Old 08-27-2013, 09:48 PM   #1

Whirlpool refrigerator ice maker

I have a 2014 Cedar Creek Cottage. It has a residential refrigerator with an ice maker. Can someone tell me the most effective way to winterized the ice maker? I have been an rv owner for many years but I have never winterized an ice maker before. The cottage also has a dish washer, that should be easy. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:31 AM   #2
Former Full Timer

The key to winterizing the ice maker is getting the water out of the solenoid. You should disconnect the inlet at the solenoid and run potable antifreeze through it. There should be a valve upstream. I also disconnected the outlet, let the feed tube drain. With both tubes disconnected, the solenoid valve should drain. You do not want pink stuff in the feed tube or the ice tray (from experience). It's a pain to clean it out. There are other ways to do it as well. The first time I winterized it I cycled the ice maker (remove the front cover and use a jumper wire) but that's how you get pink stuff in the ice mold. Took forever to clean it out. No ice till you do!

Hope this helps.

Elbert Hubbard
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:05 PM   #3

Yes it does, thanks for the help. I may try blowing the lines out with compressed air. The compressor has a regulator on it and I will set the pressure at 20 psi. Thanks for the input!
Old 08-29-2013, 05:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray B View Post
Yes it does, thanks for the help. I may try blowing the lines out with compressed air. The compressor has a regulator on it and I will set the pressure at 20 psi. Thanks for the input!
That should do it, but you will need the icemaker to go through a cycle to open the solenoid. If you could get to the solenoid, you could disconnect the wires from the refer and connect 120 VAC to the solenoid while applying air pressure. I got lucky last winter. It never got cold enough for me to have to purge the icemaker lines.

2012 CC 36CKTS Touring Edition
[SIZE=2]2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:01 PM   #5

Well I live in Illinois and the camper I'd in Michigan thanks for you're input!
Old 10-16-2015, 11:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
The key to winterizing the ice maker is getting the water out of the solenoid. You should disconnect the inlet at the solenoid and run potable antifreeze through it. There should be a valve upstream. I also disconnected the outlet, let the feed tube drain. With both tubes disconnected, the solenoid valve should drain. You do not want pink stuff in the feed tube or the ice tray (from experience). It's a pain to clean it out. There are other ways to do it as well. The first time I winterized it I cycled the ice maker (remove the front cover and use a jumper wire) but that's how you get pink stuff in the ice mold. Took forever to clean it out. No ice till you do!

Hope this helps.
I've got a Berkshire 34QS with a Whirlpool fridge that is pushed back into a cabinet. Is there an easy way to get to the solenoid without pulling out the fridge? Is it inside the freezer compartment?

I've tried making icecubes with either air pressure on the icemaker line or air pressure pushing pink throught the line. But, I seem to need the fridge on and with the icemaker set to make ice. But, this takes many hours to set up. Is there a better way?
Old 10-17-2015, 02:27 PM   #7

How I finally winterized the Whirlpool icemaker

I finally got my Whirlpool icemaker winterized with the pink antifreeze.

One problem was that the icemaker line was incredibly long, since it started under the **bathroom** sink. (My kitchen is on a slide but the bathroom isn't, so this line has to be extra long to be able to flex -- a really bad design.)

I've wanted to switch it to the kitchen sink, so I cut the icemaker line under the kitchen sink and attached a 1/4" compression fitting with a female garden hose fitting (found one already made and didn't have to build it up!). Then, I took an external Camco Pur water filter unit and removed the filter and replaced it with pink. Attached the filter housing to the hose fitting. Then, I put pressure on the filter with my compressed air.

The next thing to do is to turn on the fridge and let this sit overnight. You need to get it to go through one or two ice-cube cycles to make sure the pink gets to the fridge.

An alternative might be to just put air pressure on the icemaker line and wait to hear it hiss in the freezer. But, it never got that far for me, probably because i still had the long line from the bathroom sink and it would stop whenver it thought it had enough fluid to make a batch of ice. I guess if I left the pressure on for a couple of days with the freezer running, I could keep emptying the icecube tray and when it stopped filling, I'd know that the line was clear. I'll try that next year.
Old 10-19-2015, 03:52 PM   #8

I have winterized three times now since post. I pull the solenoid off the refrigerator and bring it home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 10-19-2015, 03:54 PM   #9

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1445284440.937986.jpg
Views: 1004
Size:  35.3 KB

Old 10-19-2015, 03:54 PM   #10

Next 👆🏻