Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2015, 12:40 PM   #61

It would seem so, but I was talking about recommendations, not the standard you see out there.
Total Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-02-2015, 12:57 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Bliss View Post
This is not from others that I received this info, it is from an informational site for rvers, "changinggears.com" under "Tow Vehicle Sizing". Not the auto industry. I never referred to it as a rule, I referred to it as a recommendation. Safety is a choice. I don't make decisions based on rumors or other's experience. I base it on industry standards and recommendations. But thinking that I am just going to be ok is not ok for me. You can do whatever you want, that's what's nice about America.Happy Camping
Um, that appears to be an Italian tour site? But, I have heard this mess before.

This is pretty much like Dilbert math here. An arbitrary percentage isn't ANY industry standard or a good recommendation. Saying 20% is the number implies that the engineers that designed each brand and model truck intended you (or the average truck consumer) apply that arbitrary "standard". They didn't. And at the very least, they didn't agree to 20%. That would mean they all agreed to this allowance, and we can barely get them to agree to put their trucks up for S.A.E. standard ratings. (which some have now done)

The engineers that design these vehicles almost certainly put a safety factor in their calculations. That safety factor may of may not be cut into by some marketing or management genious, but . . .
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-02-2015, 01:08 PM   #63

I said it is on the site "changinggears.com" which is an rvers informational site to give a safety recommendation. Not from the truck industry.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:14 PM   #64

Total bliss the "changinggears.com web site is a tour operators site. Does not seem to have anything to do with trailers.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-02-2015, 01:15 PM   #65

Well, you might want to cut and paste that link to your browser as I actually did. And, just because someone puts up a website, doesn't mean all the information provided is factual or accurate. There is that whole "French Model" thing. . .

It sounds like you are happy with a 1T dually as the TV. In the end, I think you are making the right choice for you and your family for that trailer. That is fine.

I am just saying spreading arbitrary percentages is not a standard. That recommended 20% doesn't mean you are 20% safer or 20% less likely to have an accident. It doesn't even equate to 20% less stress on the TV.

Happy Trails!
Old 02-02-2015, 01:18 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
Total bliss the "changinggears.com web site is a tour operators site. Does not seem to have anything to do with trailers.
I found it. RV Camping & RV Lifestyle - Changin' Gears Two g's not three
Old 02-02-2015, 01:19 PM   #67

ok if you say so
Old 02-02-2015, 01:27 PM   #68

Obviously, I wrote something you disagree with. Please, expound . . .
Old 02-02-2015, 03:41 PM   #69
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
I found it. RV Camping & RV Lifestyle - Changin' Gears Two g's not three
Good website

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-02-2015, 04:16 PM   #70

Which Tow Vehicle

I have 2014 SRW Ram 3500 and my SB is all but 400 lbs below it GVWR of 15.5k which puts my pin over 3k more like 3600 lbs. I drive many miles each summer and while wind conditions can cause some drivers concern the same applies to DRW and semis as well. High winds are a hazard that one needs to asses as they drive. Highway tractors flip over the same as RV's but each scenario is different so to draw conclusions is difficult from a pure factual point of view. The best way is to have the opportunity to use both setups and let your experience guide you. If not make the best choice one can from the info available.

My older DRW Ram did perform a little better in some conditions its not a deal breaker from my perspective. If I was hauling 60k miles a year then yes DRW based usage may be a better option.

The SRW truck performed very well and I would say 95-98% of what a comparable DRW truck handles.

I analyzed everything based on needs and found the SRW served me well.

I do find maintenance much easier on the SRW especially brake work.

FYI
I am more inclined to observe the rear axel ratings and federal bridge weights and purchased tag insurance weights.

My last statement will poke a few bears but I research actual road laws not myths.

Good luck and enjoy your ride what ever you buy.
SKGCRD is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-04-2015, 08:30 AM   #71

Quote:
Well, you might want to cut and paste that link to your browser as I actually did. And, just because someone puts up a website, doesn't mean all the information provided is factual or accurate. There is that whole "French Model" thing. . .

It sounds like you are happy with a 1T dually as the TV. In the end, I think you are making the right choice for you and your family for that trailer. That is fine.

I am just saying spreading arbitrary percentages is not a standard. That recommended 20% doesn't mean you are 20% safer or 20% less likely to have an accident. It doesn't even equate to 20% less stress on the TV.

Happy Trails!
I don't know how many times I have to say RECOMMENDATION not a STANDARD, not a RULE. It is strictly an informational site for rvers. It is not an advertisement. They are not selling anything. Whether you agree or not, that is your privilege. But I have been searching for info for sometime now. I have found other sites stating a safety allowance for towing. I do not take towing info from other rvers and use that as my basis for towing. I realize people are doing what they feel safe with. I never said you MUST do this or that. It is amazing what some readers will read into a statement. I asked in the OP what are people towing a 36ckts with. All of a sudden we got into debates. Some get sarcastic and arguementive. By some of the responses, someone would think a safety allowance is a bad thing.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:14 AM   #72

It sounds like you already planned to buy the DRW and wanted everyone to confirm you made a good choice. When it was pointed out that a SRW 1 ton and in many cases a 3/4 ton would work fine for your rig you responded in a somewhat rude fashion. BTW, you need to travel at 52 mph in order to have a 20% cushion over the max speed of 65mph on your ST tires.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-04-2015, 09:34 AM   #73

