support the weight of >the trailer on one axle or one wheel. The trailer weight should be lifted from >the frame to avoid damaging the suspension.
>
>
> Thanks
>
> Jim Miller / Dexter Axle"

I tried explaining this on another post but some people don't want to admit they're wrong or just can't see the fact when you're supporting the weight that is normally supported by 2 axles, is now being supported by 1, you're overloading the capacity of that one axle.
If you use a wedge and later develop uneven tire wear, be sure to tell the warranty department and let's see if they'll cover it. Can you say VOID!
__________________
*Current: 2005 Ford F350 Crew Cab Dually 6.0 diesel 4x4*
*Retired: 1987 F350 Crew Cab Dually 6.9 turbo diesel
2007 Forest River WildCat 32QBBS
05CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:21 AM   #48
Alleged curmudgeon
 
Vern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southwest Michigan
Posts: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05CrewDually View Post
I tried explaining this on another post but some people don't want to admit they're wrong or just can't see the fact when you're supporting the weight that is normally supported by 2 axles, is now being supported by 1, you're overloading the capacity of that one axle.
If you use a wedge and later develop uneven tire wear, be sure to tell the warranty department and let's see if they'll cover it. Can you say VOID!
I understand this sentiment, and while it may be technically and legally the most defensible approach, there is just no guarantee any warranty department is going to agree with how we "jack" our trailers, however careful we are. Since no jacking mechanism is provided with the TT, owners are pretty much left to homemade devices to adapt a bottle jack to lift the unit at the spring shackles or by bridging two points on the frame, etc., depending on who you listen to. Such self-engineered techniques are more complicated and usually involve some technical skills and mechanical understanding (welding or other fabrication skills) beyond the comfort zone of most owners, seem a bit less simple and more dangerous in the application for the less sophisticated owner, and require hauling heavier equipment for use when tire issues do arise. Still, such techniques are not a "sure thing" in terms of warranty preservation. Hence the popularity of commercially available ramp systems. It is true that even slowly pulling or backing one tire onto a ramp (TireAid) overloads that axle, but so does having a flat or blowout on the other axle at 60 mph. If a manufacturer wants to deny a warranty claim, it will probably find a reason to do so, whatever your method of changing a tire. Just my opinion.
__________________

__________________
Lee
2013 Windjammer 3008W
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.0L w/Equalizer 4
Nights camped: 2012 (29); 2013 (26); 2014 (40); 2015 (43); 2016 (35); 2017 (34)
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tire, tires

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:12 PM.