Old 10-20-2015, 01:03 PM   #11

Winterize whirlpool icemaker-residential style

I recently was shown by a technician how to perform a proper winterization on a whirlpool style icemaker on a residential style refrigerator. The majority of refrigerator makers use the whirlpool style. I thought I would share this information as we all know we don't want any leaking water in the spring. The first step is to drain all water from any low point drains if you have them. The next step is to pressurize the system with a "blow out" style plug available at most RV dealers or you can make one up from fittings found at most hardware stores. Charge the system to 30# pressure. Drain all faucets, etc. first as normally performed. The next step is to get the water blown from the icemaker line. In order to perform this you need to first tape the freezer door open button in the closed position. Remove the cover from the end of the icemaker. You should see a large gear and directly under this there are two test ports marked T and H. You will need a short piece of insulated wire with the ends stripped to a 1/2" bare. Bend the wire and push both ends into the ports. The gear will start to move and you should hear a small click in about 5 seconds. Remove the wire. The icemaker will cycle and the water solenoid will open allowing air to blow through the system and blow out the water. You can make sure that the pressure is still up and do this several times to clear all water from the lines. You might want to hold a towel up to prevent spray all over. Once no more water comes out of the line when activated, you should be good. If you now to choose to antifreeze the system, you just perform the normal antifreeze procedure by pumping the systems full. All you have to do is now cycle the icemaker again a few times to get the antifreeze through the line. You can rest assured this will do it. In the spring, once hooked up to water just make sure you cycle the icemaker several times to clear the antifreeze. Hope this helps!

Old 10-20-2015, 06:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicmoke View Post
I recently was shown by a technician how to perform a proper winterization on a whirlpool style icemaker on a residential style refrigerator. ...
Thanks, this is fantastic detail. It sent me off elsewhere on the net to look for Whirlpool ice maker manuals and procedures, and I see explanations that are consistent with yours.

I had originally thought that I had to get to the back of the ice maker, but you have shown that I just need to remove the front panel.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:48 PM   #13

Very nice info. This should be a "sticky".
Old 01-05-2016, 03:41 PM   #14

Can't you just unhook line to ice maker from both sides and it will drain
Old 01-05-2016, 05:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkplace View Post
Can't you just unhook line to ice maker from both sides and it will drain
The problem is that the back of the line is behind the fridge, so it is hard to reach. Also, there is no guarantee that the refrigerator doesn't have an internal supply line until it gets to the ice maker. Obviously, the ice maker itself is safe when frozen, but all the parts up to that point could be damaged by freezing.
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 05:55 PM   #16

I just leave the ice maker on with the water pump on and let the ice maker cycle till the ice maker is making pink ice cubes or trying too. The only thing I worry about is the water line that feeds the ice maker, I keep the furnace on and the temperature set at like 50 degrees

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 06:10 PM   #17

I used compressed air, hooked up the compressor and set it to approx 45 lbs. I let the ice maker cycle three times and on the last cycle there wasn't anything but air coming out into the ice maker. I guess I'll know in a few months for sure, but I'm fairly confident this method beats removal of the solenoid or antifreeze.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:41 PM   #18

The 2016 camping season is finally here and using the method I used to winterize my Cottage worked without any problems. Sure beats filling everything with antifreeze and dealing with the lingering after taste.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:14 PM   #19

We're thinking about using a compressor this year. It sounds like a pain getting pink ice cubes. We'll see how it goes.
Gibbsey
Old 11-06-2016, 10:35 AM   #20

Whirlpool refrigerator winterization

This year I winterized my rv with Whirlpool residential refrig using the compressed air blowout method. Even when the rv was fully purged of water I kept getting spurting water and gurgling noise when pressing the cold water button in the refrig. I discovered there was a "S" shaped water resevoiur inside the refrig behind the crisper drawers, to help cool the water I suppose. Even with the compressed air blowing through this resevoiur the water in it would not blow out. I had to remove the resevoiur and drain it manually. This would most likely have broken if frozen.