Wow...ok

2016 Silverado Dually
2016 Cedar Creek Champagne 38el
Old 02-04-2015, 09:41 AM   #74

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, when i put this thread up, I asked the question, what are people towing the 36ckts with. Why do we go in other directions when it has nothing to do with the subject.
This, in addition to a few others, is what I'm referring to. When you ask a question like this, you can expect some discussion on the topic. And, in my opinion, everything discussed on this thread is pertinent to the question of what people are towing the 36ckts with. If you don't want any discussion and are only interested in exactly what people are towing with, maybe a poll would be a better option where you could see that information while ignoring any discussion.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:52 AM   #75

Quote:
I don't know how many times I have to say RECOMMENDATION not a STANDARD, not a RULE. It is strictly an informational site for rvers. It is not an advertisement. They are not selling anything. Whether you agree or not, that is your privilege. But I have been searching for info for sometime now. I have found other sites stating a safety allowance for towing. I do not take towing info from other rvers and use that as my basis for towing. I realize people are doing what they feel safe with. I never said you MUST do this or that. It is amazing what some readers will read into a statement. I asked in the OP what are people towing a 36ckts with. All of a sudden we got into debates. Some get sarcastic and arguementive. By some of the responses, someone would think a safety allowance is a bad thing.
I stated that you made a good decision for your family. I also clearly stated in my first post in this thread, that recommendation is arbitrary and a bad recommendation. I said that because you stated:
Quote:
I was only concerned that I need the dually because it will give me the recommended 20% allowance that I need for the heavier cedar creek 36ckts.
You said you need it for this rig, and proceeded to restate that several times. I would prefer you and anyone else reading this later know that the 20% number is nonsense. While that particular website has some good information, this nugget is a poorly conceived idea.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:58 AM   #76

Quote:
I cannot fathom the thought of sacrificing safety for money. My wife and family mean too much to me for that.
This comment seems to say that if someone doesn't go with the 3500 DRW they are putting their family at risk. Surely you can see how this would be offensive to someone?????? With this logic, why didn't you opt for a semi truck with a roll cage and armor plating???? The point is that we all care for our families and to imply that we don't because we didn't buy what you did is uncalled for, IMHO.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:00 AM   #77

Quote:
I would prefer you and anyone else reading this later know that the 20% number is nonsense.

+1
Old 02-04-2015, 10:03 AM   #78

That certainly wasn't my intention....if it came across that way, I apologize.....thanks to everyone for your input

2016 Silverado Dually
2016 Cedar Creek Champagne 38el
Old 02-04-2015, 11:48 AM   #79

@Total Bliss

I for one, and may be limited in this opinion do not think your quest of being under by 20% is nonsense. In fact, although the first time I have read it, think it is a good rule of thumb based on my personal experiance while towing.

I have towed with jeeps, half tons, 3/4 tons and 1 tons. During my time, though be it brief I have maxed out them all with the exception of the 1 ton, which give me time and I am sure I will max it out as well lol. I have found ideal performance for my driving capability to be roughly 2000 pds under the recomended max towing capacity of the vehical I was driving. I also found that length of the travel trailer, especially when using a smaller wheel based Jeep played a significant role in my compfort level as the driver while towing. A 4000 pd 20 ft trailer towed great while a 4000pd 27ft trailer towed very badly.

My current trailer on the scales weights in just under 14000pds loaded, water and all. I towed it with a chipped 2007 duramax crew cab with short box and I was impressed. Loads of power and it felt good, enough to say I would venture out on longer trips with little concern. I tow it with a dually now, only difference I can state is I feel nothing in wind or passing trucks. If that's because of the dually or I have the long box and extended wheel base I do not know, or care really.

I think you have a good rule of thumb, will be happy and made a great combo choice with no regrets. If you had of gone with the 3/4 I am not sure it would be the same, may have been good enough for some but that's not the case for everyone.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:03 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by X96mnn View Post
@Total Bliss

I for one, and may be limited in this opinion do not think your quest of being under by 20% is nonsense. In fact, although the first time I have read it, think it is a good rule of thumb based on my personal experiance while towing.

I have towed with jeeps, half tons, 3/4 tons and 1 tons. During my time, though be it brief I have maxed out them all with the exception of the 1 ton, which give me time and I am sure I will max it out as well lol. I have found ideal performance for my driving capability to be roughly 2000 pds under the recomended max towing capacity of the vehical I was driving. I also found that length of the travel trailer, especially when using a smaller wheel based Jeep played a significant role in my compfort level as the driver while towing. A 4000 pd 20 ft trailer towed great while a 4000pd 27ft trailer towed very badly.

My current trailer on the scales weights in just under 14000pds loaded, water and all. I towed it with a chipped 2007 duramax crew cab with short box and I was impressed. Loads of power and it felt good, enough to say I would venture out on longer trips with little concern. I tow it with a dually now, only difference I can state is I feel nothing in wind or passing trucks. If that's because of the dually or I have the long box and extended wheel base I do not know, or care really.

I think you have a good rule of thumb, will be happy and made a great combo choice with no regrets. If you had of gone with the 3/4 I am not sure it would be the same, may have been good enough for some but that's not the case for everyone.
Sounds to me you have a lot of towing experience, so I respect and appreciate that you understand what I was trying to say.
Thank you for your response.

Tags
tow vehicle